Registering a birth in Croatia

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Croatia? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Croatia?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

HI!

My youngest child is a teenager, and both were born abroad. Both children have dual citizenship and  It was very easy to take care of.  Honestly, since so many years have passed, I don't remember every little detail, but here are the basics.

I am American. The US embassy in Zagreb requested that Croatian birth documents be translated and verified by a court translator.  We made the appointment and were intructed to bring the baby in to the embassy (to confirm that he or she actually exists).

Both parents must be present - or show proof that they support citizenship in the non-birth country via signed statement signed by a notary public (javni biljeznik). 

Our appointment lasted less than an hour - the child was seen, paperwork was filled out, and a fee was paid. I don't remember the cost (in 2005) but it wasn't exorbitant. A report of birth abroad was created and issued to us by post, received a week to ten days later.

After that I applied for each child's social security number and they later received their US passports.

Things may have changed, but that is how it was for us.

Kind Regards,
Anastasia