Need Help with USA Taxes?

I'm a USA CPA who knows alot about ex-pat taxation. Would be happy to provide gratis advice.  John Turner.

jet

Jet1950 wrote:

I'm a USA CPA who knows alot about ex-pat taxation. Would be happy to provide gratis advice.  John Turner.

Are you offering free advice?

Yup. what's up?

No problems.  Since you state that you are willing to give free advice, I am now prepared to come to your defense if moderators insist that you advertise in the classifieds.

I found the standard tax software adequate but I didn't buy or sell a house while there.  Another slightly confusing thing is the requirement to declare foreign bank deposits over $10,000 (FBAR) but fortunately  :/  that was never a problem for us.

You sound like an expert expat.  I get ya on the house. I assume you have gain or loss with the personal residence exclusion since outside the usa.  Good on the software. Turbotax?

Hello,
I am a self employed gym owner who has lived in HCMC since mid 2012..I have only earned money in Vietnam in the last 5 years and  I have not yet reported any USA taxes since I've been here. I have been year over year net negative.  Which service would you recommend I use to file my taxes since 2012 thru current at a low cost.? Very much appreciated for any advice!
Erik

I get you on the no problem with the 10k. IRS is looking to tax foreign passive income.

Thanks for asking.  From you question I can see you are a concerned taxpayer.

Because your gross income is probably over $11k, technically, you have a filing requirement. With losses you have no taxable income, no tax liability. I'll do it for you for free because you are my first foreign-tax "client" (I've got a small accounting firm in NH and work about 1/2 time).

Can't do it until about 15June because I"m in Hoi An until 18May without tax programs, then a bunch of work stateside. I'd need name, ss#, foreign address, estimated gym income and expenses by year, resulting in net loss. Don't worry about inaccuratcies, IRS computer just wants to see the forms.

Snow in NH leave to HA tomorrow,  John