New members of the Laos forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Laos forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Laos if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi-

New to the forum but looking to re-locate to Laos, within the next 1-2 years....Would like to get the inside scoop on an easy transition into the life style change.

Veo

Hi Veo and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you read through the many informative posts on the Laos forum. You would be advised to take a language course before heading over. Locals do appreciate falangs (expats) who try to speak their language even if you do mangle it. Makes life easier when market shopping.

Have you researched visas yet. No such thing as a long term stay visa. You can get single entry 30 day tourist visa on arrival. This can be renewed at Immigration office in Vientiane twice then you have to leave the country but can return again. A short stay over border in Nong Khai.

I am trying to move to Vientiane and trying to get a decent job there. Can anyone suggest as to how I can get it done?
I really need help please.

Welcome to the forum  :)

You would need to do an online search for work. There are websites that you can check out.
Getting a job would depend on what type of work you are looking for.  Lao language skills would be needed.

Hi peeps! Just landed in Vientiane yesterday.  Lived here for about two years 16years ago, and today even with the bright light of the sun, couldnt recognize anything!!! :huh: Ill be here for a while, so any tips on where to meet ppl and where to learn Lao (visited 21st Century, ARDA today, and they only have 1:1 classes ATM) will be much appreciated :proud

Welcome to the forum  :)

You could try www.if-laos.org for lessons. There is also a Face Book page too.
A good old Google search would possibly come up with more info. Most places seem think that the1:1 ratio is the best. I personally recommend one to one.

As far as meeting people is concerned take a wander through the city and check out the expat hangouts.

Thanks!! will check this out as well  :top:

I am Lao who works in Vientiane  Laos
Any information about Laos, please feel free ask me
your welcome !

Thank you, much appreciated!! :D have to be back with a shortened list lol

Hello everyone,

Hope you're keeping well. I'm Michelle and is from Singapore and nooo...I'm not one of them Crazy Rich Asians. I'm quite happy getting by, thank you very much 😉

I've lived 6 years in beautiful Perth, Western Australia, which they say is the most isolated city in the world. Spent the best part of my life there and earned myself double majors in Mass Communications and Cultural Studies.

Back in Singapore, I've worked in publishing selling ad spaces for design and architecture magazine. And couple of years after childbirth, I went on to study post-professional diploma in Early Childhood Education, out of interest in the beginning. My takeaway - it is indeed a humbling experience to learn so much depth from an underrated subject matter. I presumed I was born with the know-how. Hah!

Business development in the Oil and Gas sector was the last job I was in before I made a bold move I've never done before - I moved to Luang Prabang.

Job wise, I'm still lost as to what I can do. I applied to be a housekeeper at a hotel but was told I'm overqualified (go figure).

So here I am, I'm wondering if Vientiane might have more job offerings.

Phew...I apologise for my lengthy self-introduction and thank you for your patience in reading it.

Long story short:
I really hope to hear your thoughts on
1. jobs in demand
2. Range of rentals for a 2 bedder in safe areas (what are the names)
3. International schools, fees and curricula (Singapore follows Cambridge but we've heard how International Baccalaureate is inspirational)

Much appreciated everyone 😊 and anyone happen to be in Luang Prabang, I'd love to meet you for coffee!

There are members of the forum in Luang Prabang.

As far as jobs go I suggest a Google search. There are jobs out there but pay rates are low. Next to none in LP.
Have no knowledge of rentals in LP
There is a list of schools here on the forum and there is an International school (Kiettisak) in LP. Maybe contact them about a job.  There are a lot of schools in Vientiane.

Check out the forum for members in LP and send them a contact request. Read other posts on the forum for info too.  Let us know how things go.

Hello.

I'm Lorenz from philippines and would like to ask about the visa needed to work legally in Laos . What is the employer needs from me and also the law about hiring an expat from philippines what they need to do?

There's a job offer to me in Laos Vientiane and I would to ask you what I need to know about the law for expat ..

Welcome to the forum

Your employer needs to organize visas and permits for you. As Philippines is a member country of ASEAN it should be easy for you to work there.

Thank you so much, because the hotel that I will be working in Vientiane is offering me a managerial job so I am looking forward about the visa processing in Laos for Filipino, I'm working here in Thailand and I think the visa process is not the same ..

Thank you for answering my question. Thank you so much .

You are welcome.  :)

The visa application process is the same irrespective of which country you are applying from.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=830120

Thanks!

Closed