Move to Las Terrenas area

Hi !

Presently living in Delray Beach, Florida.

I'd like to spend some time in the Dominican Republic prior to making a permanent move.

Initial concerns :

1. Rental accommodations near beach

2. Banking-  can I walk into a bank there, or, procedures (paperwork) to be done in Florida?

3. Reliable internet

4.Residency - procedure for obtaining residency  and  passport.

Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the forums. There is.lots of info here already.

There is an entire thread about residency. Go read it.

Banks - to open an account bring a letter of reference from your bank there.

Internet - depends where you live!!!

Rentals - book into a hotel for  a week or two then hit the streets looking. That is the best way to find a place longer term.

Welcome.  All good advice from planner.  I would also not start the residency process (long and costly) until you have made up your mind to move here on a permanent basis. Read the thread on residency as Planner said and remember the process must start in your home country.
What part of the DR are you exploring?  Have you been here before?

Bob K

Never been there, looking forward to going.

Been reading about Las Terrenas area.  Only speak english.  Will I have a hard time ?

Can I get by walking ?  Regarding bank reference from Florida)- anything specific ?

Thanks.

I cannot comment on living in Las Terrenas as I have not been there. I did consider it but finally settled on Sosua. One of the main reasons i dicided on Sosua was because I found I could walk almost anywhere in town. Also if you don't speak Spanish, that won't be a problem in Sosua. The town has a very large Expat community. Don't use that as a reason not to learn because you should try.

Las Terrenas is a beautiful area.  You will find Spanish is the first language, French second and English third.  But learning Spanish will come quickly.
Depending on where you are walking will be fine if not then use a guagua or moto to get around.
As to the bank letter it should just indicate how long you have been at the bank and that you are in good standing with payment of all loans in a timely fashion.  No need to mention how much money you have at the bank

Bob K

Yup. What Bob said about the bank is perfect.

Las terrenas and the Samana area does not have all the services some other areas have

Choosing an area to live is about what you need in a lifestyle and future considerations. For me its a bit too laid back and removed from the rest of the country. Limited work, shopping and medical options foesnt work for me BUT it works for many!!!

Identify the.lifestyle you are looking for then come down and test drive it!  Visit lotsnof other areas too!!!

I am planning to open a US bank account when I get there. Would you recommend my having a reference letter from my banks here?

Mandatory!!!

Definitely bring a Letter of Reference from your bank.  Account length, good standing, paid loans timely (mortgage, etc.)

Minimum to open is $500.00 (U.S.).  Suggest cash- check will take months in system.

I don"t think there are U.S. branches in Las Terranas - plenty of European  branches.

If going for residency -  whole lot more hoops.

Lots of info on this forum- I use it as a start point and/or confirmation.

Hope this helps.

Hello mountainmama52 and sebastian58,

There are several banks in Las Terrenas. Among them are the following:

Banco Popular
BanReservas
Banco de Progreso
Banco BHD/Leon
among others,

Please note that there may not be an English speaking bank agent at all time at any given branch. You may need to bring someone to interpret for you. It takes about one hour to open a bank account plus waiting time.

BanReservas requires a lower minimum to open a US dollar account: US$300.00.

Before opening an account with any bank please ascertain what their banking fees are to keep the account open and to make withdrawals. Some limit the amount of withdrawals per months and others charge you for withdrawing funds before a certain time.

Interesting point. Try to understand all limitations and charges!!!!

They get you coming and going here.

Some charge a flat fee for receiving wite transfers. Others its based on amount. Monthly fees, wd fees, atm fees it goes on and on.

Then the magic "special fees" start!!!! Check em all.

Thank you everyone for your input. I have already got the letters, Abreuimmigration, you mention BanReservas needing a minimum of $300 to open an account, are you required to leave that amount in the bank?
I had not followed the the topic on banks so will do so now.

Hello mountainmama52,

You are not required to leave that in the account, but If the dollar savings account falls below the minimum then you will encounter a monthly fee. I always encourage my clients to deposit more than the minimum to avoid these fees when we assist them to open bank accounts.