New Las Olas Thread

Seems there was a problem with the old thread and it was eliminated, then a new thread was started questioning why the entire old thread was eliminated, and that thread has been shut down.  So if you want to know anything on this forum or have anything to add, this is the new spot.  Evidently one needs court decisions in your favor to post info here.

So, refresh my memory,  as of today how many residences have been started?  How many have been Completed?  What are the projected dates of same?

Hi Mugtech,

The old thread has not been "eliminated",  it is still on the forum : Las Olas Ecuador development.

However, 4 posts have been removed from the thread as there was an issue of possible defamation.

The new thread, Las Olas thread completely deleted - new investors beware has been closed for the reasons given by Priscilla on the thread itself.

Please feel free to continue on the old thread itself so that there is information continuity.

all the best,
Bhavna

Thank you

Thank you for the clarification Bhavna.

I bought in the hillside condo's  I subscribe to the news letter and I'm on the FB official Las Olas site. It's a slow process because they are building a couple homes initially to make sure they work through any issues or kinks. They are also working on the golf course in tandem.

Hi, We are considering a purchase at Las Olas but I've been seeing a lot of confusing & conflicting opinions on previous forums. These forums are now shut down and I'm very skeptical. We were going to take them up on a tour of Las Olas this March and want to be informed as to the truth of the situation there before we commit to a short expensive trip. Please let me know what's happening 
Thank you, Peter

If you do an internet search you can find from at least as far back as 2011, 6 years ago, this development being promoted.  It's now 2017 and - no homes!

The latin phrase caveat emptor seems appropriate.

Ecuador George has a blog entry from almost 3 years ago that also seems appropriate:
http://www.ecuadorgeorge.com/buying-pro … ecuador-2/

OsageArcher wrote:

6 years ago, this development (was) being promoted.  It's now 2017 and - no homes!

Ecuador George has a blog entry from almost 3 years ago that also seems appropriate:

Great call, Brother Archer.  That's a terrific blog post by ol' Ecuador George.

If nothing else, anybody interested in South America real estate should click on the link above and read the section on “Moral of the Story.”

You get a bonus is you do:  a classic photo of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels as they appeared on the vintage TV show ‘The Lone Ranger'.

cccmedia

any updates to provide on Las Olas?

I can give you an update, but not on the Las Ola's development.

Rather I can tell you that like many folks Ecuador George, who built a brand name and made a bit on blogging all about planning to move to Ecuador, visiting to move to Ecuador, and finally actually coming to live in Ecuador... has...left Ecuador.

That is something of note because it highlights an important point.

Rent, don't buy.

The number of folks leaving is starting to exceed the number coming.

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

I can give you an update, but not on the Las Ola's development.

Rather I can tell you that like many folks Ecuador George, who built a brand name and made a bit on blogging all about planning to move to Ecuador, visiting to move to Ecuador, and finally actually coming to live in Ecuador... has...left Ecuador.

Rent, don't buy.

The number of folks leaving is starting to exceed the number coming.

p
Guess George will be changing his name.

cccmedia wrote:
OsageArcher wrote:

6 years ago, this development (was) being promoted.  It's now 2017 and - no homes!

Great call, Brother Archer.  That's a terrific blog post by ol' Ecuador George.

If nothing else, anybody interested in South America real estate should click on the link above and read the section on “Moral of the Story.”

You get a bonus is you do:  a classic photo of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels as they appeared on the vintage TV show ‘The Lone Ranger'.

cccmedia

Thanks cccmedia, makes me want to listen to the Bill Tell Overture not by Spike Jones.

Not only no homes, but water, electric???

With the new resident visa policy will add additional expenses, expat may will look for other options

pol_can wrote:

With the new resident visa policy will add additional expenses, expat may will look for other options

Please inform us about the new resident visa policy expenses.

Not so much the new visa policy it seems more likely the great uncertainty in Ecuador now with the recent elections (and problems) as well as increasingly difficult economic issues.....
Ecuador is an awesome country but it also has it's problems......

Guys, expats returning home or moving on to another country is a global reality and is not limited to Ecuador. The Brits who are without a doubt probably the most traveled peoples are returning home in droves.

In many cases it's not the destination whether it's Ecuador or elsewhere it's the individual. Loneliness, health, financial problems, failure to adapt are all issues that can lead to an expat returning home regardless of the country they're living in.

if you can't make a life here (or elsewhere) it will be a difficult to stay. And if having solely other expat friends constitutes a social life then you might be a little depressed when you start seeing them leave one by one.

Before the new policy expat apply for permanent resident visa. The permanent resident visa cost was $550 plus legal/lawyer fees and translatio. Now you have to pay for temporary resident visa of $550 plus legal fees and translation and after 2 years you have to pay the same fees gain for permanent resident visa and legal fees if you hire lawyer is some agency to assist you with the visa application, plus additional time you have to deal with bureaucracy. Just the visa fees are $1100, compared to before only $550. Collecting all the documents, notarized and Authentication and Apostille‎ is not cheap and time consuming.

pol_can wrote:

Before the new policy expat apply for permanent resident visa. The permanent resident visa cost was $550 plus legal/lawyer fees and translatio. Now you have to pay for temporary resident visa of $550 plus legal fees and translation and after 2 years you have to pay the same fees gain for permanent resident visa and legal fees if you hire lawyer is some agency to assist you with the visa application, plus additional time you have to deal with bureaucracy. Just the visa fees are $1100, compared to before only $550. Collecting all the documents, notarized and Authentication and Apostille‎ is not cheap and time consuming.

Thank you

"repealed and replaced" by the subsequent post

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

Ecuador George, who built a brand name and made a bit on blogging all about planning to move to Ecuador, visiting to move to Ecuador, and finally actually coming to live in Ecuador... has... left Ecuador.

Rent, don't buy.

Ecuador George has not left Cuenca and Ecuador forever.  He still plans to visit for about a month at a time, probably twice a year.

Ecuador George had three major projects in the past year or so, dating back to the big earthquake in April 2016....

1.  He devoted several months to networking for earthquake relief, including an effort that brought in thousands of meals from Minnesota.  He stopped writing and blogging during this period.

2.  He was diagnosed with altitude sickness and related lack of oxygen and other complications.  He realized that Cuenca at 8,250 feet elevation was not going to be a good place for him to live year-round.

3.  He has been traveling around to lower-elevation places in South America that would be more suitable for his health needs, including Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.  The lower-altitude Pacific Coast of Ecuador is also on his radar.

Source:  ecuadorgeorge.com in a post published today, May 1, 2017.

Although this is a thread about Las Olas, I wanted to set the record straight about Ecuador George.

-- cccmedia

pol_can wrote:

I invite you and and any potential expats with aspirations of migrating to read Criteria for choosing Ecuador. Limiting a decision to migrate based on visa fees might be a mistake. For instance there are countries with paltry visa fees but an expat will not have access to public health system and must rely on private healthcare than can easily cost thousands of dollars a year in insurance. Surely one year of coverage can easily cost more than the cost of visa fees. This is also true for people with children whose children won't have access to free public education.

The point being, it is advisable to look at the entire package of a country rather than erroneously focusing on one aspect.

Yes, I took into consideration other aspects. Ecuador is not cheap anymore. I took into consideration  Cost of living increases in Ecuador, quality of service, bureaucracy. You always gone be the rich gringo from West and target for money. You always gone be foreigner(s). You always gone be target by local criminal. The aspect of loneliness I also took into consideration.

I don't saying Ecuador is bad and try discourage others to move to Ecuador. Everyone has to consider own pro and cons.

pol_can wrote:

Yes, I took into consideration other aspects. Ecuador is not cheap anymore. I took into consideration  Cost of living increases in Ecuador, quality of service, bureaucracy. You always gone be the rich gringo from West and target for money. You always gone be foreigner(s). You always gone be target by local criminal. The aspect of loneliness I also took into consideration.

I don't saying Ecuador is bad and try discourage others to move to Ecuador. Everyone has to consider own pro and cons.

I have replied to this post in the Cost of Living Thread 2017, as I shared my perspective on cost of living.

This thread is getting off topic from the original topic.

pol_can wrote:

Of course one must consider what one is getting and what one is losing.  The health question is primary for some,climate is the main change sought by some, the economic refugee looks closely at the annual total expenses.  Others are concerned with language learning and other related communications problems. For me I prefer access to Medicare, not trying to learn a new language at age 68, like the climates in Ecuador, not wanting to spend another winter in Pennsylvania,  like the slightly lower costs and fresh fruits and vegetables.  I don't want to miss all the free music here from all around the world, AAA baseball less than 2 miles away.  I can take a $27 round trip bus ride to NYC and get on a ship to most anywhere.  I chose to pay a few dollars more and become a snow bird and not give up my culture.  I'm sure everyone must go through this process to determine where to live the rest of their lives.