How to bring your car to the Philippines

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to the Philippines, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in the Philippines?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in the Philippines, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in the Philippines?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

High Bhavna ,We moved to Philippines ,3 years ago from Dubai.We had two beautiful cars we wanted to bring over ,but when I compared the hassel  ( of documentation) and believe me its a big hassel ,plus the costs and the import duty,I sobered up quickly and came to the conclusion that its was cheaper to buy a car here,but a word of caution if buying new you will be ok ,but a used car is very tricky cos cannot really ascertain the milage of the car with any certainty,used car salesman enjoy the same reputation in as the rest of the world.
To answer your question yes its possible but do you rally want to go through a nightmare of doing it.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Kishor Gohil

Hi Kishor Gohil,

Thank you for the feedbacks  :)

Indeed,  the cost of transport and customs duties seems high. Just a little question more, do you find spare parts easily or a good mechanic ?

I suppose it must be hard to find spare parts for some brands.

All the best,
Bhavna

I did not ship a car from California/USA.

However, since I have shipped cars from California to two other countries, I wish to respond to this topic nonetheless….

Since the rules/laws keep changing to protect the new car industry here in the PI, it will cost at least 60-70% of the purchase price and or market value to import a new car from the USA. Used cars require more "contacts" and preparation to overcome unofficial donations that could be demanded by customs and can be limited by Visa types.

There are pros and cons for the expat to consider when faced with the decision to ship an American spec'd car.

Pros -
-  US cars are safer.
-  US cars have less polluting gas engines and will typically have advanced systems via computers and special bus data lines (i.e., OBD II CAN BUS, etc). Most US and European Cars have OBD II Can Bus systems (http://www.auterraweb.com/aboutcan.html).
-  Very few diesels are sold in USA.
-  The windows, bodies and bumpers are designed with stronger impact protection structures.
-  No carburetors allowed - must be fuel injection systems.
-  No distributors, points etc., most are DIS systems where spark and timing advance is controlled by ECU/ECM.
-  Advanced brake systems that include ABS, TC and 4-wheel disc.

Cons -
-  Cars will not be understood by local shops and repairs will often be via best guess with hours of wasted time/money.
-  Part sourcing will be a problem for some models & makes.
-  Resale can be more difficult unless the buyers are expats with model specific knowledge.
-  Body parts will not be easy to replace/fit properly with Asian model parts when it comes to nearly all external parts.
-  Cars with diesel engines will also have computer controls that most will not understand locally.
-  Some cars here have the same model/sub-model name but are not compatible engine, trans or ECM/ECU wise, with US versions.

My car is used and was originally imported from Germany as a new GM car; a European specification Opel Omega V6.  The GM/Opel dealers are gone and the current GM dealers here are completely unable to locate any parts because they only index parts under Chevrolet, Cadillac and GMC in newer model years that have the Asian specs.  Parts suppliers are more like Pop shops that are not using computers and web based tools to search for what is needed. 

Since I was aware of the car's GM DNA and the nearly equivalent US GM model, almost 95% of what I need for parts I have ordered from the USA with Germany and England filling the balance.  I have zero issues with proper workmanship since I also perform 90% of the required work on my own.  That does mean that some tools from the USA were shipped along with buying new tools to do selected dealership type work.  The balance of simple work is done with a very watchful eye and clear talks before, during and after a task (like when an oil change is performed by a local).  Of course I provide the Mobile1 oil filter and the required weight oil as they do this simple task.

I do not trust most "mechanics" here and find that 99% are not trained or certified at levels even reaching 10% of those in the USA.  Therefore, as I try to cultivate relationships with individuals that are doing work on cars, a few are good but are so use to taking shortcuts, it is hard to teach proper concepts.   

Although some may say not to ship a car here and just buy a new one, I am for considering buying selected used cars, that have already taken the hits for import fees, taxes and depreciation, which come close to the vehicle the expat is used to in their home country.

Thanks you Calife-Native for this detailed post  :)

***The Philippines doesn't have land borders with other countries, so the best way to bring a car is via submarine, or private jet, hahaha... while local market is full of very cheap cars, just import your Lamborghini, if you have one!!

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : The question is a general topic launched on all forums by the Expat.Com Team
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am thinking of buying a new car here ,any ideas of the best pick up l can buy

@ davidseaman,
If I were to consider a pickup it would be gas and V8.  The road conditions and the often lack of repairs can cause so many alignment and front end wear issues on lighter vehicles with uni-body construction.  Most full size pickup's still have body on frame construction and generally offer a better (i.e., more heavy duty) suspension design. 

If gas/fuel cost is not much of an issue, a GM or Toyota V8 offers reliable and fuel efficient (relative speaking) pickups that will move past their shadows with automatic trans and Aircon in use.  A Ford V8 (4.6L?) will suck gas and be as low as 9 MPG with A/C/auto trans.  The 5.3L-6.2L GM and 4.7L-5.7L Toyota V8's are both awesome candidates.  This US Model info on the Tundra will give you a very good idea of a nice truck but will not be the same as the models offered here in the Philippines: https://www.toyota.com/tundra/

The GM V6 or V8 units (Chevy or GMC) may be easier/less costly to obtain here in the PI than the Toyota V8.  This US Model info on the GM trucks will give you a very good idea of a nice truck that may be very close to the models offered here in the Philippines:  http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-1500-pickup-truck

It is very hard to find any Toyota pickup or SUV (reasonably priced) with more than a 2.7L 4 cyl. Gas engine, where as GM only offers V6 or V8 in full size trucks.

You may want to consider a late model used pickup as a trial (P450K-P900K) and once you are adjusted to the traffic, local driving and road conditions in your area, invest in the P3.5 - 6.0M+ new truck.  Here you can find a listing of late Toyota trucks for sale in the Philippines that may serve as a guide for you:  http://ph.priceprice.com/Toyota-Tundra-9705/

Good luck and as always.. YMMV

Where we live. Cars, and Motorcycles must have an Emision Test, when the annual Registration is Paid.
However!
Many Motorcycle owners can't afford the Petrol to drive to the Testing Center (35Km).
So they don't do it.

I have 2014 chevy Silverado. What are the pros and cons.

I found a 1969 junk mustang gt that i want to bring to philippines, no engine, no transmission only body. Do you have to go to the same procedure as used car?

As a general comment here, expats need to understand some basic Philippine laws and core requirements.  A Focus on qualifications include:

Who is qualified?

1.  Under appendix 1-D of BSP Circular-Letter, "the importation of used vehicles continue to be regulated and would therefore require prior authority from the Bureau of Import Services (BIS), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)."

2.  Per Sec.3 of E.O.156 and Sec.1,Part II of the  Implementing Guidelines, only certain individuals are allowed to import used motor vehicles that meet certain requirements, including the following:

a. Returning Resident - a Filipino citizen who has stayed in a foreign country for at least one (1) year and which residency shall be accumulated within the three (3) year period immediately preceding the date of filing of the application.

b. Immigrant - a person issued any of the following types of visa:
       1.  A Filipino citizen and a holder of 13G Visa under Sec.13, Sub g(13g);
       2.  A foreign national married to a Filipino and a holder of 13A Visa under    Sec.13,Sub a (13a); or
       3.  A Filipino citizen and holder of 47A and 47A2 issued to awardees of Special Government Project/s (SPG).e.g. Philippine Retirement Authority and Balik-Scientist Program.

All of the above assumes and requires that the following 5 points are met with this left-hand drive vehicle ........

1. The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) not exceeding three (3) tons;
2. It is covered by an authority to import (Certificate of Authority to Import) issued under the No-Dollar Importation Program by the Bureau of Import Services (BIS) ;
3. It is personally owned and registered under the name of a returning resident or immigrant at least six (6) months prior to the date of application for permit to import with the BIS ;
4. It is for personal use;
5. It cannot be resold for at least three (3) years.

All of the above MUST be centered on the PRIOR IMPORT AUTHORITY (PIA) you get by processing an application BIS (Bureau of Import Services).  I suggest all expats start with the BIS and get a clear understanding of the process.  The last contact info I have on them was:

Bureau of Import Services
3rd Flr., Welding Industries of the Philippines Building
349 Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue Makati City, Metro Manila
Tel. No. (632)895-7466

Good Luck!

Update on shipping cars (or car parts to the Philippines)!  There is another option to repairing a car already here in the PI if your engine is bad.  The following suggestion will require a bit of knowledge and may take 3-6 months.

I recently purchased a "Half-cut" from a dealer that imported it from Japan.  This is a JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) Toyota V8 RHD car that has been cut in half from about the driver's seat and is shipped here to the Philippines with the RHD components still connected/functional.  In my case I will do an engine/trans swap from the Celsior 4.3L V8 with 5-speed auto half-cut into my Opel Omega.  This 3UZ engine is what is found in the Lexus ls430.

My justifications:

1. The new factory Opel Omega V6 from the UK is $3K + up to $1.5K shipping with unknown customs charges.
2.  The original Opel Omega V6 engines are not reliable and the replacement parts are typically sourced from Germany or the UK.
3.  My car only has about 48K KM and fits my 6'3" body very well.
4.  The Toyota/Lexus 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ w/VVTi are one of the most reliable V8 engine families produced.
5.  I have been swapping engines in my cars since 1968 and enjoy the upgrades in performance and reliability.
6. Used Lexus LS430's here start at about P850K vs. this swap project that is under P200K.
7.  The importer/seller will handle all papers to LTO for engine importation, change and registration.
8.  Here is an example from youtube: JDM Celsior (Lexus LS 430) Running

Of course all of the above assumes both knowledge and resources on hand for merging the drivetrain, AC, power steering, ECM and other systems.  Having 95%+ of what I need here already makes this much easier.

Note: the factory manuals needed are on hand.

By finding the proper JDM half-cut here in the PI, we have another option for repairing our cars when importing the complete car is not an option.

Been a minute, Calif. Thanks for such concise informative suggestions. Got it.
SirDwight

Hi SirDwight,

Good to get a response from you.  I hope your plans are still on track and all is going well.  Take care.

Is it possible to export cars out of Philippines

In response to the question, "Is it possible to export cars out of the Philippines?" That would depend heavily on three things. 1. What country was the car manufactured in? 2. What country would you be exporting the car to? Because each country's import laws are different. 3. What was the year the car was manufactured? Many countries have import laws that prohibit importing cars older than two or three years old. They try to protect their country's auto industry.

The best advice, check with the country you are thinking about shipping the car to.

dont

abioham300 wrote:

Is it possible to export cars out of Philippines

Yes, Match Box, Tonka & Hot Wheels.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.observ … -smugglers

Just don't.

You can also find a list and contact of affordable freights companies for those who wish to export stuff

hope it will help

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … ompany.rar

manwonder wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.observers.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210622-philippines-luxury-cars-destroyed-strong-warning-smugglers

Just don't.

i saw it what a pity because Belgium is rich country and the car from narco dealer, luxury car(ferrari, etc) they resell it.