Things to do in Mumbai

Mrs Sand and I are visiting Mumbai in a couple of weeks and are planning to take 2 days to do some sight seeing in Mumbai...

What are your top three recommendations?

1. See the Gateway. That's at Colaba; you can take a train to Churchgate/CST depending on if you'll be on the Western Rail side or Central rail side respectively (you can ask this to anyone on the street and they'll tell you which line is closest)

2. While you're at the Gateway, you can take a ferry ride either around the harbour or if you have more time then to Elephanta Island. Be very careful to not take any photographs near the naval docks or pretty much anywhere on the way to Elephanta. It's all Naval water and you camera can be summarily confiscated.

3. When you're done with that, you can walk down Colaba Causway and find Leopold's Cafe. Enjoy a beer and try the Nachos with cheese dip.

4. If you like museums, you can visit the Shhatrapathi Shivaji Museum(Prince of Wales). That's opposite Regal cinema, also at Colaba.

5. Walk down Marine drive - If your in South Mumbai, get a cab and ask to be taken to the Oberoi Hotel/Air India Building. The promenade starts there and runs for a few kilometers. Best to go there at about 5-6 pm. Too hot before that this time of the year.

Thanks VB :)

Where in Mumbai would you be staying?
Do you wish to visit the regular touristy places? or explore the other parts of mumbai?
You can also go to the outskirts of Mumbai for a day trip n be back

If you are in Mumbai you have to have to visit Colaba and Bandra...

I suggest you start your day with a good breakfast/brunch at bonobo (bandra) or Theoborma (bandra) or Suzette creperie and café (Nariman Point)or Le Pain Quotidien (Colaba, opp Indigo Deli).

After your sumptuous breakfast or brunch head to the streets of Colaba (i.e if you dont mind Bombay heat) n if you have had your breakfast at Colaba then simply cross the street and indulge in some shopping.

The colourful street is where you can buy some really good stuff to take back (i hope you have good bargaining skills :) and I suggest you do not settle for the price quoted by the vendors.

You can stop at Cafe Mondegar (for beer and prawns biryani maybe) or Cafe leopold for beer and nachos.

Early evening you can head to gateway of India and take a ferry to elephanta caves (i suggest you google it before you go there... to see if it interests you)

Later in the evening... you can go to blue frog or busaba or valhalla or shiros (all of these are not very far from colaba)... if you wish to move out of that area then you can come down to bandra and head to ray's cafe or wtf or molte bello or cafe goa or olive or gostana for burgers... ahhh i can go on with this list... if not bandra then juhu where you can go to gadda da vida sipping some good cocktails with a waterfront view or vie lounge.

There are many many more names that i can suggest.
If you have something particular in mind let me know... will suggest accordingly.

There are some good spas if you wish to unwind.

pick your top 3 from these: shopping? food? temples? tourist spots? clubbing? adventure? get away from the city?

Chetna wrote:

Where in Mumbai would you be staying?

Staying in Juhu beach

Do you wish to visit the regular touristy places? or explore the other parts of mumbai?

Regular tourist spots this time since we have just 3 days

pick your top 3 from these: shopping? food? temples? tourist spots? clubbing? adventure? get away from the city?

Tourist spots / shopping for local goodies / a temple or two

Thanks for the feedback :)

Tourist spot: you can head to Gate Way of India at Colaba... take a ferry which will take you to the caves and a guide there will let you know bout the history and stuff... ferry back to and as i mentioned in the previous mail you can shop at Colaba street...

Shopping: besides street shopping you can head to Palladium mall (Lower Parel)

Temples: Siddhivinayak temple (at prabahadevi), Babulnath temple (at grant road), you can go to Walkeshwar (its a hill top with many temples..... all these are not far away from Colaba shooping street.

You can ask your hotel guy to get you a car or taxi for the day.

Since you are staying at juhu: a stroll down the beach or cab it down to versova beach (commonly known as versova rocks)

For food areas refer previous mail.

Hope you have a nice trip :)

Banganga water body is nice

If you're in Juhu stay at the Marriott it is stunning and also try Aurus bar...lovely lounge bar on the water. I have a funny Expat.com where I have written about most of the above suggestions to eat, the elephanta island excursion etc. Queen of the suburbs at blogspot.com

Queenie