Careful with flooding

Rains continue and you need to watch out.
Selling several vehicles in San Sebastián,also a retainer wall that failed to retain. Check the video. https://www.facebook.com/prinforma/vide … 464989945/

Wow this is scary.  I was just wondering the other day where I might be able to move my vehicle to higher ground if/when flooding or a hurricane occurs.   

Also, what are some of the facebook groups that you and others have mentioned to join to keep up with current news and events in PR?  I live in Fajardo but interested in other groups as well.  I've done a facebook search but I'm guessing many of these are private or secret because I didn't come up with area specific, just mostly cultural.. which I joined.

I joined several groups in Facebook but they are in Spanish. I get some news and a lot of pictures of houses, food, and landscapes photos. Most are about pride to be Puerto Rican or religious.

You may not have time to move your car.  In that video they were stopping somebody from going down to move a car and another to save a pet because it was happening fast, like the piece of the wall that gave out and the big influx of water that resulted from its collapse.

Find a good place to live with a little altitude and away from a river or beach. If your place is at least 200 feet above sea level you are not likely to have issues. My place is 1000 feet above sea level, now I just have to worry about a mud slide with my house leading the slide. :lol:

NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) has an app that alerts of flash flood warnings, in your area... if you're in a area that is not your home, you'll get warnings based on your location too.

Here is an article, check the pictures. A housing complex (Urbanizacion) was constructed in an area that had some underground water flows. As a result, at least one street has slided down the hill and many of the homes backyards are gone and the houses are now partially hanging in the air.
Lots of finger pointing, it been about a year, no solution yet, the houses are not safe to live in but the owners are stuck with having to pay the mortgage and not being able to sell either.
Spanish article but sending you mostly to see the pictures. http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/loca … a-2264561/

I remember something similar happening in Ponce, in a housing developement. I don't remember if ppl where living there yet, but many homes were lost/damaged.

Oh great we are right near the marina actually.   Not sure how many feet, need to check on that.  I was worried about this as a potential problem but was reassured it wouldn't be.

Edit:  According to the My Altitude app we're at 102 ft.

Ponce in October of 1985 a tropical depression came through and dropped 7 inches of rain in a short period. A Tin shack community just above Ponce Centro collapsed in a mudslide taking 275 homes and 150 lives. There is now a museum in Ponce based on this natural disaster.

MimiEv wrote:

Oh great we are right near the marina actually.   Not sure how many feet, need to check on that.  I was worried about this as a potential problem but was reassured it wouldn't be.

Edit:  According to the My Altitude app we're at 102 ft.

Likely ok, I said 200 for a margin of error

Ok and thanks.  I will install that app and come up with a safety plan just in case.  Sounds like flood insurance is hard to come by but I'm looking into that as well.

I think 100 feet also put you out of reach of most tsunamis
Interesting read https://www.usc.edu/dept/tsunamis/carib … index.html