Abqaia

Hi

My husband will be moving to Saudi in a month and I plan to follow him after 6 months. I am a little Nervous and was hoping someone could give some advice?

We will be moving to Abqaia in Aramco compound. I wanted to know what's it like living on a compound? I have two children 3 year old and 18month old. How do you pass time? What is available on the compound? Is there a mix of people? Is it easy to make friends? Are the compounds quiet old?

Can it get lonely? I come from London and it's busy here and I have a huge family too so I guess I am really nervous I will get lonely and won't find things to do.

Thanks in advance and any help and tips will be great.

🙂🙂🙂

Nisha,

First it is Abqaiq or Buqaiq, a small town in the eastern province. Aramco compound here is a medium size compound consisted of about 300+ houses. There are people of many nationalities including UK, US, Canada, Asia and other European countries. The compound has many facilities including school, hospital, a small shopping mall, tennis courts, badminton courts, gyms, swimming pools, squash courts, cricket field, basketball court, football fields, horse riding club and a small cinema etc. People are friendly and there is no problem socializing. There are also many social events throughout the year. There are also two Aramco controlled beaches at 40 minutes drive from the camp. The nearest metropolitan cities are Dammam and Khober both at about 1 hour drive. People normally go to these cities to do shopping as well as visit restaurants and fast food chains (almost all are there).  Although there is a conservative dress code enforced outside the camp, there is no major restriction inside the camp.
Hope this will relieve some of your anxiety in moving to a new place and you can write me at [email protected] if you are looking for some specific information.

Ok I may recommend you to see this video about Abqaia Compound on youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5IzWV_Di6E

That it may give you good view ..

In general finding friends in Saudi Arabia for expats not so easy and fast to have ! but I'm sure in Compounds you may have some but not the same as your home land !

If you were living out of Compounds I'd say it is really time boring and will suffer searching for someone to talk even..

But It is nice you have to start looking for a friends from now on until you arrive and then discover the beautiful Saudi Arabia

Hi

Thank you so much for the information given. It's so useful and helpful. It's made me feel more confident too. I hear people also travel quiet allot too to get out and explore the new outing countries.

How are the schools on the compound? Is it hard to find a nanny? Which nationality of nannies are good and how much should one be paying for one a month? Are there many things for adults to learn like a sport, cooking classes or learning a new language.

When does it start to get hot? So sorry for all the questions but better I learn now then later.

Are there any other forums I can join or expat groups? Thanks in advance :-)

Nisha,

How are the schools on the compound? The schools in there are international schools , have american / British curriculum  , so they are very good .

Is it hard to find a nanny?  sometimes yes , it depends on how do you want it ( to be sponsored by you ) which is difficult but this legal way . or Nanny without sponsorship which is faster to find and easy.. Here in Saudi Arabia the good nationalities for nannies are the beautiful Asian people ( Philippine , Indonesia, Indian etc.. ) salaries it depends on experience of the nanny but i think ( im not sure ) it will be from 2500 - 4000 Saudi Riyals

Are there many things for adults to learn like a sport, cooking classes or learning a new language ?  There are lots of activities for adults inside the compounds where you can fulfilled your time . but in general it is easy to find paid courses to learn new things..

When does it start to get hot? March , April , MAY , JUNE , AUGUST , SEPTEMBER , October.. and sometimes changes.

well there is another new website for me seems good to make more activities and meet new friends .. I will send it in private message .