DRIVERS LICENSE

HI all!
I have a California drivers license and want to get one here in Brazil. I am having a hard time finding info on what to do. Any ideas? Thanks

A lot of the information would be based on what State you live in visit your local DETRAN for specifics. The procedure varies by states. From my understanding  you get a translated certified & notarized copy of your drivers license ( make sure it is the one that translates legal documents not the simple notarized copy) Then you take that to the local DETRAN office in your state.  Pay the required fees by GRU and bring all of that to DETRAN they will then schedule you for a psychiatric and medical exam including eye exam. If you pass all of that you take the documentation they give you back to DETRAN they will then issue you a license in their good old time that is valid for one year. After one year if you have no traffic violations you can get the longer term licence. I am not sure how long it is good for I think maybe 5 years. 

ONE VERY  IMPORTANT NOTE: Get your license before the US one expires if you wait till after the expiration you will have to go through the whole process that getting one in Brazil entails.

That process is enroll in a driving school, all must do this the school will apply for your license test. You must then pass the drivers test in Portuguese written and practical ( actual driving in Brazil) If you pass that then you can pay the fees to get your license that is again good for only one year.  ( you pay all kind of fees along the way ) Also you must pass the psychiatric and medical exams mentioned above you pay for all the tests required and fees

The process is more complicated than  needs to be but again this is Brazil and this is the way it is done here.

Your very first stop should  be go to DETRAN and get the details for the State you live in. as they vary by state. The above process I described is for the DETRAN in the state of Amazonas it could be different for other states

Pretty Much what John said

However.....I got my License and it's Valid 10 years . SP state

Also your USA license must have your full name complete no initials.....if it has like RJ Brown
you have to get a letter from your consulate confirming your full name.....I'm not sure how USA
drivers licenses look....

But yeah first go to detraan and they'll give you a list of documents
It's an easy process, the medical is blood pressure and eye test
The psychological is like drawing lines on paper and IQ test type thing with shapes....

HI
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my query. I live in the city of São Paulo. Not sure if you know any thing in particular for this state? I am still learning Portuguese. so not up to speed. Is it true that you must take the written test in only this language and no translators allowed? Or wold that one year permit be given with the understanding that in that time one would learn the language well enough to do a written test. I have come to the conclusion that I must to to Detran to inquire. Thanks again.

HI! Thanks for the reply and additional info. I read someplace about them not accepting abbreviated names or initials. Fortunately I have my full name on my CA license. I don't really speak very much Portuguese. Do you know if they are strict on this to take the test? I saw someplace that they are.

I am in Sao Paulo state, bout an hour from SP capital

Hmmmn

Ok I remember I went there I think I had to fill out a questionaire , like do you have a drinking problem etc, but I'm not sure cos I remember they gave me the wrong form at first thinking I was doing the full test....

the line drawing part you have to follow simple commands like I think she says herta herta , vira
and when she says vira you have to draw a horizontal line....
I remember finally going in a back room and been asked some life questions, do I drink a lot, am I angry, do I have a history of psychological problems type of thing, in Portuguese of course
but pretty chilled

I'm not sure how important speaking Portuguese is for the process
Definately take someone with you and see what they say, I have heard of people helping

But you gotta be able to follow the woman's line drawing commands and draw neat lines ....lol
god knows why....like my lines were to uneven at first and they were all like "oooo" "aahhh" and talking
amongst themselves, then like ok try again

I would say you need intermediate Portuguese to get through the process smoothly

The one year permit thing is a different process to getting a full Brazilian drivers license conversion I think.....it's just like an extension on the normal 6 months, but actually doing the license conversion
it's a 10 year license they issue you as long as your USA one still valid
There is no written test as such, its just IQ test shapes and lines, but no rules of the road or anything
To convert - to do a full license from scratch here of course you have to learn all that

I would suggest focusing a lot of energy into learning Portuguese, especially in the beginning....
How long have you been here?
I've done two years now.....I arrived with a pre intermediate Portuguese and now I'm pretty advanced
but it just makes life so much easier and you get respect. Accent and Pronunciation is everything

On a side note the way some of the drivers drive here it makes you wonder how they were able to get a license at all.  Especially cutting off other drivers, and turning cross lanes ( left hand turn from the right lane etc). I am used to it and this has increased my road awareness. The other thing I've noticed is that motorcycles don't obey any traffic laws and are a hazard when driving here, Especially in Manaus. I wonder if it is the same in other states in Brazil?

HI!
All of that good to know and very helpful. I've been here for only 7 months and been away traveling for almost 2 months of those 7. So more like 5 months. I arrived speaking NO Portuguese (other than what I id on Duolingo). I do speak fluent French and have a good basic level of Spanish, which both have helped. Also, I have been learning some Portuguese. Taking private classes now. I have a Brazilian friend here who lived in the US for many years. So her English is excellent and is willing to help with translating, if allowed. I am mostly motivated to get my DL here as I was told that its illegal if you don't, plus can't drive legally. Again, It seems that a trip to DETRAN is needed to get the low-down. Any other ideas? Thanks

US citizen can drive legally on the usa license for 180 days

After that if you are stopped two things might happen

1. the official just accepts your license and believes you were here less than 6 months

2. The official could ask to see your CIE (RNE) card and therby see the date you became a resident of Brazil

But keep in mind if you were to be involved in an accident with a non valid license and it was investigated it would now be some kind of crime....if someone was injured or killed you could even be looking at Jail time

That said, my wife and I both had to drive without a Valid license for about 2 months
Mine took a while to get finalized because of that initial nonsense.

OHHH! Yikes. That last bit is good to know. Don't want to have problems. Good news it that I think that I might have found a solution.
Thanks again.