Paying bills in the USA

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in the USA?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in the USA? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I pay 100% of my US bills on line. Easy and safe.

Bob K

We also pay everything online, including the rent/mortgage in the States.  Haven't had a checkbook for almost two decades, and there's no way we would pay fee for money order.

Check book???? I seem to remember having one of those  :D

Bob K

Remember when we wrote check at every store, received bank statement in the mail, then spent the evening balancing the checkbook by comparing with the statement line by line?  And some conversation with the spouse would have almost always happened in the process, "Did you buy something at XYZ and didn't enter in the check register, AGAIN?"

Such good old time when we had more things to argue face to face  ;) , unlike now when everybody's eyes are glued to his/her own smartphone.

Priscilla wrote:

With what frequency are different bills sent in the USA? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Bills are always sent monthly, although the dates can be selected and agreed upon between the service providers and the customers, so not all of them would arrive at the same time.  There's always a grace period for bill paying.  For credit cards, it's usually 10 days.  For rent and mortgage, 5 days.  For utilities, car payments, car insurance, etc., approximately one week IIRC.

The exception for monthly bills would be car insurance, which one can pay monthly (extra charge), quarterly (smaller extra charge), semi-annually (even smaller extra charge), or annually (no extra charge).

1.    Some apartments include water and electric, but you pay heat and other bills by yourself. Few companies include all bills except internet.
2.    Almost every company has an online payment option. Only few don't.
3.    Most bills are due at the end of the month. Electric, garbage, heat, internet & cable….