Visa to Vietnam from America! !! Is it true?

I know Vietnam laws change very frequently, I would like to visit Vietnam in December but I'm looking online for a reliable source to apply for visa on arrival, can anyone recommend a good website? I saw they no longer give 1, 3 or 6 months visa to Americans only one year, is this true?

Yes. 135USD for one year.

This sounds ridiculous but yes, it is.

MeoMun wrote:

Yes. 135USD for one year.

This sounds ridiculous but yes, it is.

The stamping fee at the airport is 135USD. You will also need a letter to pick-up visa at the airport, which is additional cost. My guess is the letter for a tourist visa will be under 50USD.

Try contacting the Vietnamese Embassy in the US, there might be different options if you get the visa there.

I don't care about the  money, I'm just looking for a reliable website to apply for my visa, when i Google it there is so many!! Who knows what's real or fake, can u guys recommend one u used before?

I used vietnam-visa.com/ to apply for 2 friends: a Quebecer and a Filipino.

MeoMun wrote:

I used vietnam-visa.com/ to apply for 2 friends: a Quebecer and a Filipino.

I used the same service ('Murican here).

http://evietnamvisa.com/new-vietnam-vis … lders.html

Here is the evidence. The one year visa does indeed exist and the prices are listed for the letter and stamping fee.

I am going to the immigration office here in Saigon tomorrow and will ask about how this affects U.S. Citizens already here with short term visas. Hopefully we can get the year option by not having to leave the country.

Wow thanks Kenny

What city do you live in?  If it is one with a significant Vietnamese community you might consider getting your visa through a Vietnamese owned travel agency.  They may do the visa without a markup if you buy your ticket from them.  They usually can beat the internet prices for tickets too, probably due to bulk purchases on a single route.

Actually that's a brilliant idea, I live in Connecticut USA  I'll search for a Vietnamese community in my area and go.from.there

Following an announcement made by the Vietnam Immigration Department, all Visa applications of US citizens will be issued for 1 year multiple entries Visa, it does not matter how long you plan to stay in Vietnam, and therefore the stamping fee for Vietnam visa on arrival at airport  applied for US Citizen to Vietnam is increased to US $135.00 per person for a Multi entry visa valid for 1 year – Applied for tourist and business purpose!
Other types of Vietnam Visa including: 1 month single and multiple entries, 3 months single and multiple entries, or 6 months single and multiple entries are NO more available for US passport holders at the moment. The new policy takes effect from August 30 2016.

Service fee for getting visa approval letter: 35-50 USD.

Kenny Gerchow wrote:

http://evietnamvisa.com/new-vietnam-visa-regulation-for-us-passport-holders.html

Here is the evidence. The one year visa does indeed exist and the prices are listed for the letter and stamping fee.

I am going to the immigration office here in Saigon tomorrow and will ask about how this affects U.S. Citizens already here with short term visas. Hopefully we can get the year option by not having to leave the country.

I'm not sure, but I think you will need to leave and re-enter VN if you change to the one year visa. Don't forget on that one year visa you have to leave VN every three months or pay a high price to get an extension. I would go for the one year business visa that is on offer for between 400-500 usd. Vietnams visa system is a joke and will not improve anytime soon.

"Following an announcement made by the Vietnam Immigration Department, all Visa applications of US citizens will be issued for 1 year multiple entries Visa, it does not matter how long you plan to stay in Vietnam, and therefore the stamping fee for Vietnam visa on arrival at airport  applied for US Citizen to Vietnam is increased to US $135.00 per person for a Multi entry visa valid for 1 year – Applied for tourist and business purpose!

Other types of Vietnam Visa including: 1 month single and multiple entries, 3 months single and multiple entries, or 6 months single and multiple entries are NO more available for US passport holders at the moment. The new policy takes effect from August 30 2016."

Note for United States
- 1 year multiple entries visa, for 1 visit, you can stay maximum for 3 months. After 3 months, you must exit and come back again with a new 3 months of staying, until the expiry date of your 1 year Visa.
- You can stay up to 3 months for each visit to Vietnam. After each three months, if you would like to stay more, you are required exit and come back again by air or by land then you will have another three months of staying and so on until your visa is expired.

If you want to stay at Vietnam full 12 months you should get Business Visa.

Sample Vietnam visa for United States:
http://imgur.com/a/ClGLy

Hi reds_196,

Yes, it's true.

"US citizens only -- whenever you're about to enter Vietnam for 1 month, 3 month or 6 months, the single entry visa is no longer available. Only 1 year via for multiply entry applied. It's better & to be more flexible for your entry. This not a problem.

Fee to process visa approval letter: 1 year validity is around $30 USD/person. I can help you well to get it. It takes me around 3-5 working days to get it applied from Immigration office in Vietnam.

After your arrival, you will get stamping fee at Vietnam airport, pay directly $135 USD in cash only. Prepare & bring also to airport your passport with at least 6 months valid, each person with 2 passport size photo (4x6cm)  to get the stamping"

I hope it's helped,
A good day to you,
Jessy

Great information everyone but need confirmation that you can only get the one year visa by flying into either Hanoi or Saigon...

My hope was this could all be done at the border.

You can use visa approval letter at Vietnam airport: Noi Bai Airport ( Hanoi Capital), Tan San Nhat Airport ( Ho Chi Minh City), Da Nang Airport ( Danang City), Cam Ranh Airport ( Nha Trang).

Note

Question:
I applied a visa one month single entry tourist visa on 15th May, 2016. I will go to Vietnam 15th October 2016. Will i have to apply new visa?

Answer:

No, you don't need apply new visa. Your visa will change automatically one year multiple entry tourist visa when arrive Vietnam airport. You will have to pay 135 USD / One Year Multiple Entry.

Note for United States
- 1 year multiple entries visa, for 1 visit, you can stay maximum for 3 months. After 3 months, you must exit and come back again with a new 3 months of staying, until the expiry date of your 1 year Visa.
- You can stay up to 3 months for each visit to Vietnam. After each three months, if you would like to stay more, you are required exit and come back again by air or by land then you will have another three months of staying and so on until your visa is expired.

Hi

Below is the new official Vietnam visa policy

Vietnam:
•    For USA citizens: Visitors entering Vietnam for the first time under the new regulations will now require an application visa letter (50$) and a stamping fee of $135 to be paid at the airport for visa on arrival. Total cost for visa should be around $185. The visa will be valid up to 1 year, with multiple entries. Visitors who enter Vietnam a second or third time, need only to show the previous passport stamps or other relevant documentation at Vietnam immigration. The new regulations are for USA citizens entering Vietnam for tourism, workshops, conferences, personal business, work with agencies or organizations.
•    For other nationalities: One month single entry visa, obtainable on arrival is available with an authorization letter. Authorization letter processing time: 2 week. Cost:  US$ 75 (US$ 50 per person for the Authorization Letter processing fee and US$ 25 per person must be paid in cash on arrival at the international Airport with 2 passport photos). Some nationalities can travel for 15 days visa-free by air (subject to change).

Hope this is help.

Maybe all the visa "invitation" letter peddlers will soon be looking for a new form of income.

Useful information for Vietnam e-visa

Who knows what the government will do with the extra monies.

Or is this just going to be an additional fee?

reds_196 wrote:

Actually that's a brilliant idea, I live in Connecticut USA  I'll search for a Vietnamese community in my area and go.from.there

Probably have to go to NYC.  Wikipedia says near Bowery and Grand.  It might be worth the trip, plus you do away with the letter cost and just pay for the visa.

Once the visa expires after 12 months, can it be renewed locally, or does one have leave the country and apply for a new one?

You have to exit Vietnam and apply new visa.

I just received my new one year multiple entry tourist visa at the consulate in Taipei. I specifically asked about the 90-day exit provision and they advised me that it was not necessary ; that I could stay straight through if I so desired. I questioned this and a supervisor came out to talk with me and verified the same. BTW, I am a US citizen.

ggitchel wrote:

I just received my new one year multiple entry tourist visa at the consulate in Taipei. I specifically asked about the 90-day exit provision and they advised me that it was not necessary ; that I could stay straight through if I so desired. I questioned this and a supervisor came out to talk with me and verified the same. BTW, I am a US citizen.

Be careful. The length of stay will be 'stamped' when you enter Vietnam. Check your stamp when you arrive! Until it is stamped, I would assume nothing and sometimes even after it is stamped.

Not true - you can obtain a one month, 3 month or one year visa as an American

As an American citizen, you can obtain a business visa as easily as you can obtain a tourist visa with the advantage of the business visa being that you can enter and exit and re-enter as many times as you choose to within the year of your visas. You are not required to exit (and re-enter) after 3 months. I have this visa now.

Dr G, can you show us the proof. Dont make wild statements without something to back it up.

“Remember the ‘old' three-month visas you used to get? They will soon be a thing of the past,” US Ambassador to Vietnam Ted Osius wrote on his Facebook page on Monday.

Oh, yes certainly I can. I can show you my current one year business visa just obtained prior to my arrival back from Australia last week. However, how (in what form and where can I display or share this with you - not allowed at this forum site).

Actually the original post is about a tourist visa, not a DN visa.

Gee, lets ask the Vietnam Embassy, do you think, they might know about the visa cost?

---> US Vietnam Embassy website trumps Dr G

Ok this thread is done.

Laws do change, & I have been living in Vietnam for 3 years as of Oct.17th this year. I came here from Orlando, Fl., & with all of the trips I made here prior to the final one, I used local Vietnamese travel agencies to book my flights. They would get the information needed from me along with my passport, & take care of everything. My Visa came back along with my passport & tickets, & was good for 30 days. Since my arrival here in 2013 I have not been required to leave, because I am married to a Vietnamese woman & live here permanently. The best deal I have been able to come up with so far is that twice a year, or every 6 months, I pay $400 USD to have my Visa renewed/extended. I fill out a form, give my wife the money, & she takes care of everything. One copy of the form & copies of my passport & renewed Visa go to the local police, & the money, my passport, & a copy of the form go to the authorities in An-Giang Province. It takes about a week or so & I get my passport & renewed Visa back. It seems to be a bit 'pricey', but it is simple, I don't have to leave Vietnam & return, & there is a chance I can get the price lowered over time, or maybe even get permanent residence status. Anyway, don't know if this helps anyone, but just thought I would share that.

Nationality
Visa Type
Length of stay
Residency
Working rights

These are some of the many critical elements of visas in Vietnam.

Too often I read general statements about the "deal" or other "facts" of someones visa. Until, specifics are discussed it is useless information. But thanks for sharing.

My one-year Business visa (and I don't do business in VN) was processed in 2 days at a cost of $280. Just simple negotiation /communication with the right people will enable any US citizen (only) to obtain this visa.

I just applied and received a visa exemption from US Embassy in Washington DC. Applied mid Sept. and received within one week.  Cost is $70 USD, good for5 years. Must be Vietnamese born, spouse or child.

Hi DHoung, thank you for your story...I am curious about getting such a visa extension for myself.  I plan to be moving to Hanoi by the end of this year, with my wife and child...we would like to settle down in Vietnam long term if possible, as I do have experience as an ESL teacher.  However, I am concerned about the visa status for my family especially my son...and would like to see if they could do a visa extension like you did, if they enter on a tourist visa.  What kind of visa did you enter with?  And they allowed you to extend that visa for 6 months at a time, indefinitely?  Please advise, I would like to find out more about how to stay in Vietnam long term without having to keep exiting and re-entering...thank you

Hi,

In this case you should get ONE YEAR MULTIPLE ENTRY BUSINESS VISA. So you can stay in Vietnam full 12 months no need exit.