Foreign Student bringing his car

Hey y'all

My name is amer im a new member.

The thing is,I'm planning on relocating to budapest to study medicine.
I'm 20 Yo,My father is british and my mother is iranian but my passport is iranian.
I live in iran but im also a resident in dubai,UAE so i live there too.
I have a 1969 corvette stingrey and i was thinking on shipping it to hungary BUT i have no intention in registering the car in hungary as i have a 7400 CC V8 engine in it and the customs,taxes will be twice the car price.
the car has special VINTAGE plates on it so i don't have to ship the car back to dubai for inspection every year.
I heard from some of my european friends that you can take the car to a specific country (for example hungary)and drive it there for 6 months and then cross the borders and go to another country (lets say Czech republic),go back to hungary and drive it for another 6 months.i have no problem with this as i will be travelling frequently across europe but recently i think i saw it on this forum somewhere saying that this law no longer exists is that true?

And in case its true (correct me if I'm wrong) you must not be a Hungarian citizen/resident in order to be able to drive your car with foreign plates.is there anyway to turn this thing around and make it possible?is there any certain law for international students regarding this matter?

I know it might sound a bit stupid but here is an assumption :/

Lets say that i come to hungary and get my residency,do you think it will work if i transfer the ownership to my father (who isn't a resident in hungary) and get his signatured approval or some kind of a proxy to allow me drive his car?

At this point im open to any idea from anyone so please give me your feedback and experience on this topic

Thanks in advance

-Amer

Your friends are wrong.

The actual law regarding students not having to register vehicles in Hungary, which your European friends (mostly incorrectly referenced) is really meant for EU citizens only:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … dex_en.htm

If you claim EU citizen ship via your father, you will still need an EU address (i.e. your father's address) then for the car. However, since the UK is leaving the EU, this may not work for you as you will be here 3 years.

If you were moving to Germany, importing it might be fun just to drive on the Autobahn with a Stingray. But in Hungary? I wouldn't bother.

Amerhash28 wrote:

Hey y'all

....I have a 1969 corvette stingrey and i was thinking on shipping it to hungary BUT i have no intention in registering the car in hungary as i have a 7400 CC V8 engine in it and the customs,taxes will be twice the car price.
the car has special VINTAGE plates on it so i don't have to ship the car back to dubai for inspection every year.
I heard from some of my european friends that you can take the car to a specific country (for example hungary)and drive it there for 6 months and then cross the borders and go to another country (lets say Czech republic),go back to hungary and drive it for another 6 months.i have no problem with this as i will be travelling frequently across europe but recently i think i saw it on this forum somewhere saying that this law no longer exists is that true?

And in case its true (correct me if I'm wrong) you must not be a Hungarian citizen/resident in order to be able to drive your car with foreign plates.is there anyway to turn this thing around and make it possible?is there any certain law for international students regarding this matter?

Lets say that i come to hungary and get my residency,do you think it will work if i transfer the ownership to my father (who isn't a resident in hungary) and get his signatured approval or some kind of a proxy to allow me drive his car?

At this point im open to any idea from anyone so please give me your feedback and experience on this topic

Thanks in advance

-Amer

You might find it easier to import your car into the UK then keep it on UK plates while driving it around in Hungary.  You can drive it about for 6 months. However, this doesn't stop the requirement for re-registration. I know Iran has problems with dual nationality but why not simply  get your UK passport and that'll excuse the import to the UK.  Your car will also not be taxed heavily as it's old. Insurance is another issue as you are young and it's a massively powerful car. But into the UK, it's personal effects so should not have any taxes in either country. Once it's in the EU, then it should be OK to re-register it elsewhere after say, a year or two but you need to check properly. I have not imported a car into the EU for some years now. 

I cannot condone the next bit but it's well known that people do it in Hungary - you see foreign cars everywhere - mainly US ones.  One of your problems is that you'll be registered with the immigration authorities and if you get stopped they'll know all about you.   But if you have two passports you can always use the other one (e.g. registration in Hungary on the Iranian one, drive car on British and show British at traffic stops). Not guaranteed and a bit of hassle for a car.

But generally I agree with the other posters: leave it in Dubai and get a local car.  There's nowhere to drive such a monster and you'll attract unnecessary attention.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Amerhash28 wrote:

Hey y'all

....I have a 1969 corvette stingrey and i was thinking on shipping it to hungary BUT i have no intention in registering the car in hungary as i have a 7400 CC V8 engine in it and the customs,taxes will be twice the car price.

Thanks in advance

-Amer

I cannot condone the next bit but it's well known that people do it in Hungary - you see foreign cars everywhere - mainly US ones.  One of your problems is that you'll be registered with the immigration authorities and if you get stopped they'll know all about you.   But if you have two passports you can always use the other one (e.g. registration in Hungary on the Iranian one, drive car on British and show British at traffic stops). Not guaranteed and a bit of hassle for a car.

But generally I agree with the other posters: leave it in Dubai and get a local car.  There's nowhere to drive such a monster and you'll attract unnecessary attention.

Yeah i had the same idea yesterday  but you must have beat me to it.

A lot of people told me that it doesn't worth the hassle and just keep the car where it is but the truth is that i probably will have to stay in budapest for over 6 years and in that time i will need a vehicle,not just for my everyday driving but for travelling as well.im a real travel person and im not intrested in going back to hot dubai for summer and drive my car in 55 degrees weather.i want to drive the car the way it should be,a proper grand tourer and i will consider any solution no matter how risky it is.
So lets say i apply for residency on the iranian passport and then bring the car to hungary,what are the risks if i get stopped by the police? Here are some of my concerns i would like your opinion on:

A:what if i get stopped and they check my passport?will they be looking for an entry stamp?because as far as i know its electronic stamp for EU countries.

B:do the police have access to passport and immigration data to see if i have entered the country with this passport(the british one) or not?

C:how long can the car stay in the country?do i have to cross the border every 6 months to renew the allowed stay period or there isn't any particular law regarding tourist cars?

D:why is it that everyone thinks its a bad idea to bring such a car to hungary?im very very curious.is it bad fuel?bad roads?its not going to be a dailydriver,just for weekends and travel.

I know what you're thinking and it's not a good idea. Be prepared to have the car seized and never returned by the authorities.

And the fact it's a 69 Corvette with Iranian or UAE plates it's not like it'll blend in with all the other cards on the road. Police will remember that car and pull you over in a heartbeat. Oh, and you can be sure they'll have a good ole' time with the car once it's been seized.

Why the concern about the police checking your passport for entry stamps?

It's not a bad idea to bring a car to Hungary - legally. There's no magic loophole to driving the car over to Slovakia, grabbing a lunch across the border, then driving back to Hungary and voila - the six month period is reset.

Your only option is to legally register the car, get HU plates, and pay the appropriate duties. Also not sure what sort of emission or safety regulations will apply.

jesperss wrote:

I know what you're thinking and it's not a good idea. Be prepared to have the car seized and never returned by the authorities.

And the fact it's a 69 Corvette with Iranian or UAE plates it's not like it'll blend in with all the other cards on the road. Police will remember that car and pull you over in a heartbeat. Oh, and you can be sure they'll have a good ole' time with the car once it's been seized.

Why the concern about the police checking your passport for entry stamps?

It's not a bad idea to bring a car to Hungary - legally. There's no magic loophole to driving the car over to Slovakia, grabbing a lunch across the border, then driving back to Hungary and voila - the six month period is reset.

Your only option is to legally register the car, get HU plates, and pay the appropriate duties. Also not sure what sort of emission or safety regulations will apply.

I used the tax regulator and it says that i have to pay 9500 USD in order to register the car with hungarian plates.

Why would the police seize the car?whats the problem with travellers bringing their foreign plated cars to the country?in london you can see lots of exotic foreign cars cruising down the streets and most of them are from middle east and there is no problem whatsoever So whats special about hungary and its police that makes you think its a bad idea to do so?

And again thanks for the replies

Sorry, I think i misunderstood. Thought I read that you were planning on spending six years in Hungary, not six months.

You should have no problem driving the car for six months or less with foreign plates. After that you'll have to pay the $9500 if you want to keep the car in Hungary.

jesperss wrote:

Sorry, I think i misunderstood. Thought I read that you were planning on spending six years in Hungary, not six months.

You should have no problem driving the car for six months or less with foreign plates. After that you'll have to pay the $9500 if you want to keep the car in Hungary.

No you read right.i will be staying in hungary for  6 years as the medicine course i will follow is that long but i have from 4-6 months of free time every year that i plan on travelling so i have no problem exiting the country every few months.

What im trying to say is,as a person with a duel nationality,if i get my residency on the iranian passport BUT show the british one in case i get stopped by the police and say im a tourist frequently travelling across europe,will i face any issues with the local authorities?because as i heard from other forum members,there are a lot of cars with international plates in budapest so what could go wrong in this scenario?

If you're pulled over just tell the officer (who undoubtedly will understand and speak english) that you're just a tourist. Of course they won't ask for any proof showing when the car entered the country, like a customs form.  Just flash your British passport and all will be good. The officer take your word for it.

Sounds like there's absolutely nothing that could go wrong in that scenario.

jesperss wrote:

If you're pulled over just tell the officer (who undoubtedly will understand and speak english) that you're just a tourist. Of course they won't ask for any proof showing when the car entered the country, like a customs form.  Just flash your British passport and all will be good. The officer take your word for it.

I have never travelled to the country and i don't know the people and I'm just confused what i must do and i would consider any idea that helps me use the car and prevent it from dust and rust where its sitting as i have spent a lot of time and money restoring and modifying it.
What I'm saying is based on stuff i read on internet and i have no idea how the system works there  as a fellow expat i would appreciate something more than your kind sarcasm.
All i know,is that residents/citizens at any state of the EU or schengen area are allowed to travel across europe with their cars and that there are a lot of foreign cars on hungarian roads facing absolutely no problem (which i could be wrong).
So instead of sarcastic comments i would prefer to hear your opinion (and other's)on what are the alternative solutions

Thanks

Amerhash28 wrote:
jesperss wrote:

I have never travelled to the country and i don't know the people and I'm just confused what i must do and i would consider any idea that helps me use the car and prevent it from dust and rust where its sitting as i have spent a lot of time and money restoring and modifying it.
What I'm saying is based on stuff i read on internet and i have no idea how the system works there  as a fellow expat i would appreciate something more than your kind sarcasm.
All i know,is that residents/citizens at any state of the EU or schengen area are allowed to travel across europe with their cars and that there are a lot of foreign cars on hungarian roads facing absolutely no problem (which i could be wrong).
So instead of sarcastic comments i would prefer to hear your opinion (and other's)on what are the alternative solutions

Thanks

Other posters have it right of course.  Your non-EU plates will make you a  target.  What you could do is get your British passport and use that for your Uni registration and drive on Iranian.  But really, it's all a nonsense.  Your insurance will be astronomical with UAE plates assuming you can get any. The simplest, less worrisome way of going forward is to do it all legitimately.   

Don't forget ANY EU citizen is not supposed to drive a car from outside the EU - that's been the law for years and years.

What no-one has really said is that your car is your personal effects, like your clothes or your toothbrush.  If it's 2nd hand, and you've owned it for 6 months outside the UK (which is still the EU at the moment), then you can import it.  This should also apply to Hungary.  So there should be no taxes at all.  What you are probably seeing at the "online calculator" showing $9500 is the initial registration tax which is appallingly high in HU.

I might suggest the following  - obviously you need to confirm my statements -  as I outlined to avoid stupid hassles and still do it legitimately:

1) Obtain your British passport;
2) Get UK address;
3) Import your car as personal effects into the UK - it will need to be inspected;
4) Obtain necessary docs from inspection authorities (VOSA);
5) Register car in the UK - as your car is so old, it'll be in a lower tax class for road tax - you need to pay every year;
6) Obtain insurance - likely to be monstrously high;
7) Drive car legitimately in EU and a few other countries for 6 months (you really have to keep it out of HU for 6 months but potentially you can get away with it for longer - your risk).

You could possible get it registered as an Old Timer in Hungary but that's another kettle of fish.  Whatever you do to import the car into HU, you're going to be hit for that registration fee.

I've imported cars into the UK several times, including vehicles made in Turkey and Canada and it's all been relatively easy if you are bit knowledgeable.   The biggest hassle currently is that LHD cars all need to be inspected - even new ones.  Your hassle will be the speedometer (must be in mph but can be in kmh if both are shown), headlights, possibly seat belts and indicators.  Your car is so old that it will definitely need to be inspected on import and each and every year thereafter.  There is an annual test known as the MoT - Ministry of Transport (Test) - which can only be done in the UK.

One obscure thing you could think about is import into the Isle of Man.  For that you get quirky number plates and no-MoT requirement.  But you have to ask yourself if it's really worthwhile.

There are odd things in the EU which show that it's not a level playing field even supposedly as a "common market". For example - not connected to cars - VAT in the UK on art imports is 5% (unless "unique" then 0%)  whereas in HU, it's 27% across the board. Guess where people always import their art and then ship it on?  So you can shop around for an import country for you car to get a good deal.

Amerhash28 wrote:

in london you can see lots of exotic foreign cars cruising down the streets and most of them are from middle east and there is no problem whatsoever

Maybe they were just temporary imports (i.e. much, much less than 6 years). Or people who drove to London for short time and will drive back. Or maybe also illegal.

This is Hungary, not the UK. What is common in London is in part due to British History (i.e. colonial empire), which differs from Hungary. So no commonwealth of nations, or large populations of non-European ethnic groups and their imports in Budapest to "hide" an illegally imported car with non-EU foreign plates amongst others that are there short term and legal.

Amerhash28 wrote:

B:do the police have access to passport and immigration data to see if i have entered the country with this passport(the british one) or not?

Of course they do. And you will be a student resident, so you will also have resident papers, visa papers, etc. so you will be in the "data system" in many places. This is not a backwards country. Modern police cruisers all have fully network linked computers. The police take your passport, say "wait here" and go and check all about you on their computer.

And the police setup random check points. And they certainly stop cars with non-EU plates. I know. I use to drive from Switzerland. I was stopped many times with my Swiss car. After moving here and buying a car locally with HU plates I was never stopped at a checkpoint. Your car, combo of a Stingray with very foreign plates, will stick out like a sore thumb. They might stop you just to look the car over because it is "cool", then might get suspicious when they see you (sorry to say this, but you may not be aware of the local "social politics" going on in Hungary at the moment, and you probably don't look "Hungarian" .... ).

Amerhash28 wrote:

C:how long can the car stay in the country?do i have to cross the border every 6 months to renew the allowed stay period or there isn't any particular law regarding tourist cars?

This crossing the border thing every six months is wrong. Whomever told you this is wrong.

Amerhash28 wrote:

D:why is it that everyone thinks its a bad idea to bring such a car to hungary?

It is not bad to import a car. But the ways you are suggesting doing it are illegal and that is bad.

Amerhash28 wrote:

What you are suggesting has already been debunked here. You can trust things on the Internet about as much as you can trust a two legged chair to not fall over. People suggesting such are  either doing so correctly as EU citizens studying in another country with an EU registered car (see my link and comment above), ignorant of what they are doing is illegal, or are actively breaking the law, and simply have not gotten caught (yet).

Amerhash28 wrote:

All i know,is that residents/citizens at any state of the EU or schengen area are allowed to travel across europe with their cars

EU residents are allowed to travel and use their EU registered cars in other EU countries for extended periods in some cases and as allowed by EU law (one example is the link above I gave you already for students).

But if you bring in a car from outside the EU you have to import it, that is true even for students. Which you are trying to avoid. And you can't do that legally. Despite what "others" on the Internet said or did (again, because of ignorance or malice).

Amerhash28 wrote:

there are a lot of foreign cars on hungarian roads facing absolutely no problem (which i could be wrong).

Seeing foreign cars in Hungary means nothing. They may be legitimate tourists for example. You would be a resident. Sorry, but the rules for you are then different.

Amerhash28 wrote:

Because, to be legal, you have to import the car somewhere into the EU (into Hungary where you will be a resident, or to the UK as fluffy2560 suggested) to drive it here if you become a resident and will be keeping the car in the EU for any period of time. Any other suggestion is wrong.

By asking questions like "do the police have access to passport and immigration data" appears you are trying to avoid being caught by doing something illegal. And asking if that would work is basically asking us here to be co-conspirators in an illegal act. Quite frankly, there is a growing dislike of foreign residents in Hungary by some Hungarians for many reasons, but including what they see as foreigners breaking Hungarian law. So I would prefer you not keep inquiring how do things like avoiding the police from knowing you are breaking the law. This negatively affects your fellow expats.

klsallee wrote:
Amerhash28 wrote:

What you are suggesting has already been debunked here. You can trust things on the Internet about as much as you can trust a two legged chair to not fall over. People suggesting such are  either doing so correctly as EU citizens studying in another country with an EU registered car (see my link and comment above), ignorant of what they are doing is illegal, or are actively breaking the law, and simply have not gotten caught (yet).

Amerhash28 wrote:

All i know,is that residents/citizens at any state of the EU or schengen area are allowed to travel across europe with their cars

EU residents are allowed to travel and use their EU registered cars in other EU countries for extended periods in some cases and as allowed by EU law (one example is the link above I gave you already for students).

But if you bring in a car from outside the EU you have to import it, that is true even for students. Which you are trying to avoid. And you can't do that legally. Despite what "others" on the Internet said or did (again, because of ignorance or malice).

Amerhash28 wrote:

there are a lot of foreign cars on hungarian roads facing absolutely no problem (which i could be wrong).

Seeing foreign cars in Hungary means nothing. They may be legitimate tourists for example. You would be a resident. Sorry, but the rules for you are then different.

Amerhash28 wrote:

Because, to be legal, you have to import the car somewhere into the EU (into Hungary where you will be a resident, or to the UK as fluffy2560 suggested) to drive it here if you become a resident and will be keeping the car in the EU for any period of time. Any other suggestion is wrong.

By asking questions like "do the police have access to passport and immigration data" appears you are trying to avoid being caught by doing something illegal. And asking if that would work is basically asking us here to be co-conspirators in an illegal act. Quite frankly, there is a growing dislike of foreign residents in Hungary by some Hungarians for many reasons, but including what they see as foreigners breaking Hungarian law. So I would prefer you not keep inquiring how do things like avoiding the police from knowing you are breaking the law. This negatively affects your fellow expats.

Yes, i see your point now.it appears that there is no cheap solution for this So maybe its better if i keep the car in the garage and trust a family member with it while I'm abroad.

klsalle,fluffy and all others,thank you for your help and kind words,you have been most helpful and god knows what would happen if i took the word of the internet.

But I have one very important question i would like to ask you if you don't mind:

I noticed that pretty much every reply i got from expats on this forum mentioned something about the dislike of expats in hungary by locals or authorities.i heard in a couple of places that hungarians and the polish are very nice and warm with others(they could be wrong as they haven't been there for years)

A:What makes it inconvenient for the locals to have expats?

B:which foreign nationalities have the most population in hungary

C:is there any nationality that hungarians dislike or look down to more than others(for example in UAE its the indians)

D:have you ever seen any racist act in hungary?what have you seen or heard happen.

Thanks again for all the kind words

klsallee wrote:
Amerhash28 wrote:

in london you can see lots of exotic foreign cars cruising down the streets and most of them are from middle east and there is no problem whatsoever

Maybe they were just temporary imports (i.e. much, much less than 6 years). Or people who drove to London for short time and will drive back. Or maybe also illegal.

klsallee wrote:

This is Hungary, not the UK. What is common in London is in part due to British History (i.e. colonial empire), which differs from Hungary. So no commonwealth of nations, or large populations of non-European ethnic groups and their imports in Budapest to "hide" an illegally imported car with non-EU foreign plates amongst others that are there short term and legal.

That's true.  I've seen many cars here that have strange number plates - Paraguay, Nigeria, California and other USA places, Quebec and even scam/made up number plates.  I've seen Iranian trucks driving up the highways. I've even seen Australian number plates. But the police are not stupid, they know what is going on and if they wanted to, they could stop anyone.  They don't always have the time or interest.

Amerhash28 wrote:

klsallee wrote:

This crossing the border thing every six months is wrong. Whomever told you this is wrong.

It was the case that you could get away with it.  But that was in the mid-1990s.  Hungary just didn't have legislation for those circumstances but now it's in the EU, all EU rules apply. 

Amerhash28 wrote:

D:why is it that everyone thinks its a bad idea to bring such a car to hungary?

klsallee wrote:

It is not bad to import a car. But the ways you are suggesting doing it are illegal and that is bad.

If you had something like a Toyota then no-one would be interested in your car.  But non-EU plates are always going to draw attention to you.

You might want to note if you drive it on Dubai plates, you'll almost certainly need a carnet to cover a customs bond.  You can read about it here (example): CPD. It's all so complicated, it's not really worth it.

Amerhash28 wrote:

i heard in a couple of places that hungarians and the polish are very nice and warm with others(they could be wrong as they haven't been there for years)

Hungarians are socially polite. Visitors interpret that as being "friendly". But that also means they may never really tell you what they actually think or are thinking. Which means they often tell you what you want to hear, not their actual views. Which can really complicate life when you live here and need to get things done.

It is hard to describe, but I think two Kalles videos show it very well between my culture (California, American, tell you to your face what you think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyfZydK-4s

And Hungarian (saying in Hungarian "that is disgusting" (loose translation), yet when asked if it is good, smiling and nodding, but she can not hide the truth in her face expression  :) ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yspCiq3WnU

Amerhash28 wrote:

B:which foreign nationalities have the most population in hungary

I have no idea. But this may be tallied at some web site, somewhere.

Amerhash28 wrote:

C:is there any nationality that hungarians dislike or look down to more than others(for example in UAE its the indians)

Regarding one nationality more than others, I do not know. I guess one must be of a nationality to be really aware of the it. For example, being an American, I do know of some anti-American sentiments. But I do not know the extent of, or even existence of, say Hungarian anti-British sentiments. This is just not in my radar.

Amerhash28 wrote:

D:have you ever seen any racist act in hungary?

Yes. But that is true in any country.

In Hungary you will be profiled by the locals. You will be restlessly gossiped about with added details about who you are that have no basis in reality. But this is not, for example, the USA where things have, sadly, gone far beyond that at times.

We shipped over 2 cars back in 2000. 2 cars were for us and 2 we bought in Ca and shipped over for friends, they let us pick out the cars in Ca. They trusted my husband to do them right. We actually sent over one guys first Mercedes Benz, now he has his own Mercedes dealership in Hungary.
It is stricter now with foreign plates.
Our HU friends brought their new Honda to HU 15 years ago, paid to get everything up to HU standards, changed whatever was required to change.
As soon as they parked it near their flat it was stolen, not the first person I know who had their recently updated car stolen right in front of their home.
One friend actually saw it being stolen but she was not about to get into it with 3 men, they started to get out of the car and run after her when she came out screaming at them from her home.
She ran back inside her house fast.
I think the issue is the cost of insurance for such a flashy car, if you have HU plates the rates should be cheaper but for full coverage, wow, you will need a doctors income to make those payments.

Hate to disappoint you but you will not get the chance to open that baby up on the highway here.
Not in Hungary, the paid highways are the only areas where the roads are half way in good condition but they are always packed with other drivers and they have serious cameras on the roads ready to send out tickets via the "big bro is watching you" system.
If you really want to see what your car can do then perhaps shipping it to the desert highways in the USA is one of the last places to go wild. Although with those "foreign plates" on the  car ,you have to pray some red neck cop doesn't decide to pull you over in AZ or Texas.
Also you will need a miracle to get any parts over here for repairs in a hurry.
I am guessing all parts would be shipped over from the US or perhaps they have used parts in the UK for a Kings ransom. pricey.
It is true, other college students are going to resent you with such a fancy car at your fingertips.
I am married to a HUngarian and know many Hungarians don't think all that much of UK people either.
They find ( I have heard from some HUn women who lived in the UK) that they men are weak and the women are bossy, They say they are snobs and their food mostly is horrible, just saying I personally have no idea never been to the UK.It is true Hungarian are socially very polite but they will resent seeing such a car driven in Hungary by such a young person, will think you are a spoiled brat, really they will. Better to buy a low key car and study, once you have your degree and are on your own then you can "show off". Just saying... My good friend has been married since 1973 to a man from Iran, they are great-grandparents now so not anti- Iranian here, just being real. She's a trip, a 6 ' tall German Swed who speaks Farsi.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

If you really want to see what your car can do then perhaps shipping it to the desert highways in the USA is one of the last places to go wild.

Germany is ok, no speed limits on the autobahn in many places.  Some super high speed driving possibly early in the mornings when there's no traffic.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Also you will need a miracle to get any parts over here for repairs in a hurry.
I am guessing all parts would be shipped over from the US or perhaps they have used parts in the UK for a Kings ransom. pricey.

Probably a  better bet than the UK is Germany.  Some dealers there in old timers. I can get parts for my American car in Germany.  Shipping is more pricey than from the UK because of their "green" lobby.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

They find ( I have heard from some HUn women who lived in the UK) that they men are weak and the women are bossy, They say they are snobs and their food mostly is horrible, just saying I personally have no idea never been to the UK.

Haha! Funny!  Actually most men in the UK that are educated and not from certain parts of the world culturally, are actually very liberal and definitely not chauvinists. It's becoming a more flat society as people are richer these days and class structures are somewhat in decline.  There's far more cultural sensitivity than before and it's becoming incredibly diverse ethnically and culturally - particularly in London. Always a great thing to my mind to get the best of all things so long as it's in the context of  shared values.   

As for the bossy women, there's a tendency for the Northerners to be more outspoken but generally women are far more emancipated that here in HU. They expect their rights and don't mind telling you if you cross a line.  I would not say that is true hereabouts in HU.   We have some real misogynists in HU, you wouldn't believe it.  It would be utterly unacceptable to say things in the UK like they do here. I am truly shocked sometimes at the lack of respect.

As for the food, we have our delicacies in the UK which we quite like of course.  But it's all a bit heavy and not very light but that's because the weather is rubbish and it can be very cold, rainy and windy and one needs energy.  So it's quite stodgy.  I love my UK Sunday lunches at the pub. 

And Marilyn, you really should visit the UK, you'll find it very interesting but best thing is to spend some time away from London - perhaps go to Brighton for a day.  It's got a really rich history - 1000s of years of it and very diverse scenery. The best time I believe is Spring. Nowhere like it in the Spring.  And of course, everyone speaks English!

Would love to see the UK, maybe someday...
My sister lived there for 10 years and still I never made it over.
I was not trying to be rude about people from the UK just repeating what I heard through the "grapevine".
I know HU men can be rough at times, I had a very, very strong willed and very tough mom, I guess I likes me men tough, at least as tough as my mum was!! Ha, ha,5'4" of stubborn pride, my mom got into more then one fist fight to protect her husband, just don't make anyone like that any more.She carried a small 22 in her bra and a baseball bat in her car.No messing with mom.
I can't even repeat some of the comments made to me in Vegas from HU men when I mentioned my husband was Hungarian, yes they can be  a bit "piggy" at times, oh well no one is perfect.
My mum also cooked a version of American/ English style food as well as eastern European, I will eat anything as long as it tastes good and has no face on it.

Back to the roads in Hungary for a older sports car like a Vet.
Lots of side roads have pot holes and or cracks in the pavement.
If you want to drive fast on back roads it is more then dangerous. lots of twists in some areas and not much in the way of night time lighting on those roads. Tree lined narrow roads with no lights is a combo that no one wants to experience.
Yesterday we drove home from the countryside on the 5 highway. It came to a complete stand still.
We crawled for over 90 mins to the first exit and got off, took a side road before entering the highway again miles down the road.
Many foreign plated cars probably were not aware of the old side slow road  and they might of gotten very lost if they missed their turn off onto another connecting highway later down the road. ( lucky for us not many people got off the highway or it would of been another 5 hours home)
I am sure they were sitting for hours on end, 90 mins was long enough, people parking their cars and using the bushes for relief.
Noticed single parents with kids in the car, no fun at all.
We shipped over a Mustang GT in 2000, a 5 speed fast powerful car, hardly ever got to open it up and now there are even more cars on the roads then back then.
A old Vet is more of a weekend car then a everyday car. Just too much worry about it for daily use I would think.
If you dare take the slow going village roads you will hit a village about every 10 15 mins and have to slow way, way down.
The only place to possibly open up your car is way out in some countryside road very far out of town if you can find such a road.
When we shipped the Mustang over it was with the intention of selling that car.We stored it at a friends house.
We did not give permission to his younger brother to use the car. He did, got the keys and was using the car to make side money. He rented it out for racing with who knows who, almost was a totally loss on the car after that.
We had babied that car, polished it up never wore dirty shoes inside, no smoking inside etc.
When my husband returned to HU to try and sell the car he fell into literal tears.
It looked like heck, seats dirty, mud inside and the worst was the tranny was blown out.
No one in HU had parts to rebuild the tranny. Found people who could do the work but no parts.
My husband was at his wits end, built a special wooden box and flew it back to S. Ca. and took it to a good transmission guy in the valley.
When it was repaired he flew it back to HU traveled with it and took it into a mechanic in HU to have it put back in the Ford.
After all that hassle and trouble we barely broke even on the sell of it.
Just very hard to get parts for some American cars .

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

If you really want to see what your car can do then perhaps shipping it to the desert highways in the USA is one of the last places to go wild. Although with those "foreign plates" on the  car ,you have to pray some red neck cop doesn't decide to pull you over in AZ or Texas.

Thanks marilyn for the kind words.looks like you know me better than myself :D
To be honest,yeah i do like to get some attention after all one of the perks of having a Vette is showing off.....

There are some great roads in UAE for stretching your leg behind the wheel for example the old dubai-abudhabi road is 200 miles of straight road with nothing but sand dunes on the sides.but the reason i wanted to bring the car with me is that i didn't want the car to sit for years because these cars are more prone to rust and wear than newer cars so they need intense care.

I have travelled to UK before but never lived there,although i did live in orange county for i think 9 months and thats where i learned english(a brit who has an american accent and grew up in iran,i know  :| )i really like it there and as a person who lived 15 years of his life in iran,i feel that i can relate to americans more than brits due to the friendlier nature of americans.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

They find ( I have heard from some HUn women who lived in the UK) that they men are weak and the women are bossy, They say they are snobs and their food mostly is horrible

Well she is kinda right,the food is horrible(at least for an iranian) and in the case of the man and woman,i haven't witnessed it myself but i believe its the case in all the western cultural countries.the thing is,the feminist movement that has been going on for years in west specially in US and canada has been going in the wrong path for the past few years.there was a time where the point of beeing a feminist was to fight for women's rights and equality between both sexes but unfortunately,
they just want to weaken the men,take their rights and formed some kind of hatred to men instead of fighting for more rights for women and you can see it in the media, entertainment,etc...
I know im too young to have an opinion on these matters but thats just MHO.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

but they will resent seeing such a car driven in Hungary by such a young person, will think you are a spoiled brat, really they will.

unfortunately its the same case in iran,thats why i never bring it to iran for summers.the truth is that i bought it as a project car for $8000 and worked on restoring it for a full year with my father so the car just means a lot to me

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Better to buy a low key car and study, once you have your degree and are on your own then you can "show off". Just saying... My good friend has been married since 1973 to a man from Iran, they are great-grandparents now so not anti- Iranian here, just being real. She's a trip, a 6 ' tall German Swed who speaks Farsi.

Yeah figured thats the only solution for it.i trust my father with the car,just not my brother LOL

Amerhash28 wrote:

Well she is kinda right,the food is horrible(at least for an iranian) and in the case of the man and woman,i haven't witnessed it myself but i believe its the case in all the western cultural countries.the thing is,the feminist movement that has been going on for years in west specially in US and canada has been going in the wrong path for the past few years.there was a time where the point of beeing a feminist was to fight for women's rights and equality between both sexes but unfortunately,
they just want to weaken the men,take their rights and formed some kind of hatred to men instead of fighting for more rights for women and you can see it in the media, entertainment,etc...

Now that's trolling/fightin' talk.  You'll need to tone that down that kind of thinking as regards your patients, whoever they are.  Those views  need to be under control as there's a risk one could become the very stereotype that the government here try to sell as the evil foreigner.

More to the point, I just saw a bright red 5L Mustang convertible in the KFC car park in Budaors. Hungarian plates, growly engine and three young people in it.  Unfortunately they were behaving as expected flicking their cigarette ends around the outside seating area, revving the engine and accelerating too fast down suburban streets.  Asking for trouble doing that.

I think you lot need to try some proper UK food.  Like bacon sandwiches with HP sauce.  Must be smoked bacon. A classic.

fluffy2560 wrote:

As for the food, we have our delicacies in the UK which we quite like of course.  But it's all a bit heavy and not very light but that's because the weather is rubbish and it can be very cold, rainy and windy and one needs energy.  So it's quite stodgy.  I love my UK Sunday lunches at the pub.

Well i think its a matter of taste and culture.for example in iran or other places such as arab countries its safe to say over 90 % of the dishes include rice which usually is cooked with saffron,aromatic spices and ingredients are a must and every thing has to be well cooked.
So i think when someone is used to a certain standards,its really difficult to get used to tge food in some other countries.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Amerhash28 wrote:

Now that's trolling/fightin' talk.  You'll need to tone that down that kind of thinking as regards your patients, whoever they are.  Those views  need to be under control as there's a risk one could become the very stereotype that the government here try to sell as the evil foreigner.

Hmmm.i don't know what makes you think my words are trolling(trash talking)
,it seems like you got the entire story upside down as im not a doctor(I'll start medicine studies next year tho) and thats just my opinion on a matter discussed.one thing i do agree with you is that this is off topic and i don't wish to start a poiltical/cultural conversation

About the mustang you mentioned,was it a S550 chassis or post 2014 model?because the 5.0 coyote engine been in mustangs since 2010 i think.i know american cars have quite a fanbase in germany but didn't know hungary is a market for ford too.

Well thats one of reasons people buy these cars,to show off and i think its ok as long as you don't do it in a poor neighborhood or something like that because you can break a lot of young hearts with your revs.trust me,i know the feeling :sosad:

Amerhash28 wrote:

...About the mustang you mentioned,was it a S550 chassis or post 2014 model?because the 5.0 coyote engine been in mustangs since 2010 i think.i know american cars have quite a fanbase in germany but didn't know hungary is a market for ford too.

Well thats one of reasons people buy these cars,to show off and i think its ok as long as you don't do it in a poor neighborhood or something like that because you can break a lot of young hearts with your revs.trust me,i know the feeling :sosad:

Looked like post-2014 model.  I'm not that up on those kind of cars but I do know a bit about Chrysler cars, particularly Jeeps. There are fast cars here. I also saw an OT (Old Timer - HU plates for old timers begin OT here) at the petrol station locally.  It was Porsche 911, maybe from the 1970s.  A sort of purple colour.

I think doing the pedal to the metal anywhere in a suburban area is bound to annoy people here.

Amerhash28 wrote:

....Hmmm.i don't know what makes you think my words are trolling(trash talking)
,it seems like you got the entire story upside down as im not a doctor(I'll start medicine studies next year tho) and thats just my opinion on a matter discussed.one thing i do agree with you is that this is off topic and i don't wish to start a poiltical/cultural conversation

I'm quite aware you are entering medical school.   Patient-Doctor bedside manner will be an interesting one - you will have to learn Hungarian so you're going to be at the sharp end of dealing with the locals and their opinions.

Mrs Fluffy's Doc obgyn was from Iran, from Debrecen Medical School and two of our kids were delivered by him.  Nice enough chap.  She chose him because he could also speak some English and I could communicate with him.  The Obgyn Doc told us he couldn't possibly do Obgyn in Iran so he just stayed in Hungary post qualification - must have been here 20 years.  I don't think he was the only one either!  I also think one of the GPs hereabouts is from Iran.

I mentioned to my husband about your sweet ride, he being a nearly 70 year old man who used to drive a cool Special Edition Dodge Challenger after just being in the US for less then 2 years time( lots of hard work with no aid from anyone other then himself) said about your Vette,
He should enjoy driving it while he is young, the girls are going to love it and many men may be his friend so they can ride with him and be "cool".
He has a point as long as you know some not all young people will like you because of the car.
Of course not everyone will be impressed, the bike riding "green people" will probably look down their noses because they are so ," environmentally aware" more like green with envy...

The weather in Hungary is very damp and humid so rust is a big issue with all cars here, if you bring your car over you will need to have a good garage to park it in or the rust will eat it alive within a short time.
Not 100% sure but heard that cars over age 25 years do not need to change parts to be legal here, no need for smog tests etc. Best to double check that though.

Amerhash28 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

They find ( I have heard from some HUn women who lived in the UK) that they men are weak and the women are bossy, They say they are snobs and their food mostly is horrible

Well she is kinda right,the food is horrible

IMHO, the British gave to the world one of the best culinary events known to humanity: The full English breakfast.

The continental breakfast is not breakfast (even if them be fightin' words  ;) ).

I feel a food fight coming on!! ha, ha!

fluffy2560 wrote:
Amerhash28 wrote:

....Hmmm.i don't know what makes you think my words are trolling(trash talking)

I'm quite aware you are entering medical school.   Patient-Doctor bedside manner will be an interesting one - you will have to learn Hungarian so you're going to be at the sharp end of dealing with the locals and their opinions.

Mrs Fluffy's Doc obgyn was from Iran, from Debrecen Medical School and two of our kids were delivered by him.  Nice enough chap.  She chose him because he could also speak some English and I could communicate with him.  The Obgyn Doc told us he couldn't possibly do Obgyn in Iran so he just stayed in Hungary post qualification - must have been here 20 years.  I don't think he was the only one either!  I also think one of the GPs hereabouts is from Iran.

Yes he is right,men have been forbidden from practicing obgyn medicine BUT this law has been inforced for like,5 years now and they have their licensed.YET....
I'm aiming at hungary for my general medicine M.D but for general surgery,im thinking austria or maybe just go to UK.i guess we'll just have to waut and see......:)

What I'm thinking about is where i should rent a flat.i don't know if you heard of semmelweis university but thats where I'll be studying(near district VIII).
now that bringing the car to budapest idea is out of the window i want to be as close to campus as possible BUT not too close.

You see,i want it to be an area with lots of bars and other venues(have my reasons for that,not for drinking tho)around and at the same time to be quite,clean with reasonable prices.

Thanks for the replies

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I mentioned to my husband about your sweet ride, he being a nearly 70 year old man who used to drive a cool Special Edition Dodge Challenger after just being in the US for less then 2 years time( lots of hard work with no aid from anyone other then himself)

Thanks for the kind words ;)

Was it a scatpack chally your husband drove?
Maybe he will be interested to know that dodge brought the R/T scatpacks back again in 2015.its not the 440 CI engine but it has a sweet 392 CI with 485 horsepower.maybe consider getting another one again? :D

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

said about your Vette,
He should enjoy driving it while he is young, the girls are going to love it and many men may be his friend so they can ride with him and be "cool".
He has a point as long as you know some not all young people will like you because of the car.
Of course not everyone will be impressed, the bike riding "green people" will probably look down their noses because they are so ," environmentally aware" more like green with envy...

Yes he is right,the car does attract some unnecessary attention from gold diggers but thankfully not to many so far.unfortunately i haven't been so lucky with driving it enough.
We built the car and a little later i had to do my military service so i joined the army and just finished in march.didn't drive the car as much as it deserves,less than 2000 miles.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

The weather in Hungary is very damp and humid so rust is a big issue with all cars here, if you bring your car over you will need to have a good garage to park it in or the rust will eat it alive within a short time.
Not 100% sure but heard that cars over age 25 years do not need to change parts to be legal here, no need for smog tests etc. Best to double check that though.

Well,i couldn't bring the car anyway could i?
Maybe its for best,who knows what could of happened if i brought the car.other than rust and other environmental damages i would have faced some serious legal issues and possibly lose the car so I've made peace with it....

Amerhash28 wrote:

Yes he is right,men have been forbidden from practicing obgyn medicine BUT this law has been inforced for like,5 years now and they have their licensed.YET....
I'm aiming at hungary for my general medicine M.D but for general surgery,im thinking austria or maybe just go to UK.i guess we'll just have to waut and see......:)

What I'm thinking about is where i should rent a flat.i don't know if you heard of semmelweis university but thats where I'll be studying(near district VIII).
now that bringing the car to budapest idea is out of the window i want to be as close to campus as possible BUT not too close.

You see,i want it to be an area with lots of bars and other venues(have my reasons for that,not for drinking tho)around and at the same time to be quite,clean with reasonable prices.

Obviously such an ideology won't exist here so you'll have to deliver some babies etc.  Austria has a Iranian community -  Mrs Fluffy's Doc told me there's a network of Iranians there, many in medicine.

Anyone who has lived in Hungary will know Semmelweis University - it's world renowned.  And if anyone reading here does not know who Dr Semmelweis was, they should learn quickly as he's a world-class hero, not just in Hungary.  Saved many lives and died young.

The Uni is not far from the airport and there's a metro stop there, so you can go from the centre to the Uni in just a few minutes - it has an own metro station called Klinikák (yes, you've guessed it, that means Clinics).  You don't need a car really - more a nuisance than a benefit in the town.

As for somewhere to live - you need to sort that asap - competition is high for the cheaper places.

You can always rent a car for trips while living in Budapest and use the public transport in the city.
Really the traffic is so bad during the weekdays that one has to be crazy to drive around the city if just doing short errands.

Not a car expert but his old Dodge was a 1971 Challenger with a 360 special edition engine, it was the classic purple color too.
Honestly I didn't like the car as much as his tiny little funky open air Fiat that he had before getting the Dodge.
I hate flashy cars, like good solid cars like Volvo or Saab, Toyota's, Honda's don't like undo attention when I am driving out by myself.
At one time many moons ago, I had a BF who's parents were rather wealthy, he had a BMW brand new and used to let me drive it around Ca. when he was playing tennis at the country club where he father was a founding member.
I felt so strange having everyone looking at me in the car, I don't mind flashy clothing but not comfy with too much attention in public like driving a flash car.
Rather shy with attention like that but that's a "girl thing" I think.
My older sister was once given a brand new custom painted pink BMW by a man she had been dating long term, She was angry with him and refused to take the car. She was happier with her beat up VW
bug.

My husband has no interest in a flashy car any longer, just one that runs well and is safe, old people style...

klsallee wrote:
Amerhash28 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Well she is kinda right,the food is horrible

IMHO, the British gave to the world one of the best culinary events known to humanity: The full English breakfast.

The continental breakfast is not breakfast (even if them be fightin' words  ;) ).

Here here, I second that sentiment. 

I will draw a line under black pudding.  That's something I won't cross over. 

The traditional British Full English has been much imitated and corrupted - last one I saw was in an Irish pub an appropriated as a "Full Irish".  I suppose it would have come with a pint of Guinness to make a specific distinction.

You can not beat the English pies and chutney dishes, yummy!
Roasted meat dishes remind me of family Sunday dinners...

fluffy2560 wrote:

Obviously such an ideology won't exist here so you'll have to deliver some babies etc.  Austria has a Iranian community -  Mrs Fluffy's Doc told me there's a network of Iranians there, many in medicine.

Oh I'm not considering Gynecology and obstetrics as my special field,my main goal (for now) is aesthetics and cosmetic surgery but its a long term goal,who knows what could happen in the first 6 years.

One thing im really worried about is language barrier.i heard in a lot of places that learning magýar (did i write it down right?) Is a must.thats crazy!!!!!!
Is it true german is a well spoken language there?i don't mind learning german but hungarian is just too hard i rather learn german(no offence to dear hungarians).what im trying to say is that you can use german in some other countries too but hungarian is just exclusive to the country.

Amerhash28 wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Oh I'm not considering Gynecology and obstetrics as my special field,my main goal (for now) is aesthetics and cosmetic surgery but its a long term goal,who knows what could happen in the first 6 years.

One thing im really worried about is language barrier.i heard in a lot of places that learning magýar (did i write it down right?) Is a must.thats crazy!!!!!!
Is it true german is a well spoken language there?i don't mind learning german but hungarian is just too hard i rather learn german(no offence to dear hungarians).what im trying to say is that you can use german in some other countries too but hungarian is just exclusive to the country.

Of course you'll have to deliver some babies.  They aren't going to let you out of medical school without knowing how to do that.  They'll rotate you through maternity, geriatrics and all the rest of it.  You might end up changing your specialism when you get going.

And yes, you need Hungarian as it's Hungary and all the patients for medical students to practice on are Hungarians.  You need to be able to interact with them.  But they'll give you lessons so you can complete your studies.  If you'll be here for 6 years, it seems appropriate to do that anyway.

German is a lot easier but it's not the national language. It's minority language but you cannot use it to interact with the state. That's even if quite a few people here can speak German and make a bit of a thing out of the German roots.  But in any case,  there's no reason why you cannot learn both.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Of course you'll have to deliver some babies.  They aren't going to let you out of medical school without knowing how to do that.  They'll rotate you through maternity, geriatrics and all the rest of it.  You might end up changing your specialism when you get going.

And yes, you need Hungarian as it's Hungary and all the patients for medical students to practice on are Hungarians.  You need to be able to interact with them.  But they'll give you lessons so you can complete your studies.  If you'll be here for 6 years, it seems appropriate to do that anyway.

German is a lot easier but it's not the national language. It's minority language but you cannot use it to interact with the state. That's even if quite a few people here can speak German and make a bit of a thing out of the German roots.  But in any case,  there's no reason why you cannot learn both.

I'm not sure if they will trust students with people's babies,after all we're not even interns yet but if they will,I don't mind that at all.
I think after two years of studying and examining dead corpses you wouldn't mind anything as long as its alive.

As for the language,i was hoping to dodge that bullit.yes 6 years is plenty of time to learn a language or two but i was thinking maybe take a spanish or french course but as you said learning the local language is a must.
Did you manage to learn the language?  How long did it take you?how many hours a week?

Amerhash28 wrote:

.....I'm not sure if they will trust students with people's babies,after all we're not even interns yet but if they will,I don't mind that at all.
I think after two years of studying and examining dead corpses you wouldn't mind anything as long as its alive.

As for the language,i was hoping to dodge that bullit.yes 6 years is plenty of time to learn a language or two but i was thinking maybe take a spanish or french course but as you said learning the local language is a must.
Did you manage to learn the language?  How long did it take you?how many hours a week?

Obviously you won't be unsupervised, babies or otherwise.

You won't be able to avoid the language because all the locals are your test subjects but you might find one or two who can speak English.  Hungary has a long history of foreign students and you'd be surprised how many people can speak Hungarian and in odd places too.  I was in Syria (before the war) on a job and I had cause to visit the university in Latakia (near the coast) and there met a professor who took great delight in telling me of his undergrad days in Budapest throwing in the odd Hungarian phrase.   

My Hungarian is rubbish and despite being here most of the past 23 years with Mrs Fluffy and the Fluffyettes,  I have never fully grasped it.  On the other hand my German isn't so bad and my English is of course totally perfect.