Best small towns in the Algarve

I have wanted to leave the US for over 20 years but now I feel compelled. I have never been to Portugal but after much reading I would like to give it a try and I am attracted to both the Azores and the Algarve. I believe I would be most comfortable in a small town within a brisk bike ride of the sea or within 30 minutes via bus or train. Anybody have any favorite places like this ?

My mother lives in Carvoeiro in the Algarve, has been there since my father retired in the 90's. My husband & I visit a couple of times a year and have always enjoyed it. Winters can be chilly but the summers are outstanding. Very much worth considering!

I have only just joined up so its rather a late relt to your question but since there is only one reply so far this might encourage others to chime in.

Firstly Azores and Algarve are about as different as chalk and cheese. Azores is a grou of islands several hours flight away from anywhere. It is not a popular tourist destination because of this. The climate is cooler and wetter than the Algarve.

The Algarve is attached to mainland Europe it is a major tourist destination, has scores of flights daily and you drive from here to anywhere in Europe. Azores is isolated the Algarve is not.

Parts of the Algarve can be very busy particularly along the coastal belt however 20-30 kms inland from the coast you will find the kind of towns and villages that you mentioned, one such town is where we live ourselves in the winter months, it is called Monchique and we love it. follow the link to read more about the area, the site will give you a great idea of what to find there. It is a great starting point and you will find relevant links there to more info.

The climate is perfect and in winter is very similar to Florida and San Diego, nights can be cool but day time temperatures can be up to 22deg on a sunny day an 14 on a rainy day of which there are not too many.

I hope that you are not put off by the lack of response to your question

I am also interested in small quaint villages that are livable longterm! All info appreciated!

MVJohnson wrote:

I have wanted to leave the US for over 20 years but now I feel compelled. I have never been to Portugal but after much reading I would like to give it a try and I am attracted to both the Azores and the Algarve. I believe I would be most comfortable in a small town within a brisk bike ride of the sea or within 30 minutes via bus or train. Anybody have any favorite places like this ?

Maybe I can add my twopenn'orth...

I've been visiting The Algarve for a few years now, up to 4 times a year.  The weather can be VERY hot in summer, very wet in the autumn and spring months, though in my experience, they seem to get a lot of rain very quickly and it's done with.

We have needed warmer clothes in November/December but we've also been on the beach in 24deg.  Evenings can get chilly, but nothing like as cool as the U.K.

My first few visits were based in Albufeira, a reasonable size town with all the shopping you need.  It has an old town and a marina.  The locals are generally friendly and most speak some English.  I'm learning Portuguese but their English is still better than my Portuguese!

Albufeira and it's immediate surroundings are very tourist orientated, a lot of shops and restaurants close from Oct/nov through until after new year.

More recently, we've discovered Alvor.  Still a touristy town but not as in your face and not as big.  It has an excellent selection of restaurants including vegetarian.  It is also handy for Lagos and Portimão if you need a more commercial setup.

Alvor is well placed for excellent beaches too.

A few years ago, I was ready to buy a place, 30 minutes inland by car.  This was at Sao Marcos de Serra.  It is very Portuguese in its feel, we loved the place.  Be aware it can get hotter inland than on the coast.

We checked out Monchique area a few times.  It's in the hills and was always wet when we were there!  Quaint place though.

I'll be back in less than 5 weeks time and I'll be staying in Alvor but heading east to check out Vila Real de Santo Antônio on the Rio Guadiana.  It also has a marina, is apparently, a little old fashioned and is handy for Spain.  All pluses for me!

Eastern Algarve, western Algarve and the central area are very different.  You need to visit to appreciate it.  30 mins inland is also very different to on the coast.  You may like Silves, Paderne and Alte.

I've found nowhere I dislike, apart from the nightmare small roads in the centre of Lagos and Portimão.

All these places are within sensible driving distance of Faro airport which has many flights in and around Europe.

Good luck with your search!

P.s.  if U.K. property law was the same as Portugal's, I'd now be a Portuguese resident, sipping aperitifs while overlooking my 17 acres.....  but that's another story!

All the best,  :)

Vila Real de Sto António is delightful.  A degree of run down ~ness in the central area which I at any rate find attractive.
Quite a number of Estate Agents whose windows you can look in to  get an idea of rentals pricing.
The centre of the town is maybe a couple of kilometres from the beach area, but I was told is easily cyclable and / or in summer months the Council lay on a direct beach bus.
It has a railway station ( the furthest easterly point of the line )  from which all the rest of the Algarve can be visited, not to mention connections at Faro of course for Lisbon.