Do you speak Japanese?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that mastering the Japanese language is essential for a successful integration in Japan. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Japanese? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Japan?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Japanese?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Yes, of course, speakig Japanese does help you to integrated into Japanese society. Unfortunately, my Japanese is not so good. For example, if I visit the doctor or hospital I need my partner to oome with me and help me talk to the doctor. I get by in daily life, but I don't really get into serious conversations. I would suggest, however, living in a big city like Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto is easier for someone whose Japanese is not so good or is unable to speak Japanese. Cities are more international. I regret my poor Japanese ability, especially as I now live in a rural town.

Yes, it is essential to know Japanese language to have a comfortable survival in Japan. I can speak only basic level. I learnt basic Japanese in my home country India. And continue to learn even now while staying in Osaka. I do self-study about 1 hour everyday.

Since I know basic level, I am able to somehow manage the daily activities. But, yes its a challenge when I  attend a meeting / visit to a doctor.

There are very few Japanese who can communicate in English.

ありがとうございます!

I only intended to spend a month on holiday in Japan so didn't study before.
When I realized I wanted to stay, I spent all of my free time in the library studying furiously. I couldn't handle any of the town hall / medical / stuff easily until I'd been in Japan a year, and couldn't afford to take a course so I worked through vocabulary and grammar books intensively for at least 4 hours every day. After a year, I could speak well enough to get a job in a Japanese firm and then my language improved more naturally but the book study was priceless (and actually priceless) :)

Hi,

I live in Osaka and I do not speak Japanese because I came for a job opportunity, working in Japan was not something that I really planned so I could not learn Japanese before to move here.

I am feeling well integrated, even if I do not speak Japanese, I really enjoy to live here and does not feel alone at all. I have many japanese friends who speaks english and in the daily life I can arrive to communicate with gestures and a translation app. I think that as long as you live in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Okinawa you can easily survive without speaking Japanese because many people speak a bit.

For the doctors like you said, I manage to find english speaker ones (if you go on your embassy website they gave you a list), and for administrative stuff I ask my friends.

After few months in Japan, I can understand a bit the conversations and have a basic level of conversation (supermarkets, restaurants..). I only started to study Japanese recently because I want to learn it since I live here and going stay for at least a year, but it is difficult because I am really busy with my job so I study a bit every morning before to go to the office. Also when I heard often the same word at the office I always ask my coworkers to explain it to me so I started to get some work-vocabulary. I am doing baby step but at least I am trying.

I think that as long as you are open minded and conscious that the Japanese Culture is different from yours, that you are ready to do some efforts to understand Japanese Thinking you will be fine without speaking japanese in a first time.

I lived before in other countries (6 months each time) without speaking the native language because everytime I moved there without really planning it so I never had time to learn the language. So I knew what will be my situation in Japan and how I needed to do to feel integrated even without speaking Japanese. So I really think that it's only depend of yourself and your way of thinking.