New members of the Laos forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Laos forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Laos if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined this forum today as have been reading for a while and found it very informative , I hope members can help with my future move to Laos.  Here is a little about myself . I am 54, Australian and my partner is a Lao citizen who is also an Australian permanent resident and has been in Australia for 21 years , we have a 2 year old and are planning to move to Laos in a few years and retire. I'm site manager in commercial construction and would be interested if anyone would know of any prospects of work in this field in and around the region , ie Laos, Vietnam , Thailand ,etc to get us over earlier. Appreciate any direction.

Regards,

Welcome to the forum.
Covid-19 will be the first hurdle trying to get into Laos and working anywhere in South East Asia.

Does your partner still have Lao citizenship and passport?  Laos does not allow dual citizenship with Australia.
An online search for work may help. Also look for companies and send them your CV.

If your wife could get back into Laos and set herself up there you can then apply for a long term residency visa based on your marriage.

I wrote a post on this some time ago so I suggest you search the site and read this post. Take the time to read other posts here too.

Feel free to ask other questions too.

Sabaidee, I am Tina from Laos. Lao Language Teacher and Translator & Consultant. If you have any questions on translations English-Lao, Russian-Lao, Thai-Lao, I can help. For some phrases or advice, I advice for free.

@Lao Language

You can post your services in the classified section, at the top of this page,  under language classes.

Thanks Stumpy appreciate the advice.

Thanks again Stumpy,

I didn't really reply properly last time , yes my wife is Lao citizen and has Lao passport. I do have another question though, what are peoples thoughts on in eight years time bringing my then to be ten year old son to Laos with us permanently, ie what are your thoughts on quality of life for a young Half Farang/Lao to grow up , develop and make a future for himself? Please excuse the bit way off, way out questions ,but looking at all options/ scenarios.

Thanks

Your son will be okay as he has had contact with the Lao side through your wife. Our daughter is doing well in Laos but she was born in Thailand and lives in Vientiane. Exposure to Lao life and western type life through myself. Perhaps speak both Lao and English to your son as this helped with our daughter, who at 15 speaks both.

Plenty of great schools in Vientiane. Have you checked out my post with information on getting a residency visa for yourself.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=969335

Thanks!

Closed