Health insurance for family members

Hello. We are moving to Costa Rica due to my work contract. I have learned that my wife and two children are not going to have a medical insurance paid by company (37+9+3 years). I would like to get an idea of how much is it going to cost for them to get some basic insurance. Normally we are healthy and we are fine with paying 2x per year for a private doctor visit but we need an insurance for a broken leg, car accident etc. For any "planned" costly treatment, we could fly back home where we get it free.

Since you will have a contract and that should include a work visa, you should be covered by CAJA the socialized healthcare system here. You family will/should be covered as your dependents at no additional cost.

I am trying to figure out the same thing. I am coming with a teaching contract, and will have a work visa. The school will provide me with private insurance, but not my hubby and kiddo. If they are on dependent visas, are they both covered by Caja? How long does this generally take to go into effect? The school has given me a quote for adding them to my private insurance, but it's simply not affordable, given my salary.

They will only be covered by CAJA if you are covered/affiliated with CAJA through the school but it will depend on how quickly the work visa is processed.
It is very unusual that an employer is offering private insurance, when it should be providing CAJA. So be very careful that you actually have a work visa in place before you begin work. A separate account may be needed and if the principal applicant is under 55, it may be more expensive than you hope for, if your family is eligible.
If the employer does not meet the requirement for a wok visa, you cannot join CAJA

Unfortunately many employers are just 'leading you on', especially schools

Article I suggest that you should read.

This is a well-established and reputable school. They cover 80% of the costs associated with a work visa, and have given me a list of documents to have apostillated and bring with me. So, it looks like my visa will not be processed until I arrive. The private insurance is international, so that it covers me when I go home as well.

LolaNayeli wrote:

This is a well-established and reputable school. They cover 80% of the costs associated with a work visa, and have given me a list of documents to have apostillated and bring with me. So, it looks like my visa will not be processed until I arrive. The private insurance is international, so that it covers me when I go home as well.

Lola,

Be sure that your international insurance does cover you when/if you go home.  We had international health insurance when we first came here and it covered us in any country in the world except the U.S.  Personally I prefer and trust CR medical care more than the U.S. anyway.  It is ranked higher as well.  (By the W.H.O.)

- Expat Dave

I just reviewed my benefits information, and it says my Caja coverage will start the day I arrive in CR. The private insurance will cover me locally and in the States. But the private insurance is only for me, not hubby & kiddo. If they are on dependent visas, they will be covered by Caja, correct?

In that case, do you have any recommendations for emergency coverage for when we are travelling/ in the States?

Unfortunately I can't help with this particular CAJA question as one usually cannot be affiliated with them until you have provided immigration with the necessary paperwork and they have accepted your application so I don't understand how your family will be covered immediately,  :/  if you do not have a work visa in your possession when you arrive...and it can take months to actually get a work visa.
Immigration and /or the airlines will require to have return tickets.

Again, I have never heard of an employer providing private insurance.

I'll ask HR about it again. They've sent me a list of docs to get apostillated, but told me to bring them with me. The benefits sheet clearly says that local health care coverage is in effect upon arrival.

Please let us know how this worked out for you. :cool: