Looking for a good shipping company.

Hello,

I'm moving to San Juan Puerto Rico in June from Fort Lauderdale. I need recommendations on what shipping company to use. I have checked a few online and the reviews are bad.  I'm moving furniture and a car. Can anybody tell me their experience from their shipping company or if there is one or two you recommend?
Any tips?

Thank you

There are a lot of posts here on that subject. Search the forum using the word "shipping".  Just fyi, in most cases, it isn't worth shipping your car due to shipping costs AND the insane taxes you will incur once it gets here. GL with your move!

Hi Sam618,

Welcome on board  :)

Perhaps you could request a free quote from our moving partner here : Moving to Puerto Rico ?

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you

Who is your Shipping partner?  What is the name of the company?

I used Rosa Del Monte I know they have bad reviews online, but they did a great job by us.

Thank You.

Hi,

I didn't have a good experience moving from the mainland to Puerto Rico, however, when my goods arrived in Puerto Rico Sol Moving Company received them and delivered them to our apartment in San Juan.  They did such a great job we hired them for 2 moves.  Highly, HIGHLY recommend.  They may even be able to coordinate your move from Fort Lauderdale with one of their preferred partners. 

I always talked with Christina, who is fantastic! Christina's email is:     Cristina Velazquez <[email protected]>.

I really can't say enough good things about my experiences with this company!

SOL Moving:

Professional
Organized
Thorough
Flexible
Reliable

Wishing you the best of luck with your Puerto Rican adventure!

sam618 wrote:

Hello,

I'm moving to San Juan Puerto Rico in June from Fort Lauderdale. I need recommendations on what shipping company to use. I have checked a few online and the reviews are bad.  I'm moving furniture and a car. Can anybody tell me their experience from their shipping company or if there is one or two you recommend?
Any tips?

Thank you

Hey Esternke,
You sound like a satisfied customer and may want to make an entry for them in the business section. https://www.expat.com/en/business/centr … erto-rico/
This way your recommendation is preserved after this topic is forgotten.

Hi, Forum Friends,
We plan to move to PR in May -- to rent at first and then to buy a home. Ideally, we would like to pack and store our household items in shipping cubes untl we buy and then notify the shipping company to ship them to our new address. Our belongings are not highly valuable, but we do have some furniture passed down from our parents with sentimental value. However, after receiving estimates from a few shipping companies, we're beginning to wonder whether we should just leave everything behind. That would be emotionally painful, but the estimates are more than the value of our things.

Would any of you be willing to share your moving expenses, savings hints and advice with us? Thank you for any wisdom and insight you can provide.

If you have family in the states, leave it with them or have them ship it later, can not help you in this area.

If you have any sentimental furniture items, think twice before bringing them to PR. The humidity of the tropics can cause some issues.

Hi Nan...  We are also looking for shipping help.  We don't have a move date just yet, but are headed to Vieques in 2 weeks to look at more properties.  What kind of quotes were you getting if you don't mind sharing?  We thought about pods too...but I thought that would be more expensive than sharing a cargo container. 

We did have a friend on Vieques send this bit: "ok so contact Rosa del Monte shipping co.  787-251-6835.  My mom used them when she moved here and so did my friend (3 times actually)."  I haven't contacted them yet...should add that to my list for today!

Thanks for any advice. Diane

Bugs may invade and eat the wood if not one of the ones they dislike.

Thank you. We live in Florida, so it has been exposed to quite a bit of humidity, but that is something to consider since we hope not to use air conditioning as much in PR. Unfortunately, I'm not sure our children have space or appreciation for it. Decisions, decisions . . . 😕

Hi, Diane,
We've managed to down-size from a 4-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom townhome, and we don't intend to take everything from here. The estimates have ranged from approximately $4,500 to $7,000, shipping from Jacksonville, Fla. We live in a small town about 2 hours from Jacksonville, so that probably adds to the cost of having two cubes delivered (for us to pack) and picked up.

If you discover a better way that reduces the price, please let us know. We've even considered renting a U-Haul truck, moving ourselves and delivering to the dock, but we really don't know about the procedures, the paperwork, etc.

Thanks for responding -- and good luck on your move!
Nan

Hi, Rey,
I'm fortunate. My husband was a regional sales manager for a pest control products and fertilizers company in the Southeast for many years. He can take care of the bugs! As I said, the furniture is not of great vaue. It just means something to us. We've let go of a lot of stuff, but it's hard to take this step. We'll get it figured out. 😊 Thanks, Rey.
Nan

yeah...this is going to take some good research!  We are in Maine...and I've wondered how we are going to move 3 dogs and 2 cats!  We will be leaving almost all of our furniture behind so we can rent out our house.  And we are planning on being snowbirds...all the way to Vieques...8 months out of the year.  If we're lucky we will find a property this trip coming up.  I'll stay in touch and let you know what we find locally from people about shipping.  Thom at BravoBoyz is our realtor...I'm sure he has connections. 
Good luck to us both! lol
Diane