Love and a future with a DR man

Here is my original post from the new members forum. I wasn't able to read everyone's comments as they were deleted:

Hello everyone! I'm a Canadian gal in a relationship with a Dominican man. I am seriously considering buying some property in  LA Romana within the next several months. Our plan would be to live in DR for 6 months and Canada for 6 months. He is in the process of opening a clothing boutique in Villa Hermosa which would support us while in the DR. I would resume my work as a nurse for the 6 months we are in Canada. The biggest risk for me is obviously financial; I would have to purchase the boutique and the home and of course give up my full time job to go casual. This is NOT an easy decision for me. As it stands now, I'm planning to visit DR in April, and am in the process of looking for agents/realtors for the urbanization Don Juan II gated community in Villa Hermosa to scope out prices, amenities and the legal process. My boyfriend is already selling merchandise without a storefront and my expectation of him is that he shows me he can manage money, keep track of expenses/profits and do his own research on store fronts to present to me. Anyways, im grateful this site exists and if anyone has some advice I'd be happy to hear from you.

They were probably deleted to shelter you from the truth.

@Bob K

Yes, he has a passport, drivers license and bank account. He does not have a visa ( yet) because the immigration advocate in La Romana told us there is no point applying unless 1) he owns property in DR 2) he has a real job he can go back to 3) he has rhe equivalent of $3000 usd in his account.

Are you missing the red flags that you need to pay attention to. If you go back and read some of the previous posts on this subject you will find that most didn't end well. This is not to say they all failed because I know of a few that didn't.

Its all red flags. Try testing the guy by saying you like long betrothals, like a few years, without you buying anything, or subsidizing him in any way.  99% certain he wont go for that.  He might say he will for awhile only.

Nothing wrong with a long wait and testing the waters. You can just show up and live here for 6 months. Just rent a place. See how things work out. You dont have to invest and do residencia, many overstay a visitors visa and pay the fine at the airport when you leave. No big deal and far less expensive. Rent a house where you are thinking of buying. That lets you test drive the area too.

If you are financing the business - write up the loan. Make it official. You can always make it a gift later!!!

Thanks Planner, that's great advice. I hadn't considered overstaying the visitors visa as a possibility.

All the snow birds here over stay the 30 visitors visa and just pay a small fee when they leave.
Do come for a few months and "try out" the country and the relationship before you jump in

Bob K

Be careful the guy can turn into a CHAPIADOR test him not once but a couple of times, and if so prenup like I did when I married in Puerto Rico

Good plan.

Trust here is earned. That is a lesson i learned the hard way and it applies to everyone!!!

Yep theres a saying i learned from a good friend in PRIMERICA Bob Rustman,
"If you fail to plan, YOU plan to fail"

I'm assuming that the DR laws would uphold a prenup agreement? I've heard this aspect can be dicey...

No, you are gringa, and he local, so laws dont really mean anything. But if you try my experiment you will find out real fast, and it wont cost anything..

My prenuptial were made for my Puerto Rico assests I have, here in DR we'll  divide the land but doubt it cause we've been together 4 yrs and two hv been happily  married

Thanks Colonel. In a way, I have done your experiment for the past 6 months. I broke my wrist and haven't been able to work. I told him I have no money coming in (which of course I do have sick pay). He's been completey fine that. I can honestly say even before that the most I have ever sent was a total of $500. Where I tend to spend is when I am there visiting; buying drinks at the disco, going for food at the beach, buying cigarettes etc. Obviously I get to enjoy these ventures too. I don't think I would be willing to carry on a relationship for "years" as you suggested without moving forward in the relationship, whether with some internationally or here in Canada. Have you done this? What has your experience been?

Aww, Axel. Thats awesome. Happy to hear something positive.

A pre nup can be upheld,  and it can be a bargaining chip.  Definitely have one.  DO  NOT live together completely.  Make sure he has his own place even if it is just a room that is rented.  He needs to keep some stuff there and that will help protect you until you get married. Dont be in a hurry to get married!

Test driving it for 6 months while you are there is NOT a test drive. You need to be here together and then you see what happens.