French guy freshly arrived in Phuket

Hi,

i've just arrived in Phuket and i'm looking to meet new people and maybe a job, which would be the best way to keep me busy =)

If anyone has any advices, i'm ready for it !

Thanks

Hi and welcome to Expat.com MehdiFr :)

So how is Phuket? :)
In what field are you searching? Maybe you could have a look at the jobs section of Phuket classifieds. I would suggest to post an advert there ;)
Otherwise I hope you will get responses and eventually meet other members ;)

Regards
Armand

Thank you ! =)

How is Phuket ?? what a question ! =) well, it's just amazing, not as wild as i thought, but definitely beautiful !

I'm looking for a job in a restaurant and i've just post an advert. Thanks for the tip !

I've found this website at random and i'm not complaining about it, it seems that it could be really helpful. Congratulations for your job.

Wish you a nice day.

Regards,

Mehdi

OM 2 PSG 1 ... hehe

just kidding.

To meet people, it mostly depend of what kind of people you want to meet. Bars are mostly full of former SAS, Special Forces, or Foreign Legion; in more to be delusionals those people are standing alcoholics ... I do not think that is the kind of people you are looking presently to meet.

To say, while in our country bars are a social gathering place, here they are very differents (maybe more akin to the infamous 'troquet du coin' avec Polo and Narnard staying 24/7 at the corner of the counter.

the best way to land a decent job is to go yourself with your documentation (resume + diploma + former employers letters) to each and every restaurant that may (or may not) be interrested in hiring you. Be aware you must have a work permit BEFORE to start work, and to have that document you must :

a) have a non -B visa that is obtain only if you are sponsorised by an existing company, said company having the required amount of thai staff.

b) you must proove you have skills and knowledge that no thais people have, or only a very little amount of them may have.

c) there is a minimum salary amount , based on wich country you are coming from (I believe it 50 000 bht/month for us french, but I may be wrong); so do not hope to land a job by discounting your salary (it would be illegal, and in all case it would lead at one moment or another to problems).

d) the hight season is finish, so you may have contact for next year.

e) if you did an 'Ecole Hoteliere' as in Strasbourg or Cannes La Bocca; it would be better to contact 'L'amicale des anciens etudiants' and ask them if they have address of former students who do work currently in Phuket, and then go and speak with those former students.

f) you must go yourself to the restaurants (alrady say that but it is important to do so). People do tend to not answer emails, and there are so many people looking for job that a restaurant owner would not havethe time to answer all emails.

g) be different in both behavior and aspect. Behave as you would behave in France, dress as you would dress in France. Do NOT (repeat do NOT) go to an interview with flip flop, short pant and diry t shirt. Dress correctly, cleanly, be polite (even humble) but do not be a limp. You are asking for job because you havethe skills, you are not begging for a plate a light soup.

h) do not despair, it will take time (it always do), but by experience if you are a good professional you will find a good job in a good firm (it took time for me, but I did find one; so why not you?).

A bientot

Eric

Bonjour Medhi,

j'ai une proposition intéressante de dévelopement pour la Thailande, êtes vous toujours à la recherche d'une activité??

d'avance mercii

bien à vous

Ludovic Gillias

Good morning Ludovic,

Please post in English in the English speaking forum to allow other members to understand your message.

Thanks

hi Medhi,

can you give us your first impressions about your first couple of months in Thailand...??

many thanks in advance...

kind regards

Ludovic