Considering moving to Namibia - can someone provide information?

Hello All!
Would appreciate some feedback please.
Considering moving to Windhoek,Namibia (my husband is stationed there) does someone already live there that can give me information as far as how it differes from the USA?

School
Jobs

I've done some research on the internet, but has been furstratingly slow and difficult, doesn't seem to be much information out there.

Thank you for your help!

Welcome on the forum rochelle75 ;)

I hope that other forumers will contribute to your discussion soon.

Regards

Is there anyone outhere who can help me?

Welcome on board mano10622 ;)

Hi Rochelle,
I;m A Namibian, living here now, been a trotter, but lovev coming home all the time.
Namibia is a safe, clean and comfortable place to live.
The economy is stable, life-style good, nothing excessive and yes, at time a bit boring, considering one must fly to Cape Town for a decent musical, good break-away "city style" etc.
However - I wouldn't trade our good ways of life for any other African country on the continent.
I am however on my way out to Mauritius, so for the new couple of years, I am Mauritian - but our homes, farmland and main usiness carries on, and I'll come home again one day without a doubt!
Easy ExPat living I promise!

Regards!

Hi Rochelle,

By this time you are most probably here in Namibia already and just starting to love it...

Considering moving to Windhoek - you shall hate it at first because in USA everything is available and offers plenty of variety. Everything here is mostly imported and variety is limited, but you shall find most things available.

Then one day when you leave you would cry your eyes out, because this place is paradise and it grows on you.

There are a few differences, sidewalks are pavements and Intersections are referred to as 'robots", round-a-bouts are called "circles", Freeways are called "high-ways" etc, but most people are friendly and welcoming.

There are plenty of travelling opportunities, and this country offers such a variety of African experiences for good value moneywise. There is a very different food culture and meat is very inexpensive. The Namibians party like the Irish!

Namibia (my husband is stationed there) does someone already live there that can give me information ....yes, I have lived here as an expat for the past 9 years and it is a safe place to join your husband with your children....

...as far as how it differs from the USA? It is like living in a smaller country / rural place even if you are in Windhoek. You shall after about 6 months be able to go to a mall or restaurant or event and bump into various people that you met 'somewhere' before.

School - not knowing how old your kids are - there are various choices. International school and British systems. With lots and lots of after school activities such as art classes, music, gymnastics, tennis, soccer, horse riding etc. Places in schools are limited and most people pay a once off 'registration or admin fee'. Most schools are Christian based.

Jobs - if you work at the American Embassy - no problem, but unless you are investing - best to obtain a work permit first.

You are welcome to pursue a "hobby" even one that earns you money such as pottery, card making, kid's parties, catering from home, web site building, designing, writing, baking, etc. But if you become too "big" or well off - locals start looking into things like if you are tax registered, and if your 'papers' such as a work permit is in place, etc. So as long as you are not renting an office or as they see it here, deliberately taking a Namibian's job - you should be ok.

Hope this helps a bit...

Thank you for the information you provided.
We haven't made it down to Namibia as of yet, our son graduates from high school at the end of May.
If all goes well, we'll be leaving before summers end.

Hello there Rochelle ! our friend above missed  couple of points. Not only this is a small country but also the population is very few around 2.1 million and people around here are very kind particularly to foreigners. the main touristic attractions are the Kalahari Desert, swakopmund beach, Avis dam and the parliament garden. another way  it differs from The US is that it is a very quiet country. and last but definitely not the least i hope you have the greatest experience in this country. if you need anything just say the words.

Hericles,

Thanks for the post.
That's what I've heard, that Namibia is a wonderful country.

I am making plans of Moving to Namibia, can anyone Provide me with any Information I need to know to keep It going with me. I am a Music Producer and wanna Establish something There.

I also want to move there with my family,not sure how easy it is, as I live in London, England

Hi Nevadabush,

Welcome on board :)

Please note this post here is a bit old and is dated 2011

Feel free to start a new topic with all your questions on the Namibia Forum for better interactions please :)

Thank you

Maximilien