BUYING A VEHICLE IN DR

thanks for the help, planner. to everyone out there looking for a car....i will be up and about by Monday of next week.  it will be a case of less talk and more drive..

Hello My name is Jean Blaise im Live in NJ i recently bought a newbuild house in a community in Punta cana. I am planning on buying a car before December, I plan on using it when i go on vacation.  I want a all wheel drive or 4x4 that is fuel efficient.  I would like to know about the prices , a reliable place to make a purchase or would it be better if i bought one here in the US and exported it there.
My email is [link moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum . Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Welcome to the forums. There are lots of details on threads about this.

Unless you are going to use the residencia exemption, shipping a vehicle is very expensive.

Buying here is very much buyer beware!  A vehicle will cost at least 25% more than you think.

If you contact member Cruffman by private message he can help you.  I have personally used his services. He knows the market here And his fees are very low compared to what he does!
I have worked with Cruffman too and he is reliable and knows what he is doing.  I found him very easy to work with, and he will get you exactly what you want from your budget and your needs.  If its not possible, he will also tell you.   For example, if there are no vehicles in your price range, you have to up the budget or downgrade the expectations.  Since the pandemic, prices have gone up because the damand is high, and the inventory is lower. The process to get the MATRICULA (the ownership of the car) needs to be done correctly and Cruffman will do it right!    Another tip, if you find a vehicle on a website you want, beware, its likely not the same one that is being sold!
Right Karin
He has a long list of satisfied clients

Me among them
@jdb4real

Hi Jean

If you want to contact someone directly, you click on their name, then you are redirected and you and make a request to this person, to add to your contacts.  This is not really necessary but if you forget their name, now you can find them because there is not an easy way to find people by name, as far as I can tell.  The other option on this redirected page is to SEND A MESSAGE to them. This is where you can give your contact details. This ways its private.   

Karin
Also, isn't the rule as follows for shipping a car:
The car can't be more than 5 years old (from date of manufacture) AND you must have it paid in full, with the title in your name, for a minimum of one year prior to shipping it to the DR?

Or, I may be wrong on that last part.
Yes.... that is correct........ 5yrs, debt free, 1yr of ownership
I  believe you are correct @colmcb

good morning  how do i register a scooter in dr

Safe bet is buy new unless you have trusted contacts. Get them first if you must buy used. Don't even look until you have that contact unless you yourself are very knowledgeable.  I've seen what these dealers do first hand. They buy here in USA at auctions;  cars that dealerships her don't want i.e. very high mileage. They will paint them there and replace seat coverings but there's only so much they can hide. And with other wear I've seen, they often roll back mileage. Many I saw had been in an accident.

My 1st RD purchase was a low miles car with 6 months factory warranty left

I forget where I bought it

2nd was a used MUX Isuzu......medium miles.... bought at NdeC dealership

Neither car gave me trouble

Recent car was bought 'as new'..... 4,300kms, driven by owner of the dealership

Bought at Ochoa in STI.... a HUGE dealer.

Using Cruffman as your car concierge takes the legwork and guess work out of car buying.

I agree. Cruffman has helped many get vehicles.  He knows the vehicles, the players and many of the tricks.

@saki_427nyc LOL. everyone is a mechanic of some kind in DR. Much easier there than USA.

Welcome to the forums. Just because they call themselves a mechanic does not mean they know what they are doing!

@WillieWeb

Hi WillieWed,

We live in Luperon

we would like to buy a second hand pick up

Is it possible for you to recommend somebody who can help with the purchase?

thank you

best regards

@cruffman

Hi Mr Cruffman,

We are living as a family in Luperon and want now to buy a large second hand car, preferably  a pick-up

I have read  very good comments about your work..

We would be delighted if you could you assist us in this research?

I don't know much in mecanics…and don't speak spanish

thank you

Best regards

Guillaume

I will make sure he sees this

@Thoreau Guillaume et Caroline

hi there....thank for reaching out to me. please shoot me a whatsapp number so i can call you and we can exchange ideas

have a great evening

@cruffman

Thank you for you for your quick reply

our What's app number +33 ***

Looking forward talking to you

Guillume

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Thoreau Guillaume et Caroline

will call you later this evening...stay dry..

@planner

Hi. I was planning on buying a new car in the States and then having it shipped. Isn't this better than buying a used car in the D.R.?

Thanks for your advice.

Wendy

The import tax for a new car shipped in can be HUGE. Also, have you seen the crazy drivers in DR? No way I would drive a new car.

Car must be owned a year for non dealer imports. It will be valued based on prices here and you will pay the taxes plus shipping.

Thank you all for replying. Definitely something to think on!!!

@wndysgoodlife If you are getting your residency, you can get a break on the import tax on the vehicle, as well as paying no import duty on a container of personal/household items shipped in.

@ddmcghee

the allowance has to be utilized within the first six months of residency, or it is nullified

Wow! Sounds exactly like what I hoped. Really good info.! Thanks so much!

I'm trying to weigh options and am sort of nervous buying a used vehicle. Also concerned about a car I don't know that well breaking down.

I usually buy new and keep it forever. My car now is a 2005 Toyota Matrix. It'll be time for a new one in awhile. Those cars are so darn good!