Colour Coding in Manila for Cars

Dear all

Just got a car and am wondering what are the latest rules on colour coding days, timing, what happens if we violate the rules and penalties...as foreigners (am a Singaporean), what caution are we suppose to take.

Been reading the web but they all have different rulings and timings and am confused.

Was thinking of tinting the windows dark (for safety issues), any reccomendation and how much will it cost here?

Any help for the above to share? I am living in Pasig off Ortigas, many thanks in advance!

Owen

The last digit of the license plate will tell you what day you cant drive.I googled so please check on your own.

From 7:00am to 7:00pm, cars whose license plate numbers ends with these digits are not supposed to be on the road.

Plate ending 1 and 2 Monday
Plate ending 3 and 4 Tuesday
Plate ending 5 and 6 Wednesday
Plate ending 7 and 8 Thursday
Plate ending 9 and 0 Friday

Penalty: Confiscation of driver's license, fine of P300.00 to be paid at redemption center.

Also, the police regularly will stop and demand fines, similar to what they do in Malaysia on NS. I am not sure how much the coffee money is. If its police in brown uniforms, they dont take bribes.  So will take you license and make you go to the station.  You will want to convert your SG license to RP.

For tinting, I was quoted p6700 for a small SUV.

I get my car on Sat!  Feel a lot freer!  Anyone up for a roadtrip?

Gluck on driving for us all.
Don

Also on tinting, I am sure there are laws against it, but I have seen cars with blacked out front and forward windows. I can barely see out of light tint at night so not sure how they manage.

Thank Don for the info.

Road trip? Sounds good...to where?:D

Please see link below for a more thorough guide on the color coding scheme.  Some cities like Taguig and Muntinlupa do not have color coding while some have window (grace period) time and others without exceptions.

metromaniladirections.com/2010/03/mmda-number-coding-scheme.html

This is how it works: On Mondays, vehicles with plate numbers ending in 1 and 2 are banned from the streets of Metro Manila between 7am to 10am and between 3pm to 7pm.  (In Makati City, the ban is from 7am to 7pm.)  On Tuesdays, it would be plate numbers ending in 3 and 4 that are banned.  On Wednesdays, 5 and 6.  On Thursdays, 7 and 8.  And on Fridays, 9 and 0.  If you get caught, you will have to pay a fine.

The “catchers” are traffic enforcers of the Metro Manila Development Authority, or MMDAs, as we call them.   If  you get caught by one, he will take your driver's license, and give you a ticket.  To get your license back, you'll have to present the ticket at city hall (or at the place / office indicated at the ticket) and pay a fine of around 350-400 pesos.

Thank heavens I only walk from my residence to work....

i waited today 2 hours for a taxi coz of color coding. had to end up getting a Grabataxi service that costed double of the normal fare.

@ Kuya Manzano > This is an old thread (2011) however, thank you for your contribution. :)

If you want to discuss on other subject, please feel free to create a new discussion on the Manila forum.

Priscilla