Dual citizenship

Hi expert expatriates,
I'm Australian and my wife of almost 10yrs is Filipina.
We have two children a son  almost 9 and a daughter 6.
Our son has an Australian passport by decent.
Question is does his having an Australian passport affect his Philippine citizenship?

I was in the same situation as you maybe, kids can have dual citizenship and it is good idea to have for them, as we never know what the future is, we are having it done from here, but we have learned it would have been easier if we had him registered with Philippines embassy in Australia, as it is now we had to run few times to manila and waiting for long periods of time.
With Australian passport he is just a tourist here, he will as you get 1 year visa on entry, any way do a research from there.

Hi Sam,
Both our kids were born in Manila and have been in the Philippines since day one and are living near Cebu. I'm here as permanent resident since I retired 4yrs ago.
We got our son the Australian passport to give him an option when he gets older.
I wanted to vote at a local election but was only allowed to if I renounced my Australian citizenship.
I asked Philippines immigration officials and was told dual citizenship for me is totally impossible.

hi silver, now I understand more, you too can get dual citizenship, it is not impossible, as you know one person will tell you it is and other will say it is not, but you have to do what is right for you, and go ahead with it, no need for you to renounce your own, if you do then you will lose your pension, myself we have decided to move back to Melbourne as our kid is starting school in 2 years time and my Wife got her permanent Visa, maybe we will see you there.

Hi Sam,
Not much chance of me returning to Australia as I now live in paradise.
I did 50+ years of taxable labour and now is time for feet up and relax a bit.
At almost 70yrs old who would give me employment anyway  even though I'm a highly skilled electrician. I'm now just too slow, have trouble with stairs and I'm so scared of heights now I don't even like being this tall.
I just want to make sure my wife and children are provided with an income after the pension stops if you get my drift.
If you get to Cebu contact me and we might have a beer or two.

Hi Silver, nice one Man, I get what you mean, I am long way from getting my pension more so now as they got it lifted to 70, but anyway thanks for invite, I do not think I have much time before I go, need to make sure my house here is in order and find someone to live in and look after it for me, maybe next time, any way my email s***, my mobile if you have Viber is ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

dual citizenship is possible, but there are some requirements. my kids have 2 passports.

i\l try to find them.

Hi Jobanana,
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Both our kids were born in Manila.
Their mother is filipine national.
Our son has Australian passport and our little girl not yet.
Neither has Philippines passport as we consider them Philippine nationals/citizens and have no plans to travel at this time.
My original post was Will his having an Australian passport affect his Philippine citizenship as immigration seems to not like dual citizenship.

My original post was Will his having an Australian passport affect his Philippine citizenship as immigration seems to not like dual citizenship.

NO.

but you do have birth-certificates form the philippines and australia ?

in any case your kids should have a philippino passport as well as an australaien one.

let me have some time to find the links.

He has Australian passport because he is Australian by decent ie. I'm Australian

I am getting my son a Philippine  passport, he is Australian born, but it is great idea to have dual citizenship for him, process has started all ready, first he must be registered in Philippine embassy, in conjunction with Australian embassy, very simple process only thing is take 2 to 4 months, after that he will be with Philippine birth certificate, then he can get passport. nothing hard about this and nothing scary about it too..

He is also Filipino by his mother, this has just came about a few years ago, before both parents had to be Filipino but now only one, before even if your parents were both Filipino but you were born out of the country you were not a Filipino citizen, they changed that also

doj officer quietly said forget about it...No one checks that...at 21 we went usa and he used both us and philippine passports...philippines threw the usa one back, us immigration hand up stopped him showing pinoy passport hehee.He can stay dual all life as he got it before 18.