How to buy property in Greece and do you think its a good choice?

Hi,

since the Greek government released a policy that those who invests a minimum 250.000€ in properties can get a golden visa, then I would like to  buy property in Greece to get the visa, but how can I open a bank account there to receive money for transaction and maybe further use in living?

days before I contacted the HSBC Greece, and they replied its prohibited now to open new account  in general according to Government Gazette 84A/18.07.2015, however, accounts may be opened for specific cases and purposes post review and approval procedures. I'm not sure what does it mean.Then  I searched the "Government Gazette 84A/18.07.2015", which shows a lot of limitations of cash flow, feel a little bit worry about that. Is there any one here bought property in Greece? can you give me some advises? thanks in advance.

question:
- Is it a good choice to obtain a golden visa through buying properties in Greece?
- Is it safe to invest in Greece now?
- How and which bank do you think the best choice to open an account for money transferring?
- Where do you think a good choice to buy property? I will move and live there, single one, prefer a safe, quiet, and convenient place with nice view.

too much questions :) thanks.

Hello,I will try to answer your questions.It is a very good idea to obtain a "Golden Visa",it has been upgraded so as to allow the holder to bring very close relatives,you get citizenship after five years so do the relatives I believe, if you continue to own the property,but you will see the rules on line.This great chance requires you to also have great patience and nerves of steel because there is a lot of paper-work and running around to various government offices,however these things must be done to achieve your end goal,dont give up half way.many people from China,Turkey,Russia have done it.In Spain you have to spend 500.000 on property or business and Portugal I think.It is safe as long as you have the property checked for its legality very well,its ownership,be careful because some property agents will get you to buy a cheaper property than 250.000 and say on the papers it is 250.000,ways around it,dont do anything dodgy with them.My experience with banks leads me to prefer Pireas bank,I hold two accounts there,nothing much in them but it allows me to drawer each month the allowed limit from each account,so the more accounts you have you can double your withdrawal.Pireas very helpful,not like Alpha bank,dont like them,stiff,old mind-set.You will have to get a tax number first,when you have that you will go to the bank.The KEP office nearest you will give you advice as well,they are very helpful and issue papers,are you registered as a resident here?Where to buy is a mine-field and only you know what you want and where,I personally wouldnt want to be in Athens because of the intense pollution but some people love cities and dont care,Greece is so full of beautiful places to live,take your time to travel about a bit and see where you like.I loved right down on the Pelopenese on the end peninsula,it was like the Carabean,sorry spelling.Go travelling.But do remember that should you choose an island you risk your health, safety because this government has completely starved the islands of health care,they barely have an ambulance for the whole island so mainland may be best.You will be able to open an account with a bank if you explain your intentions but seek advise from the KEP office Good luck and dont forget that its all worth it in the end.Ask any further questions you might have.

Just to say as well that you should speak with the Chinese consulate here in Athens,embassy etc..they will be able to advise you on this matter.

HI, Concertina

Thanks so...much for your kindly and detailed reply, which really gave me much more confidence to do it, especially knowing that "its all worth in the end", will keep that in mind:)
I'll try to acquire more info about the Pireas bank, thanks again.
all the best

teresa

You can open a bank account and if money is from abroad you can use it for buying a house. I have a few Chinese friends who bought already and they are over the moon. Greece is not only the cheapest for accessing Schengen it is the most beutiful country also! :)

Some property in Greece can be very cheap such as on the islands. I know an Italian woman who bought a house in Santorini for 20,000 euros a couple years ago. These are small houses in small villages, but an absolute bargain if you can find them.