Negative typist or speakers

I have read tons of comments on this forum and have noticed some very negative thoughts from people that say "They love Costa Rica" but still give negative advice...
If you don't want others to come to Costa Rica, if your so negative about it then why are you still there's?
I really want to know as much I can about CR that I can't find out about In books, so I found this site and started asking questions most give the good AND bad stuff, but there are others who only want us wouldbe new comers to not bother to even come down and look at this beautiful country or so it seems.
Why is it so bad? Can't you leave or move? A airline ticket is cheaper then most.
We will be coming and probably moving there, so all the answers are welcome even the bad 1's!
It is cheaper to live and retire there in CR then it is in the USA
So thanks for ALL comments regarding this country.
Nice people,beautiful land, cheaper costs of living ect...

Hi GinnyP,

I agree and I'll tell you something that maybe nobody is talking about.

Letting go of material and habits is not easy at the beginning but it's all about how you see life.  Here it's more about people. If you come down here and expect having the same superficial life, you will not make it.  It's very expensive to live for material here.   Some people, after a while, just remember the good things about their country and forgot why they left in the first place.  Some even go back and find out they were way better here but it's too late.  It happened to a friend of mine and she was stuck in Switzerland for 8 years but she's moving back here at the end of this month.  She says she cannot believe what she did.

If you're about shopping, buying the same food your are buying in your country, having the same standards, you will not love Costa Rica.  If you have an open mind, like people, if simple things in life make you happy...you'll love Costa Rica.

I will say it again, it's all about how you choose life...being happy or complaining all the time.

I hope this is helping you.  Gini

Thanks Gini
I enjoy the little things in life, I'm not a big shopper, so I won't be disappointed in missing stuff that I have here. I will just have to find things in stores that are close, but I'm sure those things will be easy to figure out.
As long as I have good friends and family I will love CR

GinnyP,

Very well said and I would sooooo agree.  😎

- Expat Dave

Well Said Ginny !
I and MANY Others have lived happily here for 26 years COME ON DOWN (sorry I missed your hubby we could not set a time that we were both free :( I hope next time,,,)
Some of the sour and dour posts here are cyber bullies who do not want more "Gringos "OR are living beyond their means (They did not figure in  the expensive A/C at the  "too hot beaches " or their good taste in liquor (Champagne taste and beer money can make for bitter ex pats.  OR bought in wrong areas and cannot sell...)..we love it..Come on down...just be SURE to choose the right location....

Hi no problem about missing him, he's ok. And understands a time line.
We will meet up in a few weeks anyhow, when we all get there.
I can't wait, I'm almost afraid that hubby will have to put me back on flight. Kicking & screaming.. When it's time to go.... haha

Just to clarify - people do have the right to post their opinions on Costa Rica, both positive and negative.  If you have lived here a while you will have seen some of the downsides to life here.  But your opinions should not be one-sided or posted in an angry manner.

If you're an expat, you grew up in a country that was different than here.  It DOES take time to adjust.  Many people fail to assimilate and/or simply accept life here for what it is.

As far as individuals making negative comments.  It's fine to state your opinion and vent some frustrations that you may have about life in Costa Rica; however, if you have nothing but negative things to say,  then you're not really helping others who are considering CR as their future home.  People do need to hear both sides but not if you have only one side to offer.  Once again, just my two cents.   :cool:

- Expat Dave

Most positive opinions are not stated.  We are extremely happy here but very few people are open to posting their positive opinions.  The happy people are not prone to fighting on a forum / Facebook.

Good advice ..yet there re some of us who moved from USA26 years ago and never looked back..in those days the roads were not great as they are  now, in our Heredia area..and some things were hard to find...now we can  buy just about everything.
I cannot think of ONE ITEM which is not available here..Except Roach foggers,,THANK GOD I do not have roaches UGH..but if someone started to import them here, they would be a millionaire overnight..

some places like Central Markets are crawling with them I hate roaches so I shop for veggies in our village at the farmers markets Cheaper fruit and veggies anyway...I do not miss a thing especially the SMOG and crime in Los Angeles..UGH

GinnyP wrote:

I have read tons of comments on this forum and have noticed some very negative thoughts from people that say "They love Costa Rica" but still give negative advice...
If you don't want others to come to Costa Rica, if your so negative about it then why are you still there's?
I really want to know as much I can about CR that I can't find out about In books, so I found this site and started asking questions most give the good AND bad stuff, but there are others who only want us wouldbe new comers to not bother to even come down and look at this beautiful country or so it seems.
Why is it so bad? Can't you leave or move? A airline ticket is cheaper then most.
We will be coming and probably moving there, so all the answers are welcome even the bad 1's!
It is cheaper to live and retire there in CR then it is in the USA
So thanks for ALL comments regarding this country.
Nice people,beautiful land, cheaper costs of living ect...

I think there are people who moved here expecting it to be better than they consider it to be. And after moving here they "can't" really move back, or can't afford to move back, so they get in a bad mood and are very negative about Costa Rica. Many moved here on a fixed Social Security income and thought it would be great, then they find out it's not as great as they hoped, but can't really afford to live in the USA on their fixed income.

Also, there are people like myself who would never want to move back to the U.S., and do like it here most of the time, but sometimes things Ticos do or the way things are here upset me so I *** about that. I try not to do that HERE much but in my daily life, yes, sometimes things here are not the way I wish they were.

That said, I felt the same way about where I lived in the USA! There were things there I didn't like, too and that I felt the need to vent about at times. But like I said, I have no desire to move back to the USA. I *might* if I had a whole lotta money to buy a house in my ideal spot and live a life of ease there... But I don't, so given my situation I'd rather live here. When I lived there I never had a lot of money so there were always compromises to make...

I think to some degree it boils down to "it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease". If something bothers you, you are more likely to say something about it. When things go well, you are less likely to say anything at all...