Looking for information about living in Amman.

Hello everyone,

I'm considering taking a job in Amman and am trying to do some research before deciding.  My wife and I would be coming from New York City and the questions I have (if anyone can answer) are

1.  Would it be safe?  Not only for myself (a 32 year old white male) but also for my wife (asian) and our daughter?

2.  What is an average cost of living?

3.  Things to do in our free time?

4.  Any other useful or helpful information that any of you might have.

Thank you very much for any information that you might have.

Ashcroft.

Hi ashcroft,

Concerning the cost of living, you may view these two discussions:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=59904https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=53071

Do not hesitate to have a look at other threads on the Amman forum.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will help you with your questions.

All the best,
Christine

If you don't mind me asking, where is your wife from? If she is Asian from China, there are a lot of expat Chinese wives in Amman married to local Palestinian/Jordanians.

Hi,

I think you could probably find a nice friendly community here in Amman.  First of all there is a nice women's club called AWA (American Women of Amman) that could get your wife aquainted with other American women. I'm assuming your wife is American/Chinese.

If you live in West Amman you will find a diverse community with many delightful places to eat and shop.  There are nice shopping malls and several nice parks.

As for safety, as a foreigner myself I have never had one moment of fear for my safety here. I find the Jordanian people to be very congenial and never scary.

There are many private schools that teach mostly in English and have Arabic classes for speakers of English.

Just remember one thing, Amman is expensive! You have to learn what to bring with you from the States and what to buy from here. Some things I buy in the States from the $1 store are outrageously expensive here. I'm patient and wait until another trip home before I purchase such items. It takes some good planning on your part to know how to begin your life here and there are plenty of people that can help with that.

If you're up for the adventure then you'll do fine here.

Best of Luck!

VWBug

Deb,

My wife is orginally from Vietnam but has lived in the U.S for most of her life.

To everyone else: Thanks for the info

you don't need to be worried,it's totally safe and you will have a lot of fun.
£3000 would be alright i guess so.
same as the things you doing in the states.

Jordan is very save I'm from Cal and have two kids they are very happy here, schools are good a bit expensive if you have and questions just ask

[Moderated: please post in classifieds]

Hi I have not been here long, but Amman is okay:) I am actually wondering if anyone can advise on where to go for a Filipino maid,as I have tried to do a search and I don't really find much information for agencies to call in Amman...Also I am trying find places to take my children a boy 5 and girl 7,  I need like sports for the boy and something like dance for the girl but I have yet to
find either. We live in west Amman, so can anyone recommend any places? Thanks in advance for any info.