Answer some questions

Hello to all.  I am currently studying cultural communication online.  One of our assignments is to interview another cultural.  Since my Great Grandfather was born and raised in Ireland and I want to go back and get my dual citizenship while there on my honeymoon; I was hoping someone would be willing to answer some questions.  Some for my paper and some for my personal interest?
Thanks,
Tammy Roberts

Hello Tammy,

i started a new discussion to give more visibility to your post.

Please do not hesitate to ask your questions here.

All the best,

Francesca

Hello to all.  I am currently studying cultural communication online.  One of our assignments is to interview another cultural.  Since my Great Grandfather was born and raised in Ireland and I want to go back and get my dual citizenship while there on my honeymoon; I was hoping someone would be willing to answer some questions.  Some for my paper and some for my personal interest?
Thanks,
Tammy Roberts
Questions
I.     Here in American, our primary language is English.  What is Ireland's primary language?  Can you tell me how you would write and say, “Hello, Good Morning, My name is, and Good bye.”   I ask this, because in some cultures although, they may speak English, it is not the actual same way of speaking it as American.  Example would be England verses USA.  England is much more formal in their dialog.

II.    In America, marriage is promoted; but pre-marital living together and pre-marital sex is widely accepted; and more of a general practice, than waiting till marriage.  How is it in Ireland?  Is there any rituals or traditions that are practiced today, at the time of courting and/or marriage?

III.    In America, an ideal family would consist of a father and mother with approximately 2.5 children.  Although today, single parent families are more commonly accepted.  What is your typical family like?  Do children hold responsibilities within the family? Meaning, do boys have certain chores and girls other chores?  What about women's roles verses men's roles within society?

IV.      In America, a normal work week consists of (5) 8 hour days totaling 40 hours a week.  What is a typical work week, in Ireland?  What do people do for jobs?  Do you have an unemployment rate; and if so, what do people do for money, if they are unemployed?

V.    In Ireland are there any traditions that are sacred and practiced today?  What about religious traditions?

VI.      Are there values and beliefs that Irish people have that other culture's many not?

VII.    What do Irish people do for relaxation and/or fun?

VIII.    What social problems does Ireland face, today?

IX.      I know Ireland has many political problems.  What is the most current political problem?

X.    Do you have nonverbal communication patterns that might differ from America?  Example might be:  Eye contact while speaking to another person.  It shows interest in America and disrespect in Zimbabwe.
XI.  People of Irish desent have been known to be heavy drinkers.  Is alcohol and or drugs a major problem in Ireland?

Hey there,

I'm an Italian in Ireland, so keep that in mind reading my answers ;)

I.     Here in American, our primary language is English.  What is Ireland's primary language?  Can you tell me how you would write and say, “Hello, Good Morning, My name is, and Good bye.”   I ask this, because in some cultures although, they may speak English, it is not the actual same way of speaking it as American.  Example would be England verses USA.  England is much more formal in their dialog.

On paper Irish is the primary language, this by the Constitution of Ireland that states

Art. 8.1: The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.

In real life things are like this: if you address a local in Irish it's quite possible to get this answer: "Sorry, I don't speak Japanese" :) Basically all is in 2 languages here, signs, paperwork, exams... I have no idea why. The actual Irish speakers are the smallest language community on earth (less than 10,000 people use Irish at home to communicate nationwide).

About formal English allow me to give you an info: Grammar here is not a school subject (I have 3 kids in school here so I know first hand). They are clueless about formal language. Actually here you are on first name basis since introduction with everybody. I dropped the usage of Mr/Ms in conversational English because people stared at me like I had antennas on my forehead :)

II.    In America, marriage is promoted; but pre-marital living together and pre-marital sex is widely accepted; and more of a general practice, than waiting till marriage.  How is it in Ireland?  Is there any rituals or traditions that are practiced today, at the time of courting and/or marriage?

Here there is the EU record of pregnant children (less than 15 y.o.)... does this answer your question?

III.    In America, an ideal family would consist of a father and mother with approximately 2.5 children.  Although today, single parent families are more commonly accepted.  What is your typical family like?  Do children hold responsibilities within the family? Meaning, do boys have certain chores and girls other chores?  What about women's roles verses men's roles within society?

This is a country that didn't live the Industrial Revolution like the rest of Europe (because of the British occupation), so here you'll find a lot of unacceptable things about this. Women are treated like in the '40s in my country (Italy)... it's quite shocking to see how some element of this society has not evolved at all.

IV.      In America, a normal work week consists of (5) 8 hour days totaling 40 hours a week.  What is a typical work week, in Ireland?  What do people do for jobs?  Do you have an unemployment rate; and if so, what do people do for money, if they are unemployed?

Here the situation is getting worse, but honestly is very complex and impossible to give you a short answer. A lot of Irishmen are leaving the country because of the situation. This is a country that has still a huge farming base, very little industry and a lot of services and construction business. Due to the crisis construction is gone and services are partially gone as well, so the situation is real bad.

V.    In Ireland are there any traditions that are sacred and practiced today?  What about religious traditions?

Nothing is sacred here. These people are Catholic, so they practice (really a lot) that religion, but it's like they leave it in the church when they get out: at home they are almost Pagan by any standard, having Friday night drunk sex, hunting Liberty Caps on October and so on... I guess this also comes with the missed Industrial Revolution.

VI.      Are there values and beliefs that Irish people have that other culture's many not?

None that I know of: if they have any then it's a well kept secret :)

VII.    What do Irish people do for relaxation and/or fun?

They drink :/

VIII.    What social problems does Ireland face, today?

Drinking related problems of all sort, you name it.

IX.      I know Ireland has many political problems.  What is the most current political problem?

Ignorance: here people vote not for ideas but "because my granpa and my pop vote that way"... it's depressing :/ I did 2 years of political activism and was like to live in twilight zone :/

X.    Do you have nonverbal communication patterns that might differ from America?  Example might be:  Eye contact while speaking to another person.  It shows interest in America and disrespect in Zimbabwe.

Shaking hands here is quite uncommon as an introduction/friendly act: here is used to seal a deal, not to show friendship like in the rest of EU.

XI.  People of Irish desent have been known to be heavy drinkers.  Is alcohol and or drugs a major problem in Ireland?

Drugs not really, drinking is a huge problem, the worst situation I've ever seen in my life (I'm 53).

Cheers!
Pino

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.  I needed a little clairifaction on a couple of your answers.
You state women are treated like women were in the 1940's in your country.  I am not familier with how.  Can you explaine?

What to you mean by Y.U.?  Here there is the EU record of pregnant children (less than 15 y.o.)... does this answer your question?

Again, thank you for taking the time to help my with my tern paper.

Have a wonderful week.

Tammy

Kaine wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.  I needed a little clairifaction on a couple of your answers.
You state women are treated like women were in the 1940's in your country.  I am not familier with how.  Can you explaine?

What to you mean by Y.U.?  Here there is the EU record of pregnant children (less than 15 y.o.)... does this answer your question?

Again, thank you for taking the time to help my with my tern paper.

Have a wonderful week.

Tammy

Here in Ireland there is a real early pregnancy crisis, girls aged less than 15 get pregnant on a rate that is the top in Europe, never seen anything like this. Sex here is wrongly approached.

About women, they are publicly treated like the church wants, so in schools they have to wear a skirt (some schools are now allowing pants, but it's still work in progress). Women are underpaid compared to males. Violence on women is not stigmatized as one would expect in a civilized country: actually i still hear people about my age (50+) telling that beating the wife now and then is a good habit to keep clear who rules the house... and so on... honestly odd. Leave alone the word "abortion"... the High Court allowed an abortion caused in a rape victim and that decision is still stigmatised in the country... it's just unbelievable to a person coming from another country like myself.

Best,
Pino

Wow!  I did not realize.  I think Ireland would be a real cultural shock for me.  Guess we all have to be greatful for our freedoms.
Have a great day, and thanks again for taking time out of your day to answer these questions.
Tammy

Hey Tammy,

Your set of questions is very well pointed at discovering the negative aspect of Irish society, but as you might have notice I still live here :) There are also a lot of good things about Irish people, so allow me to tell a few of the reasons I like them even if they have all the problems I listed above.

Irish are unique people: they trust you unless you give them a reason not to, and this attitude is just wonderful. They love their local community and they do live it as a community. This is at risk now because of all the economic boom and the following huge crisis, but they still try to keep it together.

Something that shocked me when I first got here is how people salute you everywhere: even crossing cars... the driver salutes you  while you cross path. If you do so in Italy it's likely to get arrested for harassment because nowadays is unconceivable to salute a stranger just because you cross path... isn't this great in Irish? And they really are open to stop and talk to you, they don't call for help if you stop and start chatting :) Even the tax agents are like this... it's just incredible how the human contact is still real to Irish people... I love that! It's true that they are starting to lose this attitude in the cities, like Dublin and Cork, pity... but you can tell living with them that they do struggle to keep it like it was.

This is a great nation from a human standpoint. Yes they have a really low cultural level, they are still tied to so old sexist concepts... and yes, they drink really too much... but their spirit and their way to value their community makes up for all the rest.

Cheers,
Pino

Thank you.  I did not mean to appear take a negative standpoint against Ireland.  Actually, I am Irish and am hoping to visit one day and get my dual citizenship.  Who knows, maybe even retire there.
The questions were based of other assignments that were previously written and studies done in other aspects of cultural communication differences and problems.
Thanks for the positive side.  I figured people were of a community basis and warm and friendly; or at least most rural places are.  This might be stereotyping, but being raised on a large farm in a small town and now living in "The South,” people who live in rural and less globalized geographical area, tend to be more outgoing, caring, friendly people who tend trust and keep traditional beliefs alive.
Thanks again, for all of your help.

He He PinoEire -Quote: Yes they have a really low cultural level, they are still tied to so old sexist concepts. End of Quote.
I am here over 20 y. I like when somebody speaks out the truth about the place. There are so many stupid myths about the place even the Irish believe in it!

Tammy,
I just want you to be aware that if you ask these questions to 100 different people, chances are you will get 100 different responses. You will not get "answers" to most of your questions - you will be getting individual observations based on our own cultural perspectives.
I am an American (from Virginia) living here in Dublin for 5 years.  I would be gun-shy (pun intended ;) to try and tackle some of your questions, to be honest.  I think it was kind of Pino to take the time to do it.  I hope you continue to gather more responses and information.
Good luck....

Also, Tammy, sorry to disappoint, but you would not be entitled to citizenship.  Only if a parent or grandparent is Irish (and then it's +/- 1000 euro just for the application....)  You can read about the details here.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
And I would imagine you will get some other good information for your term paper there too.

hi everybody!!
My boyf and I are going to move to Dublin..really in short time :-)
we are seeking for a good accoodation and we found a lot on the web, but can you give us any good advice or non so popular, but convenient, link?
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR KIND HELP!!
ps: i am going to study at Trinity College so a location in the centre is most welcome!
thanks!!!
[email protected]

I wouldn't agree that "beating the wife" is acceptable these days. However I have met Irish women who seem to think that men are "the enemy", which perhaps is a legacy of the past.

Hi I am Irish but am living in Madrid at the moment.
Few answers that have been written here about Ireland and its people are complete and utter tripe !

Is there anything else you need/want to know?

hi
i am irish,i am a teacher and i am married,i thank pino for his honesty but the comment about the church domination is silly,the church power in ireland is decreasing very much,and the comment about children outside marriage pertains to young girls from lower income backgrounds.

Hi
pickledonion - maybe you could elaborate about the utter tripe written about  Ireland and its people written here? .....maybe you could give us a view about the Irish Politicien Scene - People  who would not be allowed to manage a Pitch & Putt Club in any other European Country...?

Hi Norma - great to hear from real Irish people here - could you give us foreigners a deeper insight into the Savita Halappanavar case? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_S … lappanavar

I can only second the opinion of PinoEire again: The place is of low culture and has to catch up in more then one way to European Standards.

Hi,
i really dont feel that my thoughts are 100 correct every time but everyone is entitled to an opinion.I think the case was a tragedy for her,her baby and family,i think that the whole situation was mismanaged badly with obvious lack of care given to her and her wishes.i dont know who said the comment about ireland being a catholic country thereby not allowing abortion,but it was a very stupid thing to say .most irish people that i know feel that in these cases abortion should be allowed,i feel sometimes that irish people are nervous about these issues,not from a church standpoint but they feel ambivalent about it from a moral point of view.

Hi Norma thanks for your clarification. I  appreciate this!!
I would like to elaborate on this low Culture thing now that a have a little bit of time. If you look at this abortion issue in Wikipedia for example. Ireland is the only place in Europe or in the world with this restrictive Laws. On the other hand the arch conservative irish clergy which held enormous power over the Irish State was involved in numerous child abuse scandals.

A society controlled by a religious order should be termed as unenlightened.

Education System - about 80% of Irish Primary schools & Secondary schools are patronised by the Catholic Church . Nowhere in Europe will you find the same. This means in practise; Although you will be granted a type of freedom of religion by the Irish State - no matter of your religious or agnostic / atheist background your children will still be indoctrinated by teachers who are not a pair with their European counterparts and standard of secular societies.
Apart of the Religious thing ,  a lot of the education circles around the Irish navel-gazing. Kids have to learn about the Irish language although it is not spoken practically, also here is great emphasis on Irish Nationalism and the whole bla bla. This is very irritating for foreigners as the whole place is  of lower culture then much of the rest of Europe.

Manifold Environmental issues -   the place is full of litter, illegal dumping is common , recycling rate is low. Protection of Flora and Fauna is undermined by low rate of law enforcement and self consciousness.
Compared to EU standards the standard here is low.

Farming Practises

as mention above, a high percentage of irish people work in agriculture. the standard of  irish agriculture regarding the environment  compared to European level is low.
There are few farmers applying organic procedures and many others have to rely on EU subsidies for unsustainable farming practises.

Standard of Politics - nepotism is common, politics are controlled by clans. Corruption is common and normal. Manifold inquiries about manifold scandals only resulted in higher taxes.

Standard of Public Works - although people pay a relative high rate of tax the standard of public works and what you get for your money paid by your taxes is low - atrocious roads full of potholes
the general impression is sloppy - even during the 'Tiger years' there was no concept nor plan
In my opinion is the Irish Republic a failed state

Ireland is a rural Place - the second larges city is Cork with about 180000 inhabitants. Outside of the 3 or 4 larges towns except Dublin , people move in Clans, everybody is related to everybody.

Food - although the place has greatly  improved -  American Style Fast food is the norm. There is great effort by Farmers markets, Slow Food Movement and good Restaurants .

Irish Chic - lots of tracksuits and terrible style all over , the cities are a bit better but the role model seems to be the UK style probably UK TV

Prices - for food and services  for most goods  are much higher then in he rest of Europe - wonder why?