Retiring to the philippines to marry.

Hi l am a 71 years young Englishman who has decided after meeting online a young Filipino lady and getting to find out about each other over a long period decided to implement what was in my mind before to retire to the philippines, I have visited there twice before some years ago.
I would like to find as much information about both retiring and getting married, I am looking to meet my lady and her family in Kimagango, Midsayap this coming May.

Hi Will,
Retiring in the Philippines is a good idea especially for the weather and the sea. Just an advice, you can hire a domestic helper to do the best work in the house and take care of everything (especially at your age) than a wife, it is hard to find love, all what you may find is 2 choices: 
- Young to love you wallet (expect yourself to sponsor all her family and relatives with her)
- mother to let you love her kids that their father left them with her ( where her care will not be for you, but her kids always, so you will be just the ATM machine for them)

I am not talking about love, I am just talking about your age, which is a truth that we cannot deny, so in case you will be with someone (wife or maid) it would be the same. (Excuse me for being so direct, please accept my apologies)
Also if you marry, your wife will be the real owner of everything you get here, since your visa would be under her sponsorship, so after you invest all your money for retirement, you may be kicked out (this happened to many people already, after investing all their ownerships, their wives took everything and kicked them out of the country ( again, not all)

Best thing to do, hire someone who is paid to take care of you, Filipinos are hardworking and trustful if they get a salary, but some of them are greedy and possessive when they are wives.
Housekeeper has just access to what you give her access ( limited amount of money, limited freedom) while a wife has access to everything (your ATMs, your funds, your contracts, your documents)
please accept my post and no need to reply to it
This is  an advice, I may be right for some people, and wrong for others, I am not looking to argue,

Look what happened to Lang Hancock and his trusted house keeper.

Some people have the brain to know when their being used, I happen to know this lady very well, not intimately she always refused my offers, I do not class all women WHAT ever nationality like some gold digger.
I am very happy to be taking this girl as my asawa with the knowledge she will make me happy

we wish you all the best

Willcel, you right people do know when they been used, but most chose to do nothing about it, like a riding in a train, but you don't know where it will stop, but you know it will stop someway,

Willcel wrote:

Some people have the brain to know when their being used, I happen to know this lady very well, not intimately she always refused my offers, I do not class all women WHAT ever nationality like some gold digger.
I am very happy to be taking this girl as my asawa with the knowledge she will make me happy

Perhaps if you would state her age it would make more sense.

Hi Willcel.....best advice is to come live here for a year before getting too serious with this girl.  She could turn out to be a real gem, but it takes time (in person) to figure that out.  A red flag is that she's using sex as an excuse to get you married quickly.  Filipinas tend to be conveniently religious and now is one of those times, for her.   I hope it does work out for you, but you need to be super diligent with vetting Filipinas, because they don't play the game by the same rules that we do.  Good luck to ya!

Willcel wrote:

Hi l am a 71 years young Englishman who has decided after meeting online a young Filipino lady and getting to find out about each other over a long period decided to implement what was in my mind before to retire to the philippines, I have visited there twice before some years ago.
I would like to find as much information about both retiring and getting married, I am looking to meet my lady and her family in Kimagango, Midsayap this coming May.

Howdy Willcel,

Noticed your post and thought I'd add to whatever other replies there have been. I too came here to marry. That was 15 years ago and am still married and still here.
Meeting someone online in our own home countries is risky at best. Here it can be deadly!
Another concern is to be sure that your old age pension is payable here. I'm from the US have have mine direct deposited to a local Philippine bank.

No matter what you think; no matter what your heart is telling you. Make several trips here and spend as much time as possible each time to be as sure as possible that the girl is who you think she is and that you are able to adjust to life in a 3rd world country such as this. If you do decide to make the move-even after several trips, be sure to leave yourself a financial way out should it ever become necessary. Many guys our age have become fish food at the bottom of the ocean trying what you are contemplating so be very careful.

Very Best Of Luck

samangelevski wrote:

Willcel, you right people do know when they been used, but most chose to do nothing about it, like a riding in a train, but you don't know where it will stop, but you know it will stop someway,

Some good sound advice/ideas can be found with research both here and other sites which I'm sure you have done but what sam said has some merit, I will add though, be certain you know where that train is headed before you make the journey.
Be wise and prosper, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Navajo well Man this is the best advice i have ever heard from any one, the only thing wrong here is, hope the Man can afford several trips to Here, then will be perfect, but even then nothing is guaranteed in life, I think everything is different for everyone, I think we all start some way and maybe not always what we like it to be, but if Man can find honest Filipina then he is half way there, the rest he must work on it, Filipinas are easy to fall in love with the right Man, mined you there is two types of love, one which is true and honest and one which is money only, it is not hard to find true and honest love here, as Filippinas they love to be loved and respected for who they are, but for Man he himself will have to show lots of respect and lots and lots of  patience with Filipino people, mostly with her family, and yes he needs to be kind and happy, giveing  yes
but needs to be careful there,  I have notices kindness goes long way here, at the point where they will never forget you, my little take on Filipinas

bigpearl wrote:
samangelevski wrote:

Some good sound advice/ideas can be found with research both here and other sites which I'm sure you have done but what sam said has some merit, I will add though, be certain you know where that train is headed before you make the journey.
Be wise and prosper, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Good morning ol' man,, how ya doing? It's me, Asian Spirit from you know where. Ya know, my wife and I knew each other for over 7 years before we were married. I was surprised (not in a ba way) of how much I still didn't know. Hahaha. Risky business for those meeting and trying to form a relationship online.

PS, Visited with Ron about a meet up for us all next month if you can get down this way...

Good morning ol' man,, how ya doing? It's me, Asian Spirit from you know where. Ya know, my wife and I knew each other for over 7 years before we were married. I was surprised (not in a ba way) of how much I still didn't know. Hahaha. Risky business for those meeting and trying to form a relationship online.

PS, Visited with Ron about a meet up for us all next month if you can get down this way...

Old man? LOL. Will PM you shortly,,,,,,,,, glad you introduced yourself here, also glad you added to this post as I was in the middle of a tirade against another contributor with double standards with his very verbal posts, one day very cordial the next, inconsistent/negative, calls himself an Aussie but doubt that. You pulled me up and glad as no matter what is said to some tossers it would be like water off a ducks back.
I do wish the OP good fortune and I am sure he (Will) is not silly but as we say "boots on the ground" and as I say "get your hands dirty"/taste the dirt.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

Old man? LOL. Will PM you shortly,,,,,,,,, glad you introduced yourself here, also glad you added to this post as I was in the middle of a tirade against another contributor with double standards with his very verbal posts, one day very cordial the next, inconsistent/negative, calls himself an Aussie but doubt that. You pulled me up and glad as no matter what is said to some tossers it would be like water off a ducks back.
I do wish the OP good fortune and I am sure he (Will) is not silly but as we say "boots on the ground" and as I say "get your hands dirty"/taste the dirt.

Cheers, Steve.

I didn't see the posts you're talking about but that's okay. Be sure to send the PM from the other site ok?

Sorry all for the off-topic few posts here..

samangelevski wrote:

Navajo well Man this is the best advice i have ever heard from any one, the only thing wrong here is, hope the Man can afford several trips to Here, then will be perfect, but even then nothing is guaranteed in life, I think everything is different for everyone, I think we all start some way and maybe not always what we like it to be, but if Man can find honest Filipina then he is half way there, the rest he must work on it, Filipinas are easy to fall in love with the right Man, mined you there is two types of love, one which is true and honest and one which is money only, it is not hard to find true and honest love here, as Filippinas they love to be loved and respected for who they are, but for Man he himself will have to show lots of respect and lots and lots of  patience with Filipino people, mostly with her family, and yes he needs to be kind and happy, giveing  yes
but needs to be careful there,  I have notices kindness goes long way here, at the point where they will never forget you, my little take on Filipinas

Very true all the way around for sure. Takes a lot of time and adjusting to life here married or not. Many come with good intentions but after a year or two find it too much and go home. Guess it just depends on the person and attitude. Most important thing is for one to spend more time searching for and choosing a wife than they do buying a used car.

This is the saddest truth. I am a Filipina and I agree with everything this guy have said. Even if this is the case, everyone has different fate and experience. Just be cautious. (I can't speak on behalf of all Filipina)

Philippines is a good place to retire, the cost of living will be cheap for you.

I know myself it took me long time to adjust to this life. mostly was the weather, food so and so, as I can cook my own, and Filipino  food is not that bad, I remember when I use to live with in laws, they cook Filipino food, i eat all of it, the only thing I did ask is less solt and less oil haha, and did try some crazy food too, but never again.
Now that i'm kind of 85% use to this Country, I feel good for it, but not a easy going that was for sure, had lots of ups and downs, and with lots of agunmants at the times, even many times i packed my suitcase to go home, but then overnight after nice sleep i come down and  moved on, happend few times, but now I think here as much as I do back home, this too is my home, I have a Son beautiful Wife, who thinks a world of me, hmm I believe that any way, I don't know what future will brink or where it will take me, but as long as I have my Wife and my Son, I really do not care where I will live here or back home for me both are nice. so at the end of it all, it was never a place, it is where you make your life, can be any way in the world, people are people anyway in the world, we are all the same but with different believes.

Hi Sam,
When I was young my father made me eat whatever was on my plate whether I liked it or not.
These days I still eat almost anything in front of me so no problem with the local food.
My advice then is to forget what you used to eat and get used to eating whatever it is on your plate. It's unlikely to be poisonous just differently prepared.
You posted your email address and phone number but I accidentally erased it. Could you please repost it or send it to my expat. Mailbox.

samangelevski wrote:

I know myself it took me long time to adjust to this life. mostly was the weather, food so and so, as I can cook my own, and Filipino  food is not that bad, I remember when I use to live with in laws, they cook Filipino food, i eat all of it, the only thing I did ask is less solt and less oil haha, and did try some crazy food too, but never again.
Now that i'm kind of 85% use to this Country, I feel good for it, but not a easy going that was for sure, had lots of ups and downs, and with lots of agunmants at the times, even many times i packed my suitcase to go home, but then overnight after nice sleep i come down and  moved on, happend few times, but now I think here as much as I do back home, this too is my home, I have a Son beautiful Wife, who thinks a world of me, hmm I believe that any way, I don't know what future will brink or where it will take me, but as long as I have my Wife and my Son, I really do not care where I will live here or back home for me both are nice. so at the end of it all, it was never a place, it is where you make your life, can be any way in the world, people are people anyway in the world, we are all the same but with different believes.

Amen Bro. It's all in how we deal with things and react to things in life. Having a good wife and family can make up for a lot of what we "think" we need or want. In our 15 years of being married and living here I can't think of even one time I would have considered going back to the States. The Philippines get into your blood without a doubt.

Silver the same with my parents whatever mom cooks we must eat or go without it, all comes down to what they can afford for food, there was no choices and for sure kids were not allowed to chose food, I know what food i do miss from Au, and can never get it here, it is ok to miss things nothing wrong with that, and you right food is not that bad, it is shame but this is Asian country and they never copied Asian cuisine ????????????
Nova you right about family and what we need and want peronaly, kind of puts a different spin to it, I am not sure about Philippines getting in to my blood, but I know what you mean, maybe in time I will feel and think as you, i just take small steps every day, and try to enjoy every day as it comes, and not to think to far ahead, I am getting acostom to many things here, philippine time haha, driving and enjoy it now, but had to learn to slow down a lot, food was a problem at the start but we learn to adapt to this situations as well, I am ok with food, cook a lot of local cuisine this days, and Wife's family love it, and about who is right or wrong, both are correct haha

Sam, got the information and copied it this time.

Sex has never been mentioned,usual first thing coming into your head!!

Willcel wrote:

Sex has never been mentioned,usual first thing coming into your head!!

That is a normal part of marriage isn't it? Actually after a wedding and a bit of time for life to settle down to normal, with most couples sex is only about 10% of most marriages and certainly is not the center of importance or life. If it is, I would submit that the person got married for the wrong reason and not enjoying married life to its fullest.

How do you think all he other smart men got trapped? They all said I'm smart enough an I know she love me, lol, read other people's posts before you decide, it s just and advice, you will be the one to decide and to face it. At least make her gf , if she will refuse, remember that she might not be virgin, so other men are allowed with no marriage, but only you who should sign first?

Hi guys just like to say what happen to the thing, try before you buy, same applies to a Woman right, and what is this about virgine?? you are all not serious about this bull they will tell you, my advice is do not fall for this old old tricks Woman will use to get a Man, but Man are silly Woman will say I am virgin and they are kind of blind after that, ask her to be very honest with you and no more rubbish talk, she will come clean with you, only then you can have meaningful relationship with Woman, but lets not forget here they have and start sex at very young age, they will say whatever they like but the truth is they are very young when they have sex.

samangelevski wrote:

Hi guys just like to say what happen to the thing, try before you buy, same applies to a Woman right, and what is this about virgine?? you are all not serious about this bull they will tell you, my advice is do not fall for this old old tricks Woman will use to get a Man, but Man are silly Woman will say I am virgin and they are kind of blind after that, ask her to be very honest with you and no more rubbish talk, she will come clean with you, only then you can have meaningful relationship with Woman, but lets not forget here they have and start sex at very young age, they will say whatever they like but the truth is they are very young when they have sex.

Same as blokes mate. But in some eyes that doesn't count? I certainly didn't save my virginity for the "perfect partner" at 13. And as a liberal thinker I advocate equality.

And I'm not an Aussie terrorist.

Cheers Steve.

NO ONE DOSE STEVE, JUST SOME PEOPLE FALL FOR IT, AND THAT IS A SHAME, THAT GUYS CAN NOT SEE AND THEY BELIEVE WHATEVER, AND STEVE SORRY FOR COMMENT EARLIER.

My advice to all prospective men who would like to settle down here in paradise is to think with your big head and not the little one.
Please note the following does not apply to all filipinas but it is quite common.
Ask yourself why a beautiful young woman, who could basically have anyone she wanted, choose a foreigner older than her father.
Nine times out of ten it is her pathway from poverty and little else.
Her family will agree to the union because with luck they will follow up the same path in her footsteps.
Who could blame them.
Just think about it before you take what is to most expatriates a massive leap of faith into the arms of someone who, if you are lucky actually love you for who you are and not your pockets filled with gold.
Just to make you jealous I got the tenth one. Must be lucky in love.
Remember to step back and take a very good look before committing yourself
Good luck and God bless.

Ok I thought i had the 10th one, hmmm you made me think now, but in any case i am happy for now, and hope it will be for long time, and if not then it is leap of faith, but at the end it is my actions that makes mt faith, and on the other side of it, i will never blame her or say any thing against her, all I know we are family, she is Mother on my Son, this must say a lot, and if things go sideway, steal mother of my Son, that can not be changed. so happy all around.

It's funny how people think that there has to be a reason that a man and woman are together and not many reasons. If it's a foreigner marrying an American, they'll say she's marrying him for the green card and not for love. Or, if she's much younger, she's marrying him for the money. But what if she is? Does that mean she doesn't love him? Can't both be true? And, if the lady wants a better life and marrying the right guy helps that to happen? Is she a bad person? I don't think so. But I don't think these should be the ONLY reasons. Let's face it guys, if we meet a woman who is gorgeous and very wealthy, would we not find that to be more appealing than one who isn't these things? Does it make us a bad guy? Again, I don't think so, UNLESS these are the only reasons we are with her.  Most of us have been luckier in life than many of these ladies. Who can blame them for finding us to be more appealing to improve their life - and especially the lives of their kids. We just need to be smart to ensure that this is not the only reason they are with us. There needs to be true caring for each other as well.

Hi Bob, you right I will never disagree with you on this, and I to think there is more to life then money, or more to love than money whichever suits, but then again you can't blame a guy to have some reservations when it comes to younger Woman, and her motives on love, but as you get to know them more you will find out they want both, security and love as one package, I do not think they are out to get us one way or the other, in some cases this happens, but then I will question the Man as well, takes two to tango, if she is abused by Man or mistriten in any way, then yes she will chose money and the hell with him, this works both ways, there is nothing wrong with a Woman or a Girl wanting nice and secure life, after all is in it why we are in this world ??? some are lucky the first time with a Man, some take long time or never to be lucky, I think to them as I see it, to have secure and nice love life it will be like winning  lotto.. so so hard for them..

LOVE REALLY MAKES YOU BLIND...

Mr Wadja  didn't want to get any reply, but still I would like to send you some words so that other readers can read it. For readers I can only say that everything what is written here is absolutely true and experienced by many foreigners. It is often a rule with only few exceptions. But in my opinion it is not a good idea to retire in Philippines at all. The climate is too hot, there are more crimes, no one follows any rule, there is lot of pollution and no sense of traffic rules. If you crash, it is always your fault, medical services are awful and costly specially if you are living in smaller cities. You always have to pay more money if you hire any person to do any work. If you are economically sound and want to live nicely in Philippines even your best filipino friend will cheat you. So before retiring and moving permanently to Philippines I shall strongly advice to stay in Philippines for few months, study the system with open eyes and judge everything for yourself. But don't tell it to filipinas as most of them dont want you to judge them.  You will hear it again and again. They want you to be foolish so that you keep on giving them money including their big families. But Philippine will be best place for you if you want to blow your money on endless big parties together with a whole bunch of filipinos with lots of drinking. Again there may be some exceptions, and some retired foreigners may be happy but in most of  such cases many foreigners might be having considerably bad economy in their own home country or having very little money in Philippines so that filipinos  (specially your wife and relatives can't rob you for anything. But remember such relationship with a poor foreigner may never last for a long time as then you will be totally useless for many filipinas even if you are a ''white man''. But as a ''white man'' you will again have many chances to get many young filipinas and you can keep on enjoying your life with them and they will enjoy on your money, at least for some time. Good luck to all foreigners who are already here in Philippines or who want to move to Philippines despite of many real warnings from many people. May be it is correct to say that LOVE REALLY MAKES YOU BLIND.

MrNorway wrote:

Mr Wadja  didn't want to get any reply, but still I would like to send you some words so that other readers can read it. For readers I can only say that everything what is written here is absolutely true and experienced by many foreigners. It is often a rule with only few exceptions. But in my opinion it is not a good idea to retire in Philippines at all. The climate is too hot, there are more crimes, no one follows any rule, there is lot of pollution and no sense of traffic rules. If you crash, it is always your fault, medical services are awful and costly specially if you are living in smaller cities. You always have to pay more money if you hire any person to do any work. If you are economically sound and want to live nicely in Philippines even your best filipino friend will cheat you. So before retiring and moving permanently to Philippines I shall strongly advice to stay in Philippines for few months, study the system with open eyes and judge everything for yourself. But don't tell it to filipinas as most of them dont want you to judge them.  You will hear it again and again. They want you to be foolish so that you keep on giving them money including their big families. But Philippine will be best place for you if you want to blow your money on endless big parties together with a whole bunch of filipinos with lots of drinking. Again there may be some exceptions, and some retired foreigners may be happy but in most of  such cases many foreigners might be having considerably bad economy in their own home country or having very little money in Philippines so that filipinos  (specially your wife and relatives can't rob you for anything. But remember such relationship with a poor foreigner may never last for a long time as then you will be totally useless for many filipinas even if you are a ''white man''. But as a ''white man'' you will again have many chances to get many young filipinas and you can keep on enjoying your life with them and they will enjoy on your money, at least for some time. Good luck to all foreigners who are already here in Philippines or who want to move to Philippines despite of many real warnings from many people. May be it is correct to say that LOVE REALLY MAKES YOU BLIND.

Mr. Norway,

It sounds as though you have had an incredibly bad experience in the Philippines or it was just the way you perceived it for some reason. To be honest, there are some people that move here and later decide that life in a 3rd world country is not for them, that does happen.

There are dangers and pitfalls no matter where we live in this world but I think you are grossly overstating the conditions. I've lived here (retired and married) for just over 15 years now and have had no bad experiences like what you have highlighted in your post.

This is or can be a dangerous country without doubt and it pays for newcomers to use caution and learning when making the move. That said I would give the same advice someone moving to my home country of the United States.

For people contemplating here I would suggest making several trips first. Stay as long as possible each time to make sure as possible this is where you want to live. Just use common sense and be wise  with decisions made. Also, leave yourself a financial way out if things don't work out the way you want them to.

True words MrNorway and yes love can be blind or it can be beautiful, eyes wide open, boots on the ground, taste the dirt etc.
One needs to spend a lot of time here to understand the culture and mindset of these fine people. Yes there are scammers, thieves, corruption and more, really no different to most countries from my experiences including my home country Australia.

As for being the cash cow for the extended family? My partner and I discussed this when we first met over 6 years ago and set boundaries, we only help mum and dad once a year with a PHP 40k gift, they spend that as they wish and give to family as needed.

Being overcharged does not happen (we hope). My better half always shops for prices without me being present, does the haggling etc.
Happy with our choices so far.
But who knows, in 5 or 10 years things can change.

Cheers, Steve.

I would advise. Moving to the Philippines & meet 3 or 4 women. Date some first.  Hire a maid. First to look after you.  As others say. Many love you for money or child support.

""Mr. Norway,

It sounds as though you have had an incredibly bad experience in the Philippines or it was just the way you perceived it for some reason. To be honest, there are some people that move here and later decide that life in a 3rd world country is not for them, that does happen.

There are dangers and pitfalls no matter where we live in this world but I think you are grossly overstating the conditions. I've lived here (retired and married) for just over 15 years now and have had no bad experiences like what you have highlighted in your post.

This is or can be a dangerous country without doubt and it pays for newcomers to use caution and learning when making the move. That said I would give the same advice someone moving to my home country of the United States.

For people contemplating here I would suggest making several trips first. Stay as long as possible each time to make sure as possible this is where you want to live. Just use common sense and be wise  with decisions made.""

Mr. Navajo, very well put. I will also ad that MrNorway's observations are generally correct though appear bias on the negative. While I see his points and I'm well aware of the shortcomings within this country I am also well aware of the problems in many other countries that I have spent time in including my home turf. Every country has its good and bad points and we live in those countries and accept/deal with the norms.

Back to the OP's original post, I am sure Willcel is a learned man, reads and absorbs information as we all do before making a choice, I can only wish good luck and fortune to anyone that chooses not only to take a partner but also to move country as many here have. Eyes wide open.

Cheers, Steve.

What amazes me about some folks here is that they want to blame the people and the culture when, in fact, it is no one's fault but their own simply because they have lost the ability to say "no"!

I have lived in many places in the USA where there were street beggars. Invariably, I know some friends who simply can't walk by them without throwing money to them - knowing full well that the money will most likely not be used for their next meal but for some other purpose like drugs or booze.

If you encounter people in need, give of yourself not your money. Help them build something or teach them a skill. If they refuse and only want money, then you've learned something about them. You know the old axiom... give a man a fish, he eats for a day; teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Learn about the people who you help before saying yes. If you do give some money, learn from how they use it. Do they use it to enroll in a class or to buy some weed to smoke?

But, if you encounter someone who sees you as an ATM, don't blame them or their culture, blame yourself for being so foolish to give them money.  Just like the street beggar, a lot of these people live desperate lives - some from misfortune, some from laziness. Learn the difference and help those worthy of the help. Say no to the rest!

bigpearl wrote:

""Mr. Norway,

For people contemplating here I would suggest making several trips first. Stay as long as possible each time to make sure as possible this is where you want to live. Just use common sense and be wise  with decisions made.""

Mr. Navajo, very well put. I will also ad that MrNorway's observations are generally correct though appear bias on the negative. While I see his points and I'm well aware of the shortcomings within this country I am also well aware of the problems in many other countries that I have spent time in including my home turf. Every country has its good and bad points and we live in those countries and accept/deal with the norms.

Back to the OP's original post, I am sure Willcel is a learned man, reads and absorbs information as we all do before making a choice, I can only wish good luck and fortune to anyone that chooses not only to take a partner but also to move country as many here have. Eyes wide open.

Cheers, Steve.

Morning Steve,

I don't know how you get outa the sack so early. I hardly had my eyes open when I made that last post.
I think it's hard to explain what it's like living here to people from other countries. It is so vastly different that the shock and surprise they feel when here makes them run for cover. Sure takes a lot of getting use to.

PS

Gonna meet Ron next week at the VFW in Angeles for fun. Wish you were going to be here at the same time..

Morning Navajo, yes out of bed at sparrow fart as they say, 4 or 5 am always. Will send you a PM.

What you say is true, call it culture shock or what ever you like, that's a simple way of putting it, many asian countries are the same. I personally believe that one needs to have a willingness to accept/adapt and definitely not compare a first world country against a developing or third world country or you will be whinging until you go back to where the grass is apparently greener.
There are plenty of things that P me off in Australia but that is how it is and no different to where ever you put your roots down. You can be taken for a ride by a partner no matter the country no different to being ripped of by a taxi driver or a government that taxes the s*** out of it's constituents or my better half hiring a surf board for 200 pesos but more me it's 400, work that one out, opportunity knocks and Filipinos are perhaps a lot more astute?

BTW I told him where to put his board, sideways.

Cheers, Steve.