How to make friends in Warsaw

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Warsaw :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Warsaw??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I suggest, blend with locals, like me. I can take you to places where expats don't go. I play charades and mafia with my friends, who knows, maybe they'd like to play it in English too :)
my email is: [email protected]

Need some tips people how to meet new friends here in warsaw.
Are there some hangouts /places / were expats go.

sola

I've already mentioned it but why not repeat - check Professionals in Warsaw group on Facebook. Very friendly atmosphere, everybody can join any meeting, you can meet expats and Poles - many interesting people!

Hello! I just made this suggestion in the Prague forum but it applies here as well-- I've found success in meeting locals that I wouldn't ordinarily meet by offering language exchange. By meeting and offering the chance for locals to practice conversation in your mother tongue, you'll find yourself having entertaining and interesting meetings on a regular basis. Then they can introduce you to their friends to share your language and become closer.

And like Perfect Polish mentioned--Professionals in Warsaw is a great Facebook group. They've mastered the mix of interesting online discussion and fun, real-life activities.

Lindsay

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[Moderated]

hello friends new in warsaw. loneliness killing me looking for friends who can speak english or little bit english. Don't know polish :(

Hi, everyone! I would like to find friends in Warsaw.

Hi Mariana.K,

Could give us a brief introduction of yourself maybe?

Hello Mariana,

How are you ? Thanks for reply and yes we are now friends and Could you please tel me are you studying in warsaw or working ..... ? I sent you message have u received that ?

Hi, Christine and deep786! I have two higher educations. I work as a translator.  I came to Warsaw to visit my relatives and to learn Polish.

Thank you Mariana! :)

I wish you get lots of new contact here.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

hi there:)
the best way to make friedns(trust me im experiencing that at every event of mine) is ttending the social events.
Im runnig a group for foreigners who spend their time in Warsaw and We organise different type of events (please find Warsaw Entertain on facebook)
this Monday We have a Christmas Pub Quiz at Briths Bar
if you feel liek joining international team pelse email me:
[email protected]

have a nice time in Warsaw:)
Basia

hi every body,,

my name is Maged -- i am from Egypt,,
my e.mail-- [email protected]
i want to make any active thing in warsaw-

thank you

maged

[Moderated: Please post in Classifieds section]

Get a dog.  Walk it...

[Moderated: No free ad + pls post in Classifieds]

There is truth to the old saying: "If you would read a man's Disposition, see him game; you will then learn more of him in one hour, than in seven years' conversation" - Richard Lindgard (1907)

So the question is what do you want from a social network? If you know that, if you can define that in terms of your personal value, you know the tasks you must do to attract such a network. This is the basis for your own answer.

Some people do not feel the need to have much of a social network. For them, a few strangers to meet occasionally for a drink and small chitchat is enough. Other people want only to surround themselves with people passionate about a specialized activity like a sport or a religion.

Another group of people might want to make a genuine connection with new people they can call friends; a social circle like the one they miss from home, that strengthened over years together. That is very hard to achieve in a new country where a person is the most vulnerable they will ever be. It is very hard to have those kinds of relationships when a posting might only be 3 years' time: a short time in which to make the connections one might miss from home but a long time to be lonely and homesick.

Only to live through it again with the next country and a new posting.... 

Because I am seeking people with whom to share a genuine connection, I decided to create my social circle through a game that would accelerate the time it takes to get acquainted with people, just like in the quote from Richard Lindgard above. Role-playing games put people into roles and throw them into imagined situations where they try to resolve an issue together as part of the game; a process that reveals the attitudes and values that shape a person's behaviour and thinking.

The best part about this is that it is all on neutral ground. You do not have to offer a secret to someone because you are not asking others for their secrets in exchange. You play and you observe. If you like what another person reveals of himself or herself, you can choose to spend more time with that person. If not, you can avoid them and meet new people as they join the group.  (Antisocial people tend not to stay in the group.)

I have learned to stay away from certain topics, especially with strangers: sports, religion and politics. For me, that does not leave much to talk about except maybe the weather and business.

Role-playing games create a neutral forum for discussions and put everyone together on common ground from the start. Unlike games that are competitive in nature, prior playing experience is not necessary because it is a social activity created by everyone in the same room.

I am not saying role-playing games is right for everyone. That depends on what you are seeking from your network of friendship during your stay in a foreign country.

Find activities that you enjoy and start doing them.

ObiettivoLavoro wrote:

Find activities that you enjoy and start doing them.

Hi ObiettivoLavoro,

In the interest of a discussion, from my own criteria of friendship and seeking meaningful friendship in a foreign country to replace after the social network I left behind, I do not agree that simply finding a shared activity with others will bond people as friends with any greater probability than being a co-worker or sharing seat on a bus route.

There has to be something more than a shared activity in the creation of friends is my message. It can be a good starting place as can the English interfaith church or a sports bar. Drinking is an activity but, aside from the television show Cheers, I have never seen bonding happen between strangers at a bar. So bonding needs more than just a shared activity.

What do you think?

Hi thus is Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,

Welcome to the forum  :)
Since this is an old thread and this is your first participation on the forum, I invite you to properly introduce yourself on the following thread: New members of the Poland forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

It will help you link with members.

Cheers  ;)
Niswata