A Little Help... :)

Hi

Im sayea im a 31 year old women from england I have a 9 year old son.. and I have some questions...

Its kinda hard to find answers online to the questions and my Norwegian boyfriend has even less of a clue then i do..

any help with the following questions would be sooooo appreciated"!?

1. Im a EU citizen so im basically now allowed to just move there no visas or anything??
(because we looked at the UDI site but its too confusing for words with parts contradicting the other parts of the site -.- we were going to either apply for a fiancée visa or family immigration..but we were worried the fiancée visa didn't cover my son. and the family immigration could potentially take up to 2 years??)

2. We have been a couple for a year now although its long distance, does that make any difference with allowing us to live together there and then apply for visas?

3. I checked my qualifications and they dont mean anything in Norway so i would have to find a job, i speak basic Norwegian but i see from various posts that its hard to find any sort of work in Norway?

4. schools there is a international one but its far away from fredrikstad where we plan to live, is it just a case of settling in and then going to a local school to get my son registered?

thanks for any help...

Sayea

Hi and welcome on the forum Sayea :)

I hope other members will be able to give you some useful advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi,

that is a lot of questions!

1) Yes you can reside in Norway for 2 times three months in a row without problem, then after you must prove that you work, actively look for a job or is in a relationship with a resident. There is never any problem for EU resident anyway. We have the case of a British national that committed more than 500 crimes and felonies in Norway that we cannot send back to the UK. if your bf i the father of your son, things will be even easier. You don't need a visa as you wrote in your message, you may need a permission to stay but I think this has been abolished now except if you have a romonian or bulgarian passport.

2) Again, there is no visa for you, so not a problem

3) I disagree with other posters to some extend. It is easy to find some kind of job in Norway, like waitress or working in supermarket, especially if you already speak some norwegian

4) International school is very very expensive while Norwegian schools are free. Some schools offer the International Baccalaureat course from the middle school and this is free. As soon as you get your national number for you and your son, you can register him to a school.

Hope this helps!
ANDM

Hi
the link below is an official website of Norway in UK .
norway.org.uk/ARKIV/education/englishschools/

You can also have a look at different international schools on the website. Otherwise i think you can send an e-mail to ambassy ( look in the website) and ask them directly.

wish you luck

Hi, I moved here 9 years ago with my Norwegian
husband. I am originally Scottish.
I will double check if the system is the same.
We found out that I had to apply
for family reunification.
For 3 years I paid for residency permit
'oppholdstilatelse'  After 3 years
I was then given permenant residency.
The 3 years was a formality and I
wasn"t in any danger of being
sent out if the country.

Question no 3 - there's a daycare by the name of Do re mi in Fredrikstad (Trosvik area)which tends to employ a lot of English speakers. I know a few people who have worked there for a while before they have moved onto other things. This is a great way to learn Norwegian as well. As a British citizen you could send your cv and apply for a job before you move to Norway.

My son was 9 when we moved from England to Norway. It doesn't take them long to speak the language. Besides - the English school system is ahead of the Norwegian at primary school level. Your son will be 1 academic year ahead of his age group.

You should be entitled to free Norwegian lessons at the Fr.stad international school (only for adults). It's in gamlebyen  day and night classes available.

As an English speaking child your son will not be allowed to join the innførings klasse for foreign kids or be given any extra norsk lessons. Fr.stad kommune ruled that the English speaking children don't need as much help as other foreign children with learning Norwegian.

I'm sure your boyfriend's family can help out with teaching you both Norwegian.

Good luck - let me know if you want some English speaking contacts in Fr.stad. I know mostly Americans but they are great. They have kids your son's age at Trosvik skole and Rød skole (Gressvik).

Caroline