Resident visa 9VI

Hello =)

I have been looking around the site and online but I have only got more confused so I have a resident visa of 9VI and A cedula and the visa says I can stay indefinitely...I got this visa on January 5 2017...However due to not been able to find a job I have decided to return to my home country work awhile there and return here again because my husband doesnt want to migrate. Anyway my question is to do with how long can I be out of the country and not lose my residency?

I was thinking of going in October because then I would have stayed here for 21 months but that is where I am confused am I only allowed out of the country for 180 days or can I go out for up to 5 years and still return with residency?

Also does anyone know if there are any legal charges on this?

We did the visa process ourselves and there were many different bits of information we were given so I really do not want to go through the stressful residency process again.

If anyone can give me some advice I would be so grateful

For any person whose intention  is to become a long-term Resident of Ecuador (i.e. for more than the two year period of Residency that is granted to any Temporary Resident of Ecuador), a type of visa known as a “Permanent Residency Visa” exists for that purpose.  A person on a Ecuador Permanent Resident Visa is permitted to leave Ecuador up to 180 days in their first year of Permanent Residency, and once again up to 180 days in their second year of Permanent Residency – failure to adhere to this 180 day requirement in either of one's first two years  (counted from the date that a person's Permanent Residency Visa stamp is placed into their foreign issued Passport), will result in the loss of one's Permanent Residency Visa.

That being said, after one's first two years have been completed on their Permanent Residency Visa, a Permanent Resident is permitted to leave Ecuador for up to 5 years and not face any monetary penalty, nor any loss of their Permanent Residency Visa

I just read this on the forum so if I go by this if I am in the country for 2 years then I would be allowed out of the country for up to 5 years and not lose my residency? Because I have never left this country since I came.

Perhaps it's a good idea to count the days from when you were issued the cédula. At least this is my understanding of accrued number of days for residency matters.

My cedula was registered on the 16-01-2017 but my visa is valid from 05-01-2017 So I guess if I was going to be safe if I left the country next year after the 16th of Jan then I wouldnt lose my residency and could be outside for up to 5 years?

Alexsandra123 wrote:

I just read this on the forum so if I go by this....

The immigration law changed around the time you obtained residency, so something (no date mentioned) in your post that you "just read on the forum" may or may not be out of date, even if it was posted more recently.  Remember that we are 99.9 percent laymen Expats on the forum and may not be up to date on the newer wrinkles of the law.  Also, what's allowed by one immigration office may not apply in other offices around La República.

You are a prime candidate for a consultation with an immigration attorney, even if it's for one hour only, over the phone or via email.

Contact top-rated attorney Sebastian Cordero at scordero(at)rcpabogados.com ...  Dr. Cordero has offices in Quito and on the coast.

If you can find out what you need to know in three questions, I would guess the brief consult would be gratis.

cccmedia in Quito

Yes I have become well aware of the ways of the laws here meaning that everyone has their own variation. When I got a document translated a govt official insisted the document was not translated in spanish even though it so clearly was...But thats off topic.

That info I read matches the info I read from ecuaassist.com. I am just a bit confused that is all and was wondering if anyone here because there are people here that definitely have more experience than me could explain.

I could go see an attorney or some legal consul I am just a bit wary.

Thank you to the replies so far =)

Confused and wary.  That sounds about right under the circumstances that all Expats seeking residency face.

You're on the right track.  Keep persisting and get advice from recommended sources and you'll be OK. :top:

cccmedia in Quito