Public transportation in Budapest

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Budapest ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Budapest?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I love it.  I can go anywhere without a car, something comes at least every 10 minutes, and I don't know if costs are good, but with a student pass, it's just fine!  I would definitely be lost without google maps though - too many numbers and routes to remember!  I'm new though, so maybe I just need time to learn the system

I also think that the transportation here is fantastic!!  I am from LA where it's really not so great and having a car is a MUST.  But here it is so easy!

They have the Metro, which can get you across town in 15 minutes, the bus (busz), the Hev, and the tram (villamos).  It is extensive and, I think, easy to learn. My favorite is the metro and I think it's the fastest.

The times are very frequent and I travel it alone at different times and feel that it is very safe. There is a lot of graffity in Budapest, but not much crime (mostly petty theft) and I have only been asked for money like two times from beggars during the whole winter last year.

The tickets are relatively cheap - to me.  But I know for Hungarians, a monthly pass is a bit expensive.  It is around $40 for unlimited use of all the public transportation in Budapest monthly.  You can also get tickets that pay per stop if you are going a certain distance and will be here for a limited time.

Its 320 forints, I think, for 3 stops which is like $1.70.  I think it's super cheap.

Students get almost half off, as do seniors, I think.

But comparing it to how much more expensive gas is here than the states, I think it's really cheap! 

It's hit or miss if you get a really helpful person selling the tickets, but I have found that the bus drivers are used to being asked questions and most are really helpful regarding whether or not that route will take you where you want to go.

I particularily like the Metro, especially in the winter as it tends to stay a bit warm and makes traveling quite comfortable. 

This is just my experience, I hope it answered your questions!!

EDIT: Making this rant useful
Most of the time it is worth buying a day- (3day-, week-, month-) pass instead of using a ticket every time you change vehicles.

ORIGINAL:

For most people making around $500 a month (minimum wage is $350) the $50 a month just to get around town is a serious dent in the budget.

The single ticket gets you anywhere with the subway which is fair.
But you need a new one every time you change between buses and trams which are not well organized and force you to change a couple of times anywhere you go outside the inner city.

From point A to point B it's usually 1-2 tickets to get to the subway, 1 ticket to get across town with the subway, 1-2 more tickets to get where you want to.

Oh, and you can only buy the day pass in major locations, when you are already half way!

So it's monthly pass or bust.

Hello octobop and metrobuda

Thank you very much for your help which is much appreciated.
That will help a lot of future expatriates ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand!
Me too I can say that in Budapest it is very good to travel with HÉV , metro or tram it is save, only when are full very full then you have to watch to your pocket.A ticket is 320 if you buy it on vehicle then is 400 HUF. But you can buy 10 ticket then is less price 2800 HUF. There are weekly ticket for 4600 HUF or 72 hours ticket for 3850 HUf or dayly ticket for 1550 HUF
Me I buy for 1 month this is 9800 HUF.You can use for all .My mother is old she travels for free :=)
Best regards
Ildikó

Thanks for your contribution Ildikó :)

Armand

I agree with everyone - public transport is GREAT in this city.  If you're living here, buy a month pass (9800 HUF) and it's totally worth it.  Hop on and off trams, busses, and the HEV (commuter train) with your pass.  Easy and reliable and totally safe.  I use trams and buses all over to get to work, shopping, drinks, everywhere!

Hungary public transport website - has an English option: http://www.bkv.hu/

Hi,

I think the same, the public transportation in BP is very good, and the connection with the airport is very good, you need to go with just one bus which is coming every 20 min and the cost for it is the same like in the city (320 HUF).

What I think that needs to be changed is in the metro is the announcement to be made as well in English. I already saw similar in different capitals in Europe and I think that I helpful for foreigners.

Coca

Thanks a lot to you all :thanks: