Nosara vs Cobano/Montezuma

Hello!
We are leaving the U.S. and moving our family to Costa Rica in January.  We are having a hard time deciding between Nosara and Montezuma.  We have three children ages 6, 5, and 2 years old.  Does anyone have any experience with Del Mar Academy in Nosara or Futuro Verde in Cobano?  We think we might prefer the laid back vibe of the Montezuma area but we're worried about feeling isolated.  We're not from a big city but we want to explore and travel as much as possible.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
Warm regards,
Heather in Oregon

Hi Heather,

I'm located in Montezuma and my son is 14 and is currently studying at Futuro Verde.  I can tell you that I'm very pleased with the academic curriculum.  The school has applied for the IB program and should be decided in the next few months.

You are right,  Montezuma is laid back.  I can assure you that you will not feel isolated.  We have a great community here.

Anyway, I'm positive you will love Costa Rica.  Gini

Thank you so much Gini!  Your reply gets us so excited!  How long has your son been at the school?  We're having a hard time getting a grasp on the population in the area.  Do you have an idea on the number of people in the Montezuma/Cobano/Santa Teresa area?  Thank you again for the info!!!

Hi Heather, 

My son has been in that school for 6 years and he loves it.  I would say there are around 10000 people in the area and it might go much higher in high season with the regular snow birds for the winter. ;)

I hope it helps you.  Have a good night, Gini

So helpful! Thank you Gini! Have a wonderful night!

Don't forget to check out internet options/speed in either area if you re intending to telecommute.

Thank you!

Hola Heather,

As an x-Oregonian and someone who grew up in the actual 60's, Montezuma is made up primarily of wannabe hippies.  If that is the lifestyle you like, then you would probably enjoy the environment there.

Even if it does feel isolated at first, remember that Costa Rica is only the size of West Virginia.  It's relatively easy to go for a drive and experience other areas.  I say relatively easy because the roads in that area are the worst I've found anywhere in CR.

Also, as Kohlerias mentioned above, and this goes for any area outside of the larger cities, it's important to check on internet availability.  It's not always available.

Hope you have a wonderful experience!

- Expat Dave

I am retired.  For 7 years I rented a house in the Montezuma area during the months of December and January.  Keep in mind that Montezuma is VERY isolated and rural.  In my experience there, Internet was not always reliable (less so than say Guanacaste [Playas del coco, Playa Hermosa]), driving around was always difficult.  In dry season, the roads being all dirt are extremely dusty and over time all that is left are rocks.  So driving faster than 15 mph is not a reality.  Also, access to a major hospital, airport, and other amenities is not easily attainable. On the bright side, it is extremely laid back and natives who live there tend to stay there their whole lives.  So there is a family atmosphere.  Keep in mind, the actual town is 2 blocks and during holidays it is impossible to maneuver a car anywhere near the area.  Also, You will most definitely need a 4x4 to maneuver the terrain in the area.  Prices for food items tend to be high as it is located at the end of the rainbow but restaurants tend to be on the moderate/cheap side.

It is a surfer area so there are a lot of 20somethings in town all of the time.

I like Montezuma and the surrounding area.  However, as an older person it is not an area I would locate to.  But, if you like the laid back lifestyle, decent restaurants, and friendly atmosphere then I would say GO FOR IT.

Thanks so much! Very informative! I think I'm a little too uncomfortable with the remoteness.  Now we're thinking Uvita and we are headed there for two months to explore before we actually make the move.  Thank you!

Hola Heather,

Uvita is a nice "beachy" area - very hot.  If your down for two months, you'll definitely have the time for a lot of exploring and finding your perfect spot.

Best of luck to you and your family!

- Expat Dave

Have you explored 1 hour north of Tamarindo. Playas del coco, playa hermosa, playa Ocotal áreas.

Liberia airport is 25 minutes away as is a modern hospital. The area caters to Expats and the main roads are newly paved. You can travel from there to other areas by car or plane. Several grocery stores and the driest weather in the country. Several 5 star hotels within a short drive and the best golf course in the country. On the negative side, it is not cheap to live there as groceries are expensive and restaurants can be pricier than Montezuma.

It all depends on what you want and how u want to live.

Have fun. Be safe.