Is Ocean World worth the trip?

Hi,

We're a family with 4 teenagers from USA staying in Las Terrenas for 6 weeks as we start our transition to Samana next year.

We're planning a weekend trip mainly for the teens. Is Ocean World worth the trip?

If we decide to travel up the North Coast, would also like to meet some North American expats in Cabrera and Cabarate. If there's a night that expats tend to meet up please let us know.

Thanks,

Toy & Rich

Hi guys,

Love Las Terrenas.   You guys have made a wise choice.  I think your teens will find heaven down here in my neighborhood, and you will like it as well. .  I live on Playa Encuentro, the surfer paradise here.  We grownups gather wistfully, but there are always groups sipping wine or chugging a beer in town.  There are karaoke nights all the time.  Kahuna, VoyVoy and many other beach  clubs.  Many, many expats: USA, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Russia, Brits, Italians, you name it.   Come on down and say hello.

The kids might enjoy Monkey Jungle and the zip line more.

Bob K

Bob, must be an old Post. The Zip line & Monkey jungle died in the plane crash.  IF, & how fervently I wish that some savior appeared to save the clinic & establishment.  If so, please inform me of such a grand enterprise has come back to life.

For what it's worth it seems like the website is at least functional http://monkeyjungledr.com/

Research the story that ended in a true tragedy for the local poor & the owner operators of such a wonderful place.  Many people cried at their deaths.

It is up and operating and recently went over a very nice face lift. Currently being over seen by the parents of Candy who along with her husband Chuck died in the plane crash 2 years ago.
Both the medical clinic and dental clinic are also operating as they always have. 
A great place to spend the day.

Bob K

Yes monkey jungle is a great option.

It is always hard to know what someone else will like. We can only share our experience. Thousands love Ocean World too. I personally did not like it as I have had previous more natural experiences with Dolphins.  Your teenagers may love it.

Monkey jungle is a more natural experience. I love how they give back to the community! I have not been there since they reopened.

Thanks Bob for the clarification!

Thanks Bob.  I have not had the freedom of driving about since the degradation of sight. I miss the freedom of exploration & the finding of the "HIDDEN ANGELS" as I call the quiet people who give without fanfare.

Wow! I had never heard of Monkey Jungle and the fantastic work that they are doing through their clinics. We will make the trip there from Las Terrenas next time we're down.

Thanks wveryone for all the great info! Nit only had we not heard of Monkey Jungle but definitely not the tragedy behind the original owners.

So glad it's back open and also carrying on the mission. We're definitely going to visit while here.

As Planner said, you never know what someone else will like, but I was given a tour of Ocean World by the management a few months ago, and was surprised at what a sterile and artificial environment it was.  Kind of sad really.  I had hoped for a much more dynamic and engaging environment.  Instead it was Disney minus.

Most of those kind of places are. Go to the Monkey Jungle for a taste of reality & interactive fun time. Plus you will be helping to further the great good that they do for the poor. A beautiful ridge top setting, great for lunch or snacks. An unusual experience for all people. The zip line is awe inspiring.  And yes, there are monkeys, lots of them. Don't pass up an opportunity to visit them.  It is the kind of place that you will want to return    to again.

Tinker - that sounds like an ad!!!  :lol::lol::lol:

I have in the past written some ad copy. However, in no way was it an ad, Just a heart felt appreciation of the place & the good works that they perform. It is a grand place & I suggest to all to experience it for themselves.  If you have ever been there, you will acknowledge that I did not embellish my description.  'Tis folly to suggest so.

No suggestion at all. It was a compliment my friend. Maybe they should copy it..... :)

Thank you Planner. I guess that I may be overly sensitive at the present time.  I never knew that George Carlin was dead until yesterday.  I need to get out more!

Yikes honey!   Yup you need to get out more!

I sure do, however can only afford my "Seeing Eye " girl twice a week.

That is brutal  my friend!

What is brutal?  I refer to her as my seeing eye girl with affection. She laughs & refers to her self as being better than a white cane, woof-woof!  She really does. Has a great sense of humor & we laugh a lot at my present affliction.  Believe me, if she thought that I was demeaning her, she would slap me up side my head. She is an intelligent woman, studying architecture & takes night courses in English.  You will please explain what you meant by "Brutal. Being almost totally blind & knowing that, that too is going is what to me is brutal, not having a "Seeing Eye" girl.  Thank goodness neither she nor I have lost sight of the value of humor in life.

What is brutal my friend is that your current situation leaves you with limited means.

What is brutal is your misinterpretation of my words of support.

What is brutal is the sadness that I feel when I realize your state of mind and state of affairs.

My error. Thank you for your empathy & support.  I should sit back & accept what fate has dealt.  I do doubt that I will ever be able to go gently into that good night;  I shall rage & fight until I have shuffled off this mortal coil.  Thank you Darlene, you have always had my back & continue to do so, a true friend.  Now to return to topic. ..............  Take the Teleferico to the top of the mountain, beautiful gardens, a spectacular view.  Rio San Juan, take the lagoon ride.