Why did I move to Italy ?

This is always one of the first questions people ask me when they meet me in Cortona.
In September, 2015 , I attended the Tuscookany Cooking School in Chiaveretto, Italy. My husband had passed away a year prior. I had spent that year traveling the world with his ashes, leaving them in places he would have loved. My last stop was the cooking school where I donated an olive tree. The other students and I stood in a circle around the hole being dug for my tree. I added some of my husbands ashes to the dirt. It was at this point that I decided Tuscany may be the next chapter in my life. I loved the people, the food , the culture and wanted to spend my days getting immersed in all Italy has to offer....mostly the wine.
I met with a realtor the next day who I had contacted online and she showed me some properties in Cortona.
The very first villa I looked at I fell in love with. It was perfect. It's on a farm with a beautiful garden and a 5 minute drive into the center of Cortona.
I put in an offer and went back to the States to make the preparations for my move to Italy.
My family thought I had lost my mind but it's probably one of the best decisions I've ever made....
I started my blog LoveCortona.com to document my adventures or misadventures along the way.

Nice opening post.
Welcome to the forums and enjoy your adventures.

Salve Nancy
I read your recent post in the Expat.com blog and wanted to reach out to ask your experience in moving to my native and favorite country. Let me first say that I am sorry of your loss and that I am glad you have found happiness in Cortona.
My question has to do with your dealing with the consulate. You mention that you had an “elective “ visa. Could you tell me more about it?
The reason for my asking is that I am strongly considering residing in Italy. A bit about me, I was born and raised in Italy transferring to the US when I was 15. I had to renounce my Italian citizenship when I became a US citizen (at that time, dual citizenship wasn't possible) and, a couple of years ago,   I retired somewhat prematurely but enjoying life was more important to me. So, a good time to  consider. Since my retirement, I spent 3 months  (the maximum allowed without a visa)  in Verona trying to regain my citizenship. I was told it wasn't possible and that I had to return to the US and apply there at a consulate. But, after looking into, the process seems to be very complicated and time consuming. When I checked a couple of months ago , it would have taken a year and half to just make an appointment to speak with someone at the consulate (however it appears that the appointment process has been recently streamlined).
So, how was the process and headaches of moving to Italy?
Looking forward hearing from you. In the meantime, enjoy the culture, the food and the wine (Brunello or Muntepulciano or a Cortana sangiovese?)
Ciao,
Nico,

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I wish you the happiest stay. Wish to be with you there.

Dear Nico,
I wrote about my experience at the Italian Consulate in LA in my blog at lovecortona.com.
I made my appointment 2 months in advance and it took a few months for me to receive my Elective Residence Visa from the Consulate. They need many documents, including bank statements and letters from your bank showing you have enough money to sustain you while in Italy.
You can get all the information needed online from the Italian Consulate nearest to you in the US.
Best wishes on your move,
Nancy