Free Tips for Learning English

I'm going to post some recommendations for the ESL students on this site.  Anyone can feel free to post additional tips, or ask specific questions.

Pronunciation:  One way to practice your pronunciation is to use the Google search engine.  Here's how:

1.)  Choose a word, or even a sentence, that you want to practice.

2.)  Go to google.com/ncr , which is one of Google's English sites.  *GOOGLE.VN DOES NOT HAVE THE FUNCTION YOU NEED!*

3.)  Inside the text box, to the right,  you will see a microphone.  Click on it.

4.)  A box will appear that has "Speak now" written in it.

5.)  Say the word, or sentence, into your computers microphone.

6.)  If the target language appears in the box you have said it good enough to be understood.

This method isn't perfect.  I have an exercise/tongue twister that I made up to practice the "th" sound.  It's:

"My mother and father went to the theatre to pick up my brother and grandmother."  Google understood me even when I used a "d" sound, instead of the "th" sound.

More later!

I would recommend a lot of practice, if you want to improve your English.  This site can help students and teachers alike:

Click here, if you want to improve your English.

wow that's wonderful, thank you so much for your contribution!!!

rojamin wrote:

wow that's wonderful, thank you so much for your contribution!!!

No problem.  It's only half finished, so look back in every so often.

WideAwake,

That is very sweet of you.  I am on the verge of tutoring some 2nd-year English majors, at a local university, with their pronunciations.  Judging from my intros, they are in really really deep water here:  starting out with over 70 students to a class, then reduce that in half.  What the hell?  What are these people doing?  How do people learn in such a crowd?

According to the kids that I spoke to, these were American instructors, too.  What the hell?  Come half way around the world, and this is all that they are good for?

To me, it is a great disappointment.  I am going to have to make up for these clowns now.  I told the kids that I will do it for coffee...  The whole 7.000 VNDs, provided that they must put their best feet forward.

Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

WideAwake,

That is very sweet of you.  I am on the verge of tutoring some 2nd-year English majors, at a local university, with their pronunciations.  Judging from my intros, they are in really really deep water here:  starting out with over 70 students to a class, then reduce that in half.  What the hell?  What are these people doing?  How do people learn in such a crowd?

According to the kids that I spoke to, these were American instructors, too.  What the hell?  Come half way around the world, and this is all that they are good for?

To me, it is a great disappointment.  I am going to have to make up for these clowns now.  I told the kids that I will do it for coffee...  The whole 7.000 VNDs, provided that they must put their best feet forward.

Howie

Wow...70?!  I may have a similar situation on the horizon.  I haven't met the classes yet, but I imagine there's at least 40 per.

There's a complete pronunciation set now.  I added the rest last night.  I'm working on others, so look back in tonight or tomorrow.

Want to learn English? Get a good text to speech program like TextAloud or Natural Reader. It's like having an English tutor 24/7.

NashCat wrote:

Want to learn English? Get a good text to speech program like TextAloud or Natural Reader. It's like having an English tutor 24/7.

Great suggestion.  Some are good, some are not.  This is an online version that I've recommended in the past:

Text to Speech

You can speed up, slow down and change the accents on that one.

I read an article about the site PalTalk.  You can use this site to chat with volunteers from around the world:

http://www.paltalk.com/

The pen is mightier than the sword.  Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Writing: 

I found this site yesterday and I think it's pretty good, if you have a command of English already:

Daily Writing Tips

I found this page interesting, because English has such a solid base in Latin: 

Latin Words and Expressions

Why is knowing a little about Latin important?  Because if you know what part of a word means, you may be able to guess the entire meaning! 

Studying prefixes and suffixes can also help you deduce the meaning of words, because words are like a puzzle - most times they are pieced together.  Here's a list:

Common Word Roots

Some may be only be writing emails, for whatever reason.  You may want to look at this, if you're one of those people:

Email English

Grammar:  Here's a link to a website that allows you to learn and practice grammar: 

Grammar Site

...and a handy handout!

Grammar Handout

The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter - it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. ~ Mark Twain

One last thing...

Believe in your abilities!  Too many students shy away from conversation because they're afraid they'll make a mistake.  You have to accept the fact that you're going to make mistakes.  The trick is to learn from them.  Do that and you will improve, over time.

Bye-bye!

ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
greatttttttttt......
wonderful.......

rojamin wrote:

ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
greatttttttttt......
wonderful.......

What is on your head in your profile pic?

vespa1717 wrote:

It's a very useful post. Thank you!

You're welcome!

P.S. WideAwake is dead.  I'm taking over this thread!

Here's a handy item for any of the aspiring Vietnamese rappers out there:

No More Songs About Big Butts!  There Are Enough Already.

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

it's a hat with fur, sir!

rojamin wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

it's a hat with fur, sir!

That rhymes! 

Speaking of rhymes, here's another site that's useful for aspiring rappers, singers, or songwriters:

Rhyme Zone

"Sir" rhymes with "fur", as does "blur", if you "prefer"...

i'm so pleased, please have your seat, and when we meet, our humor should fit indeed, a kiss from a beautiful girl is all i need to get over a girl on me she cheats, she should feel the heat of my heartbeats, the way i lead down her neck to her t....

do you know how lovely you are, Wideawake? :D:D

WideAwake wrote:

I would recommend a lot of practice, if you want to improve your English.  This site can help students and teachers alike:

Click here, if you want to improve your English.

many thanks for sharing them. love u so much

TM you must have been speaking to imposter's. I have first hand reports that they were both with the tollboothgods in Vung Tau partying all week-end.

Hope someday I can speak English well ! ^^. I promise with myself that I will try to hard to learn it but sometimes I feel lazy when reading english book, I wonder how I can fight with my laziness. Honestly, I like to talk English a lot or during day if it can. Hihi

thanks for share!

i have the opposite problem, my speaking is pretty good, but my writting is bad. dont know how to improve my writting, pls help

Those of you that asked for help with your English skills should attend the English club tomorrow, if you're in Ho Chi Minh City.  The absolutely adorable WideAwake will be there!

expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=179239