Living in Dubai

Hi,

We don't speak enough about this destination. What do you think about Dubai? I heard several times (but that's for sure a cliché) that it's a very good place to work but not a good place to live. What do you think about it?

I saw lots of pics from Dubai :)
Made an impression of a lxury city, but dont know the truth.
Would like to get it too :)

I have been to Dubai, and did not like it much. AC's made me sick.

Cheap technological stuff and good for that kind of shopping, but who the hell wants to swim in a sea hotter than a turkish bath?

I know a woman living in Dubai with his husband, a pilot who flies for Emirates airlines. She told me that she has to wear a veil when she's not in the touristic parts of the city, wich is not very pleasant. However, when she's going in more popular places for tourists, she doesn't have to wear a veil.

Although Dubai is somewhat better than other middle east places, there is still religeous control on women.

Zero, that's absolute rubbish. Either the woman is telling lies or she lives in Saudi Arabia not Dubai. No-one has to wear a veil in Dubai. Some women wear one by choice, that's all. All over the city you see women wearing exactly the same as they would wear in the west.

My impression of it, based on a couple of short visits and talking to people who've lived there, is that it is quite a tacky place. It seems as though it is very money orientated and everything in the society is being changed or replaced with the aim of making more money. It is apparently also very expensive compared to other places around the region.

On the other hand, it is supposed to be very modern and has many of the amenities you might find in a Western capital. If that is what you want, perhaps you would enjoy Dubai.

Hi,
Have been living in Dubai for 7 years now, 5 years in Saudi before. Regarding the veil, nobody is forced to use abaya or veil in any part of UAE.  In Riyadh, yes, western women need to also cover, but not with veil, rather a loose scarf.

Dubai can be good for expat living, provided that one works for a reputed international company or a local company with proper set up. There is quite a bit of difficulty if you work for a company with single owner and he turns negative overnigth, for any reason. Have your dots on the i and cross all the T's when writing an agreeement. The oral tradition is still strong to evoke "trust", " friendship", "family", etc... but please be aware, that things can turn very drastically very fast.  I am just going through such horrific experience.  I have a blog on my site, if anyone is interested to read more or see some local unedited pics, feel free.

My father loves Dubai. He goes like once or twice per year there. Since my 10th grade, I asked him to go... well, 8 years later, I'm still waiting :P

I lived in Dubai for 5 years, and LOVED it. Expensive. But had such a great time there.
It is one of the most tolerant and safe cities in the world. Prices are high/very high, but the sky is the limit of what is possible in Dubai.

I can testify there is NO need for ladies to wear a veil nor even to 'cover' up. You would typically sit in a restaurant, served by a Philippino waitress in a mini skirt, while on the next table, a lady sits with a veil and habbaya, and the table next to it, a lady in shorts... The dress code on the beaches are just like any other beach in Europe (except the mono-kini, though!).

Have also a look at my post for a typical story about Dubai http://theroadtothehorizon.blogspot.com … -city.html

rgds,

Peter
http://theroadtothehorizon.blogspot.com

I have been in Dubai for almost 2 years now. This place is similar like any other developing countries, plenty of jobs opportunity, construction everywhere, horrendous traffic etc etc
The cliche is only half true. Yes..it is a great place to work but no, its not a bad place to live. Me, my wife and my boy are having a good time living here. Of course you should never compare between living here and living in your home country.

Hi, I have been living in Dubai for a year now with my husband and two boys. 

I love living here, there is everything at your fingertips.  There are tons of activities.  You don't feel like a fish out of water here.  You here that you should dress conservatively, but I have seen women in barely there tops and bottoms.

It has the feel of living in a highly developed country and it almost feels like you are on one long vacation.  You tend to let your guard down, because there is hardly any crime here. 

My older sun goes to a preschool, his school has such a fun and relaxed atmosphere. 

It's has all the major clothing brands here.  There is construction everywhere, it is quite frustrating.  I am from a tropical climate, but Dubai's heat is unbearable.  Yes, the traffic is also unbearable.

It is pretty far from my home country, so it is tough being away from family.  To keep my family and friends up to date, I decided to blog about it. 

Right now my aim is to travel around and document my excursions, so far it has been fun.

http://my-great-adventures.blogspot.com/

I am a widow aged 58 and am considering a move to Dubai.
I have a TEFL certificate.
I am just needing advice as to whether it would be a good move for me

You cannot retire in Dubai and it is somewhat a young persons place

I lived there when I was 42 and I am now 55 so not sure what it would be like now I now live in Australia and am thinking of relocating to Greece any ideas
\

Avril, you can now retire in Dubai because with the new freehold property laws you can buy a property and with it you get a residence visa. If you do it that way you no longer have to have the sponsorship of an employer - and you're protected from rising rents.

Agree with you Seabee. The new developments in Dubai feature golf course, tennis courts, and lots of recreational facilities. If you don't mind the price, it's not a bad place for the retired

I personally would prefer somewhere like Australia though. People in Dubai have a short-term horizon and are very money-oriented. Good for young folks but not for elderly citizens

how is it for women in dubai?

Chanel, Dubai is a cosmopolitan, modern, international city. Women do what they would do in any western city. You'll have to be more precise in what you want to know - how is what for women?

I may relocate to Dubai by the end of the year. Would like to know where is a good choice for residential area if one were to work at the Jebel ALi FTZ? I am totally dazed by the new development in Dubai :)

Any advice on questions I should ask my employer before I accept a new job over in Dubai?  I was also wondering what is a typical amount your going to spend on cell phones?  Any advice in general, I would appreciate.

You don't actually need to pay much for cell/mobile phones. I have been having a UAE cell/mobile number on international roaming for 2 years now. I need this since I travel around so much .. got tired of changing SIM & giving out new numbers to people so I need a fix post paid number for long term use regardless of where I am. I hardly pay more than US$200 a month.

karenh, Jebel Ali is close to many of the new residential developments and where you live depends on what accommodation you're looking for at what rent. Dubai Marina is probably the best and has plenty of apartments from studio upwards. There are other nearby developments too.

Looking for information 54 year old women would need to know before packing everything up and moving to work in Dubai. 
What is it like for an older women working there
Any Night life?
From what I've read living there is expensive and it's a younger person's town?
any information appreciated

Wendy, whether Dubai is expensive depends where you're from. The biggest expense is accommodation, so that needs to be part of your salary package. The nightlife is similar to, say, western European cities although it's mainly part of hotels as they are the only places allowed to sell alcohol. Plenty of pubs, clubs, disco etc - but as with everywhere else they tend to be for the younger set.There are sports and social clubs, and there are plenty of older people working here, it's not just a young people's city.

Hi Seabee
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of putting a US$30k downpayment and take a 90% loan for an apartment as opposed to paying rent. Is this amount sufficient for a 1200 sq ft apartment at the Dubai Marina? Its a shame that the property market has exploded to an unsustainable level in Dubai vis-a-vis 3-4 years back. While it's good neews for owners, it affect everybody's pocket in the end.

Karenh, if  you can buy it solves the rising rent problem and as far as anyone can predict the future it looks as though the property boom will continue for a long time yet. We have 800 people a day, yes a day, moving to Dubai so demand is still outstripping supply and will do for a long time to come, which means property is a good investment.
The prices vary depending on the building, level of luxury & amenities, floor, view etc etc, as they do anywhere in the world. And whether the building is finished or you're buying off the plan. As a very, very rough guide you can expect to pay around AED1,000 a square foot in Dubai Marina.

Where are the good places to live in Dubai? Something tony but not for the super rich. I'm talking about apartments / houses that will not go above $1M if you buy it outright. Thanks.

melrrdee, US$1 million is AED3.678 million and for that there's plenty available. Foreigners can only buy in designated areas (New Dubai) but that covers a vast area. You could buy in many of the new developments, just check out some of the real estate company websites.

you guys are awesome... i mostly made this account so i could post about how much i appreciate all the insight. i've been researching dubai for a few weeks now and am cramming for information.

but while i'm here, does anyone know what the climate is like for broadcast design, animation or graphic design? do they need my kind over there?

thanks again

- kirkwood

Hi Seabee
Is it still true that purchasers of residential properties in Dubai gets PR automatically?
Karen

Wife , 3 kids and I are currently considering moving to Dubai for a couple of years due to a legit job offer. What can we expect coming from someone who currently resides there. I just keep finding mix stories from all the other posts and sites. Also does anyone living there now have a blog or website we might be able to look at? Also, what are some good informational web sites one might see? Thank you in advance for your help.

Have you seen the Expat.com Dubai page?

Hi Seabee
Is it still true that purchasers of residential properties in Dubai gets PR automatically?
Karen

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of response but I've been on holiday.

karenh, yes, property gives you a residence visa as long as you meet the standard immigration requirements. That doesn't allow you to work though, for that you need an employer and he will arrange a Labour Card.

Kirkwood, yes, there's a big and growing industry here in those areas, and animation is particularly growing and good quality.

As Julien said, we have a UAE Community Blog. I have a blog there (here comes the plug!) called 'Life in Dubai'.

I run my own Human Resource and consultancy Co. Where do i get information on how to set up a company there? Any advise on gorverment agencies i can contact or website i can go to. Would appreciate any information avalable.

I am very keen to work in Dubai in construction management as i do currently in UK.
Does any one on this site work in construction as I would really appreciate any info possible regarding moving to and working in Dubai. My wife is very supportive as she has lived and worked in Hong Kong and wants me to take a contract with her full backing. Thanks

mroland, I guess you could start at the Dubai Chamber of Commerce. www.dcci.ae
If you open a business in one of the free zones you don't need a local partner, so the free zone authorities might also be worth checking out. www.uaefreezones.com is a starting point.
The Dubai Government info portal is at www.dubai.ae/en.portal

gray, there are hundreds of international construction companies operating in Dubai, including from the UK. You could make contact with companies in the UK and ask about openings in Dubai, or contact them here to see if they need someone with your particular skills. Googling will give you names of companies I'm sure.

hi to all! i have planned to visit dubai with my wife early january 2008. i want to find out if i could get say $50-$60 hotel or hostel accommodation. thank you

Hi Joddei.

if i could get say $50-$60 hotel or hostel accommodation

Winter time is peak season in Dubai.. It will be very difficult to find any accommodation within that price range!!

Talking about 'winter being the peak season'.. Eh...
I hope you did not catch the flooding in Dubai a week ago! :shy