Process of moving to Medellin

Hello all,

I am from Minnesota and in the process of moving to Medellin, hopefully sometime in April for a month or two. I'd like to teach there for a couple of months in addition to be taught Spanish.

Suggestions on how much money to bring down there? I have a friend that is moving down there and will be staying there for a couple of months.

Any connections or schools to suggest, would be super helpful! Also transportation, suggestions?

Hi rjt43932,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Medellin forum for more visibility and interaction with the members. :)

Thanks,

Priscilla

rjt43932 wrote:

I am from Minnesota and in the process of moving to Medellin, hopefully sometime in April for a month or two. I'd like to teach there for a couple of months in addition to be taught Spanish.

Suggestions on how much money to bring down there?

Welcome to the Medellin forum, RJ.

Bring up to a week's worth of emergency cash.  No need to convert all of it to pesos, barring an actual emergency.

The ATM's inside banks and shopping malls are typically reliable.  Figure on withdrawing money in pesos each week for spending cash.  Some machines may have a per-withdrawal limit of 600,000 pesos or about $200 US .. with multiple withdrawals sometimes possible in quick succession at some machines.

Some Expats here have figured out how to minimize ATM withdrawal fees by using certain Visa cards or withdrawing at certain banks.  In your case, a two-month stay, I wouldn't obsess over niggly charges.

Have a great trip.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

Transportation....

Medellin taxis are cheap by USA standards .. and you can keep from getting lost during your first weeks in the city by using taxis.

Medellin's sparkling-clean Metro is the only subway-type system in the country.  However, you may have to take a bus to the Metro depending on where your starting point is.  Also, the system is not air-conditioned, which makes things a bit sticky during busy times of the day.

Buses are common and are a sensible choice once you understand the routes .. or if you are taking a common route such as the Golden Mile in Poblado.

Back in the day, hailing a taxi on the street was not considered too safe .. and two males were not permitted on the same motorcycle.

Those dangerous days have thankfully passed, and it's generally quite safe in El Poblado sector these days.  There are lots of police and security guards around along the main avenues.

Oh, you were planning to visit the 'favelas' up in the hills or kick around in El Centro?  In that case, regarding safety, YMMV.

cccmedia in La Zona