Going out in Aarhus

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Aarhus?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

There are lots of really nice cafe's in Aarhus. The area around "Aaen" (the open stream that runs through parts of Aarhus) has lots of them.
The Latin Quarter has the oldest cafe's in Aarhus, and there is a special atmosphere here. Less tourists, more locals.
And in the other end of town you have Jaegersgaardsgade, which is turning in to a really nice small street with specialty shops, cafe's, restaurants etc.

Most of the cafe's are open till 2 am. And after that you have a couple of places for dancing. You could try Kupe, Train, Guldbar.

Live music can be found many places, depending on what kind of music you enjoy. Check out Vauxhall, Musikhuset, Gyngen, Train. Some of the cafe's will also have live performers on Fridays and Saturdays.

I am from Aarhus, but have been living abroad for a little over a year. Aarhus is a great town with lots of charm.
Feel free to drop me a line if you have any specific questions.

Trine

Hi Trine,

My name is Jo and I am going to moving to denmark this year planning on being there for the beginning of the school year I have a son 16 and a daughter 11 and a husband that travels alot. I am originally from New Zealand but have living in asia this past two years, I dont speak and danish Of which i am told is going to be a big issue for me???  Would you say Aarhus is a better place to base ourselves rather than copenhagen we have the choice?? where is a good place for a family to live? but not to quiet for me either ?  My husbands factory is in jutland but he travels to copenhagen for many meetings, Im just trying to get some feedback from people on where they think is the better place to be Hope you dont mind me me asking..

JoJo

Hi Jojo...
Once knew a Jojo in New Zealand :-)
Well, it is a little hard to say which is the better place to stay.. I guess you will find that there are more foreigners in Copenhagen, and maybe that could make life easier sometimes, especially since you do not speak Danish (yet..:-))
From living abroad, I know that it can sometimes be nice to mingle with other foreigners, who sees things from the same perspective as you.
Most Danes are pretty good about speaking english, so I think you will do fine, just get started on some good Danish classes asap, it will help.
I have lived in Aarhus most of my adult life, and it is a wonderful city! In Copenhagen I have not lived, but would like to some time. It is also a great city..! Copenhagen definitely has more options for you, more culture, more citylife and more people from around the world. It is a more international city.
So if it really does not matter where you move, I would probably pick Copenhagen (Oops, again it kind of depends where in Copenhagen you will be living.. If you are out in the suburbs, you do not necessarily feel the life of the city. Then Aarhus can be better, because it is easier to live central)
My heart loves Aarhus...
Blah Blah... I guess my answer is not very precise.. Sorry about that!
I will actually be moving back to DK myself in April, and had planned to move to Copenhagen. But now it looks like most of my work will be in and around Aarhus, so I will probably start out there.
You are more than welcome to send me a mail on my private account. It is [email protected]. Would be happy to help you out any way I can !
Enjoy the planning!
Trine

Hej Trine!

Jeg hedder Allan og kommer fra USA. Jeg har lært dansk her i Danmark siden midt i januar. Min folkehøjskole ligger tæt på Århus nord for byen. Jeg har været i Århus mange gange, og jeg kan godt lide den! Jeg er meget imponeret over Strøget i Århus, og også over ARoS!

Mit kursus slutter midt i juni, og det kunne være godt at blive her i Århus området, hvis jeg kan finde et arbejde, eller måske hvis jeg kan finde en anden skole. Der er en test fra regeringen, som hedder "Prøve i Dansk 2", som jeg skal gøre i maj og juni, og jeg tror, at jeg skal bestå den.

Mange tak for dit råd om cafeer og natlivet i Århus!...