Studying in China

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in China?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in China?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

I would recommend studying in China for the cultural experience, but not for the educational experience. That is, unless you were majoring in something such as Chinese language, History, or something else that is directly related to China and can be best studied here.

Chinese students seek to study abroad because they know that Chinese universities are awful. I'm sorry to say, but education in China is a game. There is a problem with grade inflation in the USA, but it is far worse in China. One does not have to attend classes, can fail everything including the final exam and still get an A in the class so that the family can "save face". I speak from experience as a teacher.When students failed my class, they were given an exam by a Chinese teacher and passed, always with at least a C and sometimes an A. A Chinese college teacher will stand in front of the class and read the textbook. That is what most seem to do.

If you want to experience China, do a semester or a summer program, but don't plan on doing more than that. Get your education at home or in some other country.

Maple Leaf Foreign Nationals Schools (Dalian,china) offer a positive and engaging learning environment in an all-English, Canadian education program. Enrolment at these schools is open to all students from pre-school through Grade 9 who hold a non-Chinese passport. The program is accredited by the Ministry of Education from British Columbia, Canada, and all teachers and principals are BC certified educators. MLFN schools offer a diverse environment designed to enrich and support the development of students from international families living in China. [link moderated]

Absolutely not.

I agree with Jamjpa. Local Chinese knows that only top tier China universities value. Fake universities are everywhere. Instead, foreign university is valuable since English is still respected.
You can join a program from your home university which has one semester to study in China. Or, you can study in Hong Kong or Macao where English program is provided and uses many case studies about China industry.

Yes it's quite good to be here and do your study..

You are talking about top tier universities...what are they?

From the QS international Ranking, I see that Tsinghua University, Peking University and Fudan University are ranked among the best 50 universities in the world.

Do you confirm?

Yes I do..

There was a "985 engineering project" in 1998 announcing 39 top tier universities. Then, there was another "211 engineering project" in 2012 to announce 100 second tier universities.

Ask all your Chinese friends about "985, 211". They definitely hear about it.

No no and no

Dear Priscilla,
I have no idea about the schools and universities in China and what the standard of education is. I am soon to find out. I have high hopes and I believe that foreigners just like myself are keen to teach Chinese students because they are very committed to their studies and very respectful towards their teachers.

It is most of the battle won.

Good morning, Priscilla,

I would definitely recommend coming to China to learn the language.  Learning a foreign language in isolation from the culture and daily life of the country only gives the leaner a one-sided approach.  Learning the language at any number of universities in China is an enriching experience, since there would be daily interaction with fellow students, local citizens, restaurant personnel, shop owners, taxi drivers, ticket sellers, and the like.  A student could even find a language partner for language exchange.
Granted one would want to study, say in Beijing or in Shanghai, but there are other universities on the outskirts of these two cities that offer fine courses with highly-qualified teachers, lecturers and professors.

Also it's easier to integrate in smaller cities -- smaller being a relative term in China -- than in huge cities that are oftentimes impersonal.

For a person to study, perhaps it would be an excellent idea to try to obtain a student + intern visa. In this way, the person could have on-the-job raining and improve upon the language during working time.

Since the visa policy changes so frequently, it's wise to check with the local Chinese Embassy before coming to the country. You cannot enter without a valid visa for a stated purpose. Visa policies are extremely strict now and their enforcement is the most restrictive I have witnessed in my 20 years here.

Regards from Beijing,

David