CELTA vs. TESOL

Hi Guys,

Have finished and waiting for my Dip TESOL certificate then pack my bag and head to Vietnam.

Since observing the forum discussing CELTA as "prefered qualification" and mentioned pretty much in every advertisement. So which one am I better off with?

In Australia, all I've heard was TESOL, and not many schools even mentioned CELTA to me.

Confused !!!

i think it s not really important for VIetnamese employers whether u have tesol, celta or telf. Because all of these certificate are accepted by VIetnamese authorities  :)

There is a slight advantage to CELTA in that it has 6 hours of classroom practicum.  This is useful in its own right but also because if you find that you really don't like it you could self select out.  You would be out for your fees but that may be better than starting an occupation that you find you do not like.

As far as hiring, if you meet the profile which is 21-40 years old, Caucasian and from an English speaking country there is probably no difference in hiring in Vietnam.  If you fall outside of the profile, a CELTA might make a difference.  Outside the profile would be non-Caucasian, over 40, or from a non-English speaking country.  In the last case, you must score at least IELTS 7 to even take the course so that is prima facie evidence of your fluency.  We know that there is a hiring prejudice against Viet Kieu even if they were born overseas, so a CELTA would probably be advantageous in their cases.

Hi Thigv,

I've done 20hrs (10 Observation and 10 Prac ) in my Dip of TESOL.

I am over 40 haha and also holding a Vietnamese passport for easier jobs seeking and other prospects.

Thanks

Cheers

Thank You Hoa Anh.. :))

Hey,
Hopefully you don't mind if I pick your brain for a moment!
I have never even heard those “peramators” you mentioned about how if you're not Caucasian it might be more advantageous for you to hold one vs the other...it's peaked my interest, and maybe you can help me better understand and make some more educated decisions in the coming months.
I'm 32. Mixed (half black half white) female. I have a HS diploma and have worked in corporate America for the last 10 years as an New Hire Trainer for a bank.
I want something new, and I have a friend who's in HCMC teaching English. She's convinced me that this is an experience worth pursuing considering my love of teaching and learning!
So I find myself here, looking for any advice I can get about the best way to go about this.
Also,  just something to mention, I'm very serious about this, I've set a goal to have everything together so come August I'll be purchasing my plane ticket.
You seem very knowledgeable. I hope you will shine some light on things I hadn't even thought of as being relevant. Like do they hire biracial teachers in Vietnam? Or where should I get my TESOL certificate or diploma or now Celta which I hadn't even really considered because I couldn't see why someone would choose that over the others?

If your friend is teaching here I would gain as much information from her/him before coming here. You could also try the teachers forums on Facebook.

Although you may be able to find a job, particularly with the assistance of your friend, you will never be able to obtain a work permit as you do not have a bachelor's degree.  Without a work permit you will be technically working illegally and in theory subject to deportation and at the very best will find yourself going on visa border runs every 90 days.