How to pay utilities and expenses in Brazil without a bank account

Hi there,
I received a property via an inheritance proceeding.
I am facing alot of problems paying utilities due to the complicated and intricate bank system.
The main reason is the I am not resident in Brasil and consequentially i am not able to open a bank account there without being resident.
How can I pay utilities and all the expenses of the properties without a bank account there?
This is turning to be a nightmare.
How could a country such as Brasil promote to foreigners to invest if after they don't allowed them to look after the properties by paying taxes and expenses as a correct person should be doing?
This feels very much such a screwedup system that ends up in screwing the foreigner investor. If you are not able to pay they end up bringing you to court and seize your property. This sounds like a robbery.
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion on how to handle issues such as this one?
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Regards

I don't know where you live but there are Brazillian transfer stores in the Us that you can send money to someone in Brazil to pay these bills for you. There are also management and lawyer services that can do it as well. Bottom line is you need someone in Brazil not only to pay but to check and maintain the property.

Forgot to mention, you can also send a atm card for example on an account where you have more than one, the person on Brazil can use the Blanco 24 hours and receive the one thousand per 24 hours so you can monitor. If a problem you can close the account. Using Santander bank machines with a us Santander card is slightly cheaper

Use something called a Boleto.  Whatever is the outstanding balance in any utility bill or any bil whatsoever, you can actually generate a banking "Boleto". Take the boleto's printout, head to a bank teller, and then present the cash in hand to pay for the bill.  Save the posted and paid receipt.

Little older post, did you find an answer?
Do you have Citi bank near? Do not know if it can help but it is the only bank I saw in Italy that I am aware of having presence in Brasil.
Many US banks as Banco do Brasil, Santander and others could not help with Brasil, but worth a shot.
I do not believe in trusting an individual you do not know to send funds.
Maybe contacting Banco do Brasil as to wiring money with the bill (bar code) to them, but I am just guessing here.
The inheritance, was it finalized in Brasil? If so what lawyer? He/she may help for a fee.
Have you travel to Brazil? I sure would if you want to retain the property and speak with at least the utilities, but really finding how to do this in person.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Do you have Citi bank near? Do not know if it can help but it is the only bank I saw in Italy that I am aware of having presence in Brasil.

also Santander

I used HSBC for years until they changed to Bradesco,  Citibank also but the branch is to far, have Santander now they are everywhere, but still find it cheaper to use the Blanco 24 atm machines. Out of the three Citibank is the cheapest in the banco 24 machines

Curious if anyone else has found a solution to this problem. I recently purchased a property in Rio de Janeiro and I am unable to open a bank account to pay the IPTU and utilities.

I'm currently in the process of applying for the investor visa, but this will take months and I will need to pay taxes and bills before I get the visa. I've tried some of the newer digital banks like Nubank and C6 Bank, but they all require an RG or CNH. At this stage, I only have a CPF.

Someone recommended hiring a property manager temporarily, but it seems excessive. It seems odd that Brazil allows a foreigner to purchase a property, but doesn't allow it to maintain the logistics.

Any insights would be helpful. Thanks!

Many use the Loteria Brasil to pay in cash. Copy of bill with bar code or bar code #. Must have CPF. I went with wife while awaiting on CRNM and can not recall if my protocol # worked of she just used her BR ID.
Yes BR allows investments, but normally many get CRNM first then buy property. I went to lawyer with protocol and he handle the process with the real estate agent.
There will be a few experts here that may help you.

Aleit wrote:

Hi there,
I received a property via an inheritance proceeding.
I am facing alot of problems paying utilities due to the complicated and intricate bank system.
The main reason is the I am not resident in Brasil and consequentially i am not able to open a bank account there without being resident.
How can I pay utilities and all the expenses of the properties without a bank account there?
This is turning to be a nightmare.
How could a country such as Brasil promote to foreigners to invest if after they don't allowed them to look after the properties by paying taxes and expenses as a correct person should be doing?
This feels very much such a screwedup system that ends up in screwing the foreigner investor. If you are not able to pay they end up bringing you to court and seize your property. This sounds like a robbery.
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion on how to handle issues such as this one?
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Regards

You have to know someone who can pay the bill for you if you don´t want a realtor/administrator professional to pay the bills. IPTU booklets go to the address of the property once a year and the utility bills for water, electricity and condo fees (if it´s an apt) monthly. If you know someone, send him a pre-paid reloadable visa ATM where you can recharge the exact amount needed for the IPTU or the utility bills. Easy to monitor if he paid and can´t spend on anything else as you only reloaded the amount needed. That is indeed taxing for someone so a professional administrator is needed especially if the lawn needs mowing.

robal

I am in similar situation - I bought a property in Brazil for investment purposes but I am not a Brazilian permanent or temporary resident nor a citizen. I am not able to open a bank account in Brazil in order to my condominium fee, utility bills and IPTU. For a period of time I was sending $ to a local property manager in Brazil to pay bills on my behalf but what I don't see anyone mention above is that the $ you are sending to the person in Brazil is counted as ‘income' for that individual and has tax consequences. Over the course of 3-4 years of sending $ to same individual, his locals Caixa bank stopped processing my transfers to him and started asking the property manager for numerous documents, proof etc as to why he was receiving $ from abroad every month. In addition to that, the property manager got spooked when he found out he has to pay taxes on that transfers he was getting from me. Due to this for the last two months I have not been able to pay bills - my internet service in my Brazil apt was cut off this month due to overdue bills. I get almost daily emails from Apt management about overdue condo fee

I don't know what to do at this point. I use TransferWise (now Wise) to send $ but you cannot send $ to Brazil businesses using their services, you can send only to ‘individuals'.

I talked to a Brazil attorney- his proposal is to form a limitada (LLC in USA) in Brazil that allows foreigners non residents to open a bank account. But that is a long and expensive process requiring local partner or local power of attorney, accountant and filing taxes etc.

I am at a loss! No idea what to do now.

I thought about going to Brazil and pay 6 months of bills in advance but I don't know if that's even possible and secondly the airfares are so expensive right now.

The easiest way is to open a account in the US give your guy in Brazil a ATM debit card. You can just keep a special amount in that account. Have him go to ATM take out the cash and pay the bills. Give him a good fee for helping you. This way he doesn't get income added to his account he shouldn't be responsible for paying taxes just for helping you.

NewBrazil thanks for the idea - definitely worth investigating!

once again.  Boleto printed. bank account set, you can use your ATM and deduct the boleto from your balance.   Overseas CC or Debit Card, give it a try.. 

I am in the same situation as you guys. You learn that trusting someone in Brazil has its positive and negative situations. This person can be taking the money and not paying the bills. Then you are left in a situation where your property is taken.

I not sure if there are Managment companies. I know in some apartments buildings in São Paulo they will do all this for about. 20% of the rental of the property. They do everything from renting it to making sure it cleaned and repairs. You may want to ask around if there are in your area.

I know....old thread KKKKKKK

Saw the regular month end bank line up last month of people without internet or online account access lining up to pay bills at BdB, ITAU, etc......painful..........literally outside the door, down the block and pressed against the building so as to stay in the shade.

It was as bad as the mega senha line up on NYE KKKKKKKKKKK

As a foreigner, you can open a bank account with Rendimento which allows you to pay by boleto and pix.  Works great and while there are two tiers, I downgraded to the cheap one and am still able to pay all my bills (cell, condo, utilities, etc) using the lower tier account.