Cheapest cities in Colombia

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Colombia. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Colombia where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Colombia by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Colombia?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Colombia?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna

Here is the website I used to pick Armenia as the city I wanted to live in. Of course i visited for a while before my final decision.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

You can also check out the crime rates as well. Hard to beat Armenia when you weigh out all the factors.

Hi CanadaDoug, thank you for the feedback  :)

No regret so far, i hope ?

Regards,
Bhavna

I imagine Tumaco is cheap..LOL

Or Quibdó ..JaJa

Thank you for that link.   Super interesting and useful.

I have spent a few months living in Manizales and I love the city and climate there

I find Armenia a very decent place to live.  Wife and I live at the Barrio Limonar nice place.  The Centro is very busy place to be around.  We have purchase our groceries and utilities at a very low cost.  Love the weather even though it has rain a lot lately weather is great.  We have remodeled our home within our budget and looking great.  I received my spouse visa in Miami and my cedula de estrangeria here in Armenia.  Again Armenia is a great place.

Any of you based in Santa Marta? I am moving there in the fall (I am here now actually).  I am looking for a nice quiet area to live in and any good athletic clubs that may have a lap pool.

Would love to hear more about Santa Marta as well.

hi
good luck with your move Santa Marta
try Prado or Bavaria neighborhoods.
Prado is closer to beach and the historic center...about 5 to 10 minutes walk.
Bavaria is about 30 minutes walk...yet by taxi its minutes away.

Im living in Barbosa about an hour to the  north of Medellin centro and its a nice good sized pueblo with quite a bit of commerce and activity, and quick  easy cheap metro integrated system dash into Medellin........like $1.35 .......fully furnished 3bdrm 3bth house for $235 a month.....No doubt I got lucky but I would like to know if it can be duplicated anywhere in the country......Im partial to Santa Marta and have made many trips thru and around that zone, being more of a tropical ocean person......But for all its charms and international flavor, its just not very funcional......Union Fenosa, who is terrible in Panama and Nicaragua run the elect and they are equally terrible along the Atlantic coast......and the water situation is terrible as well....Im sure it varies with the barrio you live in, but I wonder how much it varies.....And to live in a nice barrio in S.M.  tends to be priced at a premium.....Correct me if Im wrong......I love the place......prove me wrong. Lets compare notes........I checked it out from the city to Minca and around the coast to Palomino in La Guajira.......land is expensive and the infrastructure is substandard........Up here in the valley or anywhere close, things work and work well.........the people are good and have a work ethic.....crime is low......and food is cheap and abundant.......cheaper than Panama with the exception of a few imported specialty items and rum and wine which seem to be a luxury item in Colombia..........Would love to get my hands on some of that quality Venez rum like St. Teresa.......Can probably do that in La Guajira and Santa Marta.........But not in Medellin.......

If you have $USD or comparable currency with great conversion to COP, any city in Colombia is CHEAP for the buck.

Welcome aboard dumluk

You said about Colombia "Correct me if Im wrong......I love the place......prove me wrong." I feel blessed that way too. I rent a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom condo here in southern Armenia with my gf for $135 a month. Like the gas bill for cooking is 3 or 4 bucks a month. Pinch me. And the high speed internet and cablevision is half price of North America.

And the Colombians are great people. I'm surrounded hahahahahahaha

Nice to meet another expat that gets it.