Iguanas

Been here I Texas having surgery last cple. years .
Does anyone know if they have relaxed the IGUANA , hunting / harvesting, again ? they almost destroyed 50 acres of my fruit trees when I was there last month?

An invasive species. Some irresponsible c***s brought them over as pets and let them free. They've devastated rare bird populations.

I'm getting my pellet gun ready.

Me too, locked, cocked, and ready to rock

I know money is a major issue for the GPR, but they should put a bounty on Iguanas ($5-10 ea) and Feral Hogs $20-25 ea). I have never had to deal with Iguanas, but we have raised well over 100,000 Head of hogs (Domestic) for meat production when I farmed.

They will destroy everything and Ferals can be very dangerous. Before we would load out for market, our's ran between 250-290lbs. You better not fall in a pen of them and can not get out, because they would eat you. When one of them went down (bad back, leg, heat stroke or whatever), they would attack and slowly kill and eat the one that was down, if we happen to miss seeing the downed one when doing our walk throughs each day. Also they do not have to have tusks to be dangerous either. All of the domestics have their tusks broke out at weaning. They still have other teeth and they hurt. I have been bite several times.

People should use their brains before introducing creatures of the like to new regions. The Iguanas in PR sound like the same situation as the Pythons that were let loose in Florida. What idiots.

Can I own a Shot Gun and kill them?

JOS66 wrote:

Can I own a Shot Gun and kill them?

Not easily.  Puerto Rico has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.  Most folks buy high-powered air rifles to kill iguanas.  Not gonna do you much good with a boar though.

May have to get creative then!! Plus use the HP Air Rifles.

:lol:

Spencerazac wrote:

Me too, locked, cocked, and ready to rock

JOS66 wrote:

May have to get creative then!! Plus use the HP Air Rifles.

Try a Javelin or bow, like in the old times before gun powder was invented. Also firing a gun is prohibited except in some cases.

:lol: YES, and Puerto Rico gave Hawaii , the Coqui frog ,and they have us for that one  ;)
Thank goodness Iguanas are tasty  :top:

dugtx1 wrote:

:lol: YES, and Puerto Rico gave Hawaii , the Coqui frog ,and they have us for that one  ;)
Thank goodness Iguanas are tasty  :top:

We shared the coqui sweet sleep inducing chanting. Once used to it, if they stop people sometimes wake up.

I read, years ago, how many of the retirees in Hawaii, complaining of the coqui noise! I love that sound! I've got 5 dogs on the grounds, no iquanas. I did cook one up, when I lived in Rincon; it was tasty!

In Hawaii, in some of the communities they go ut at night with a flashlight to hunt the coqui out, they say it is causing their property values to drop. I bet those complains are not from the natives.

I have gotten used to the sound, but it's hard to handle,  when they're right outside your window on your window, those little suckers can get pretty loud.  Those little suckers can get pretty loud. I know  It's like having a cricket on your pillow.  I've read they don't seem to like them in the Hawaiian islands, they're trying to eradicate them there,  I never heard them when I was in Hawaii,  i've read Hawaiian blogs that say that they use baking soda to try to push them out.

ReyP wrote:

In Hawaii, in some of the communities they go ut at night with a flashlight to hunt the coqui out, they say it is causing their property values to drop. I bet those complains are not from the natives.

yea, but try to find a native who can afford to own property on their native islands?

Sitka wrote:
ReyP wrote:

yea, but try to find a native who can afford to own property on their native islands?

Exactly, natives can't afford to live there anymore and there are such a small minority now that their votes and concerns do not count for much nowadays.

That could easily happen in PR.

Wonder how coqi frogs got the attention here...? 
I recently moved to Australia from the "Big Island" of Hawaii.  We had regular coqui hunts to keep them out of our neighborhood (Volcano golf course estate)... Down the 'hill' in the Hilo/Keeau/Puna areas they are so loud at night you have to almost shout to hold a conversation.  This has had a definite effect on property values!  Some say they have gotten used to them, but, they must be almost DEAF! Yes, a few coqui's 'singing' to the ladies at night is very nice and sweet sounding...but...when there are 10,000 per square kilometer, then it is no longer 'cute' nor 'sweet'!  We are planning to relocate permanently to Puerto Rico early next year, and I will do my best to find an area where they are not so concentrated (usually in higher elevation, as they do not like the cold weather). 
BTW, I think Iguana's are "cool"... Here in Australia there are two lizards on steroids... the Goana and the pirinti.  I had an encounter with a huge goana a few decades ago, but still clearly remember it standing up on its hind legs, balanced on its tail and looking me straight in the eyes with its tongue flipping in/out...and challenging me for the footpath...needless to say, I got off the footpath. It just lowered itself and waddled past me with a smug look! (smile)

Oh...forgot to mention...99% oh Hawaiian are now of mixed blood... most have priority for housing in many areas...and in some areas, there must be at least one partner who is  50+% Hawaiian blood... They have a lot of 'rights' restored regards access to areas that others either cannot go or must get a paid permit... They mostly live in very nice homes and communities... just an update for you on the status of Hawaiian natives.

vk4an wrote:

Oh...forgot to mention...99% oh Hawaiian are now of mixed blood... most have priority for housing in many areas...and in some areas, there must be at least one partner who is  50+% Hawaiian blood... They have a lot of 'rights' restored regards access to areas that others either cannot go or must get a paid permit... They mostly live in very nice homes and communities... just an update for you on the status of Hawaiian natives.

Good to hear, I been hearing a completely different story.
Why would they need priority for housing? You mean public housing?
Sounds like they are being relegated to certain areas / communities, sort of like the Indians in the US?
Maybe I misunderstood.

The resort that I have a timeshare on Maui is owned by native   Hawaiians and is  leased to the resort company which needs to be renewed every few years. Most of the land is owned by native Hawaiians and is leased to various companies to develop or build on.

Certain areas are reserved exclusively for Hawaiians...not like reserves, but, regular tract-style homes... and 0% interest loans.  Certain job categories are only open to Hawaiians.  Yup. they have a lot of power and rights now. Guess that's enough for this "off topic" chat.

Thanks for clarifications Spencer and vk4an

Yea Mark Zuckerberg is just the latest to displace 700 families to expand his 1000acre compound property. He was a thief when he began facebook . why change now.