South African looking to move to Ireland with British Citizen

Hi,

I have some questions about some issues I am still unsure about - any help or clarity would be greatly appreciated to give my partner and I some peace of mind.

So in short, my boyfriend (British passport) and I (South African Passport) are moving to Republic of Ireland this year with the intention of staying permanently i.e. working and living in Dublin. Our plan (according to all the research done) is to book one way tickets to Dublin and at DUB airport, notify the immigration officials at Passport Control of our intentions, as I'm sure they will ask me for proof of a return ticket or some evidence of leaving the country within the allotted 60 day period, whereby we will be scheduled to go to GNIB Offices and see immigration officers where we can justify our intentions to stay and get myself granted "leave to remain" for 12 months. Once we are there, my Boyfriend can start to "exercise his right" as a EU (British) citizen and get registered, get employed etc. After a few months of him working we can apply for the De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission (as we have substantive evidence of living in a marriage like relationship for over two years) whereupon once that gets granted I can get Stamp 4 permission and start to work as well.

If there are any areas in the above scenario where you believe I am wrong could you please help to point them out for me. We are really trying to do everything to get into the country above board and we will have adequate financial backing coming into the country to start a new life.

Please let me know if you have experienced a similar situation or have any advice on the above?

hi,

my name is Sean and im also wanting to do the move you were asking about, have you had any feedback im also looking for help for my wife and what im going to need to do and how it i need to go about it?

Hi all,

Welcome to the Forum and a Happy New Year.

At the top of this page is a link to our "Handy Tools" section; if you select that and then the "Expat guide"; there is an article in there describing the process for obtaining a visa.

Having read this, if you have any specific questions, please come back to us.

Hi there

Are you both in South Africa at the moment. I read that you want to book one-way tickets to Dublin.

That sounds a bit risky as the Irish Immigration may refuse you entry into the country

If your partner is British it may better to book your flights to the UK  - find work online and then fly to Dublin. They have tightened up on immigration 

When I stayed in South Africa I was a member of the South African Irish Association they very help- full with immigration  matters

see link below cut and paste into your browser

ireland.co.za/

irishjobs.ie/

Sean Lewis wrote:

hi,

my name is Sean and im also wanting to do the move you were asking about, have you had any feedback im also looking for help for my wife and what im going to need to do and how it i need to go about it?

Hi Sean,

I have not had any feedback as of yet. I was hoping to get some advice from someone who has already done this move.

I have confirmed that you do need to be in Ireland to apply for "Leave to Remain" for 12 months.

Please let me know if you have found any other information regarding your move?

risteard905 wrote:

Hi there

Are you both in South Africa at the moment. I read that you want to book one-way tickets to Dublin.

That sounds a bit risky as the Irish Immigration may refuse you entry into the country

If your partner is British it may better to book your flights to the UK  - find work online and then fly to Dublin. They have tightened up on immigration 

When I stayed in South Africa I was a member of the South African Irish Association they very help- full with immigration  matters

see link below cut and paste into your browser

ireland.co.za/

irishjobs.ie/

Yes we are both in SA, planning to go over together. I am very scared that they will give us trouble due to my ticket being one way. I read online that it is not a requiremnt to have a return ticket. Due to me only being able to apply for "Leave to Remain" once in Ireland, I thaught that this may make my situation a bit eisier as I would explain my intentions to them.

Have you been in this situation or know anyone who has made this move? Please advise. It all gets very confusing.

Have you contacted the Irish South Association

I have sent you another link

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/em … eland.html

Be thorough with your research from legitimate websites. Flying on a single ticket to Dublin will raise all sorts of questions

Yes I have gotten all my info from the websites that you have sent me. Due to my boyfriend being an EEA national he will basically be treated like a citizen in Ireland. I am not at all worried about his entry.

As a South African I do not need a visa to enter the country, my goal is just to get our de fecto relationship approved as soon as possible, that way I will be eligible to work in Ireland and further my application for Permanent Residence.

I don't want to book a return ticket without knowing what will happen with the paper work etc... I am just looking to find information from someone who has made a similar move to what we are planning.

Hi there,

Please could someone point me in the right direction. 

I've done research and there is just an abundance of information out there.

I am looking to move to Ireland from South Africa and I've not the first clue how to go about doing this.

My bf holds a British Passport and myself a SA passport.

Please if someone could offer some advice on the steps I need to take to get permission to live and work in ireland I would be forever grateful.

Many thanks
Charene

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my situation from my first post. We have both successfully moved to Ireland now. I have just received my stamp 4 in my passport (which allows me to work within Ireland) :)

Thanks for all the advice along the way.

I am happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Great news Tamsin.

I am in exactly the same situation as yourself where my girlfriend is from South Africa and I am a British National but we are looking to relocate to Ireland. Can you please provide more details on the following:

1- What documents you took with you other than passport.
2- Did you just book a one way ticket in the end?
2- Did you get questioned at all at passport control and what did they ask for?
3- How did you go about getting the stamp on your passport? Did they require any documentation?

Much appreciated,

Tony

Hi Tamsin, I have the same questions as Tony.. however I hold a British passport and my husband holds a South African passport. I am not sure if that makes any difference. We have been trying to move to the UK for the last two years but it is quiet difficult with two small children one who was born in the UK with Dual nationality and the other in SA with only a SA passport, but the most difficult part is the finance requirements in order for me to support my hubby and children and the job offer beforehand that is required at a high amount per annum. Would appreciate any advice at all or just in general how you are finding it there? I lived in the U.K. Before but never ended up visiting Ireland. Kind regards Mellissa

Hiya,

I am in exactly the same situation as you. Could I please have your email address or contact number?

It would be so so helpful to know exactly how the process works, how you did it etc if you wouldn't mind on guiding me or updating me with important information about the process?

I do not know much information at all currently. Laura x

Hi everyone, I am living in South Africa but am a UK citizen, my partner is South African.  How do we get to move to Ireland.  I know that it will be okay on my side as I have a BP and can work straight away.  I have looked at many websites but would just like a quick easy guide to getting him over there.  He is 58, a lithographer by trade.  We would ideally like to move asap, as we feel that we have many more years that we can both work and enjoy life which is getting increasing hard in SA.

Congratulations... I am Uk citizen wanting to move to Ireland from South Africa with my South African boyfriend. Would you advise us to marry first this side?  (been together 13 yrs) if yes would he be able to work straight away? if not, same question.  was the one way ticket an issue? Nice to know someone who has been successful.

fsha wrote:

not quiet

Care to expand on your reply?

Hi there!

Are you able to help me. I have so many questions regarding the “move to Ireland”. Im interested in moving there.

Hi there, We are in similar shoes to yourself,  My fiance works in Northern Ireland,  I am currently not working as Im on a visiting visa as it falls under the UK after plenty research we want to do the same as you and move to The Republic of Ireland.

Please advise and where to go who to see even times emails or anything to assist us in the matter.

Congrats on getting everything sorted out and I hooe you have settled well in Ireland.

Just out of interest you mentioned that you had proof of being in a long term relationship, did you need to use that to get leave to remain and if so what did you have to show them. I'm asking for my son and girlfriend of 4 years, he has British passport, she has South African passport, so the same scenario as you.

sueffun wrote:

Congrats on getting everything sorted out and I hooe you have settled well in Ireland.

Just out of interest you mentioned that you had proof of being in a long term relationship, did you need to use that to get leave to remain and if so what did you have to show them. I'm asking for my son and girlfriend of 4 years, he has British passport, she has South African passport, so the same scenario as you.

From my understanding, it would require proof in the form of bills being sent to the same address on either or boths names dating back for a minimum of two years. Well that is what we were told and are busy doing.

Hi Tamsin

My husband is on a British passport and I am on a South African passport, we are wanting to make the move to Ireland. Just looking for some advice as I have done research regarding documents etc to stay in Ireland. It just looks so easy. Once you arrived did you just have to fill in necessary forms.

Look forward to hearing from you

Joan

Hi Tamsin,

I read about your scinario and your succesfull move to Ireland. Please I also need information on how to make the move? I am from south africa and my boyfriend . Did you look for work on your south african passport or what did you do.

Some advice would be great please.

Thanks
Jorina

Hey man, my wife and I are about to do the same move as you did with your boyfriend. We are moving to my aunt in Ballinrobe, we were just wondering if you managed to get over there with a one-way ticket? Some airlines say they won't let me board without a return ticket. Please let me know, some info on this would put our minds at ease.

Regards, Jay & Andy

Hi Tamsin,

I know these posts were over a year ago.

I want to confirm with you and your experience if I may...

So you and your boyfriend successfully moved to Dublin by booking one-way tickets and then registering for permanent stay while there, is this correct?

My wife is a UK citizen. My son and I are South African. We want to make the same move. How would you recommend we do this?

Thank you.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin and welcome to the Forum.

Tasmin has not logged on the Forum for over 18 months now, so is unlikely to respond to your post (or those addressed to her earlier on this year).

In the meantime, since Tasmin made her move to Ireland, the Irish Government have drastically reviewed their policy on the issue of work permits for non-EU citizens and I would recommend that you read the "IRELAND - WORK PERMITS" post at the top of the Ireland Forum.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team