Make the right move !

Hi All

My name is John and since coming back from Bulgaria I seem to have got the bug for buying a house with large garden in order to move there.
I've seen a property and like the price so now it seems to be slowly moving towards reality. The agents advertising this property inform me that I should send by transfer the sum of two thousand euros as a non returnable deposit. Now to my way of thinking, if I transfer the money and never hear a dicky bird again, I'm up the creek !
I wonder if the above sounds usual or should I run away now ?
The property I'm interested in comes with a large garden and I have heard that you are unable to own land unless you reside there.
I must admit that I'm totally confused as to what would be the best move to make from now.
I would kindly ask if there's anyone out there that could shed some light, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this post.

John.

Hi John, I personally would not send money to anyone without checking out the estate agent with a fine tooth comb......two thousand euros seems alot of money for a deposit. Especially a non returnable one.....It isnt true that you have to live here to own land, I know lots of people who have bought houses with large gardens who dont live here permanently. When we bought over here we had to form a company in able to buy a house with land, but if I remember rightly they changed the law a couple of years ago. All I can say to you is do your research, dont do anything that you wouldnt do in the UK,  go on every forum and site you can find and ask questions.... There are lots of good people who can give you advice. Do you go on facebook, if you do there are lots of pages on there about living and buying property in bulgaria............

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering if it would be a better and safer idea to travel out to the agents in order to see them in person and at least get a receipt or better still some sort of signed document that gets the ball rolling.
I'm going to do some 'homework' on this and will checkout 'Facebook' as you've suggested.

Thanks for the advice.

Best wishes.

John.

Hi John,

Do not, I repeat DO NOT, send the agents any money to secure the house. There are some scam agents out there, and you may never see that money again, let alone actually have any rights to owner ship of the property. As Bullador suggests, really do your homework on this one, it might be best to seek out the advice of a translator ( with knowledge in the legal system too, he /she could be money well spent ) and their fees are very reasonable.

All the best.

Hi

Thanks for the advice .........., I'm sure you will well understand that you see something and you want it ! ...., panic mode sets in and I'm sure it is then I would make a mistake. I plan on making another trip out there soon and will visit agents office to get more of a feel for how they operate. Whilst there I'll try and sort out a solicitor, all good fun as I only know how to say 'Hello' !

Best wishes and thanks once again,

john B

Johnstuart

Don't send the money until you read my post on "riped off" https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=786115

Try use an agent via recommendation. 

Try
https://mowlem.eu/
for pay monthly deals