Naturalisation and citizenship in China

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in China? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in China? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Chinese citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

is better look for Hong Kong citizenship , It is more positive in all the world than Chinese passport , and end you are still can go to china without visa all the time just with hk passport

but in fact I never try this before I don't know exactly the process

Interesting question and short reply:
I don't even think applying for a  Chinese citizenship. As I know, China doesn't accept dual citizenship.
Simple as that. ...And imagine, you have to travel to your country of origin and have to go through all the procedure of getting a hard to get...visa to see your family once in a while.... No way!

:)

China does not allow expats to become citizens! There is NO naturalization allowed.  There is a process for Permenant Resident Card "green card", but that process is also very difficult.  I have lived in china fir 9 years and will apply this year, but only because I have been married to a Chinese woman fir 5 years.  That is one of the few was permanent residence can be applied for.  But that is still not a guarantee of acquiring a green card.  You can go online and find the entire process and the different ways to qualify.  The permanent residence green card allows you to travel in and out of the country without a visa.  It allow you to work in china without a work permit. It allows you to purchase a house in your name and it allows you access to China health insurance plan.
William from USA

unless you going to stay in China for good, why would you want to apply for china citizenship? you can read through the article here :- https://www.thoughtco.com/chinese-citiz … ned-688071

This is really simple. You can never ever take up Chinese citizenship. It is just impossible. There are no requirements. There is no process. It doesn't matter how long you have lived in the country, who you are married to, what skills you have, or anything else. Unless you are born with the entitlement to be Chinese, you can't change anything.

There have been one or two exceptional cases where someone has been given honorary citizenship after a lifetime of dedication to the country and done some astoundingly significant work, but really the chances of that happening to you are less than nil.

Permanent residence permits (actually 10 years) do exist, but they are extremely hard to obtain and of limited benifit. I have heard rumours of things changing in the near future but only rumours and from unreliable sources.

Also note that things are different in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. The above applies to mainland Chinese nationality only.

I am a little surprise that BHAVNA. who brought up this topic, perhaps had no clue
that there is no such thing as " Naturalization of foreigners in China " but yet it was suggested by her as a topic for discussion. its best to study the topics about China well before making any suggestions of selected topics.

No I do not seek to replace my current citizenship.
The police here can arrest you and investigate you for month with out allowing your to be free or work.
Held in a secret location with out rights because they suspect you of something.
I have a coworker currently held under such conditions.
No rights and no communication with his wife and children.
You asked do I want to convert to a Chinese citizenship.  NO, NEVER.

I dare to say... if you are so critical of what you felt the police are doing here. Then, why are you in China ?? Perhaps where you come from is much better.

Hi
To Acquire Citizenship in China is little complicated.The most easiest and quick way is to open a representative office or branch office in China as a Trader and with this method you must have an active business in your country must be not less than last 2 years.there are some formal documentary evidence necessary to support your application.After submitting documents,You will be allowed and offered "Z" class Business working residence visa valid for 2 years.
There are a lot of Agents,Consultants who can help you to process your documents and they would charge you for the RMB 5000 up to RMB 10000 for full set of consultancy.
I may give you some tips by email or you can Google.
Best regards
Zaidy

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum

Its not so easy to get Hong Kong citizenship.I am Hong Kong citizen and nowadays immigration is very much strict unless you really have a lot of Funds to purchase property.