To move or not?

Hello,

We started planning a move to PR last year.  We wanted to move in July of 2018 (or sooner).  It would be myself (who would need to get a job I have my BA in management) My husband who receives SSDI, My daughter who would be 18(she also needs a job or is interested in joining the PR national guard) and my mother in law(who also receives SSI).  My husband and mother in law are PR she was born and raised in Ponce.  She goes back and forth for a month at a time every year to friends homes.  She wants to move back and live out her life in PR and my husband is done with the cold.  Our issue is everything that is going on right now between the economy, politics, crime, healthcare and dropping job stats.  We know we would have money to survive but, is the situation going to get worse or is it at its worst right now?  My husband does not want to buy a home and the island slump worse and then we have to leave.  I just want some upfront truth to the matter.  If someone were in our position would you make the move?

Welcome to the forum issacruz,

You should rent for a year before you decide to buy. Given the economic situation the government will be layoff people, cutting hours and trying to perform with less people. Services will be cut or degrated.

This affects the private businesses since public workers with no money will spend little and more will move to the mainland affecting private businesses since there are then less customers.

July 1st is the trigger date, that is when the new budget comes into effect and when the first shoe will drop.

When people leave the island that leaves room for the ones staying to get their job, but private industry will end up cutting jobs as times goes by.
You may get lucky and find a job right away, but then again, you may not. Sorry my cristal ball is all scratched up.

Me thinks your crystal ball isn't to dusty Rey.
Sounds pretty straight up to me.

Big question is could you survive, if need be, on the income you bring?
If not, then you need to think about just how much more you require.

If you're looking to re-locate and make your same salary (no matter where you re-locate), I'd re-think that.. Well, unless you have an offer in place (and that's something you should be working on right now).

These are the same questions I've asked myself and I'm certain many others have as well.

Is it a good move?
Well that depends on your answers, your situation, what you require.

My 2 cents worth, only valued as..

I agree with Rey, try it out for a year. If you have a business, Retirement fund or a online job you're set but if you're thinking on moving to PR to start the job hunt my suggestion will be don't move. My wife have a bachelor and speaks perfect English, local and no job. She's my Marketing advisor.

Puerto Rico due to the economic issues is a great time to purchase Real Estate with great Return Rate,  if you're into investing. Compared to the states you could find that the rent here is cheaper but everything else is more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love PR but when friends come down and visit I have to tell them what they don't want to hear.

I will agree with all the suggestions, I will not had moved to the island if I didn't have a job remotely. Been local, I don't see the cost of living as expensive as in the mainland. Maybe because we shop locally and take advantage of the flea markets and local vendors around us. The way we see it, if our family can survive with less, so do we.

Come explore, try to live like the locals do for a few months, then you can decide if island life is for you. It's not the same to come here on vacations without having to deal with the daily stuff of living in the place.

I agree with you. I quote adlin20: "The way we see it, if our family can survive with less, so do we"

Issacruz, I have alot of friends that Relocate here or volunteer and what they do is set up a budget & live a simple life nothing luxury. Economically speaken some are struggling economically but enjoy the low pace and the relaxing ocean views. What ever you decide try it out first then decide for sure. If you can adjust to the culture and ambience due to the circumstances then what i could say is "Welcome home".

Thanks everyone.  I am going to rent for sure till we decide.  My daughter may not come with us she may be going to the AF.  I know financial wise we would be good but, I need to work and was going to target the hotels.  My next question would be what areas does anyone recommend?  We have friends in Mayaguez, Juncos, San Sebastian, and Ponce.  I would like to be at least 35 min from San Juan Farjado or Ponce.

issacruz wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I am going to rent for sure till we decide.  My daughter may not come with us she may be going to the AF.  I know financial wise we would be good but, I need to work and was going to target the hotels.  My next question would be what areas does anyone recommend?  We have friends in Mayaguez, Juncos, San Sebastian, and Ponce.  I would like to be at least 35 min from San Juan Farjado or Ponce.

Dorado is about 15-30 min away without traffic.
Check indeed.com. Dorado Beach East in Dorado is hiring and mayor hotels in San Juan if your looking into hospitality jobs.

Thanks.  I figure I will start filling out applications about a month before we move.  I have also found jobs at Fort Buchanan

I am not sure if SSDI is available in PR, check before you come!!!!
Regular Social Security payments yes, but not sure disability payments are available.

Seems I was mistaken, it is the Supplemental Security income that is not payed in PR.

Okay and I think I worded it wrong my mother-in-law gets retirement social security and my husband is disabled

Either way I was wrong, the only one that someone (not you) could loose is Supplemental Security income which you do not seem to get any way.

one of my neighbors' mothers had disability pay, and she received it to her bank in the mainland. She'd fly there every 3 months to see her Dr. because she said the amount would be only $600 if she were here full time; which she is, hey; that's fraud, right? I'm reporting her!

Sounds like fraud

I have not heard of them cutting what you would get.  I'll have to look into that.