RETIRING IN ECUADOR, any other town like Loja?

hi, single, 69 with 2 small dogs. as soon as house sells, i will be on my way.  loja sounds great. can you tell me of any other town with those attributes.  where do i start here with my arrangements.  also,how do i rent an apt.  when i get there.  .  can afford 500-550 month in rent.   thank you very much.

june0627 wrote:

LOJA SOUNDS GREAT. CAN YOU TELL ME OF ANY OTHER TOWN WITH THOSE ATTRIBUTES.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, June.

1.  Why are you shouting?

2.  What “attributes” are you asking about?

3.  How's your Spanish?  The percentage of English speakers in Loja is tiny compared to nearby (20-some miles) Vilcabamba.

cccmedia

you are kind to respond. is this better. well, I like the small, old time town feel. the welcoming, warm way, museums, festivals, the weather. never been there. only read about it. I will be coming sight unseen.  oh, the fresh food, clean water.

thanks   june

looking into class on Monday.

How about Cotacachi?  Have you heard about it?  There are many people I met there who speak English.  And many expats.  Although you should still learn Spanish.  Beautiful countryside, small town, only 1.5 hours from Quito, where there are lots of museums and culture, and festivals.  The fresh veges and fruit are wonderful there too and the clear clean air.

What do you think about Bahia?  Also what have you heard about Las Olas development

thank you.  thank you.

thank you all.  my next question-who knows when my house will sell.  do I wait until I get there to look for apt?  it would be great to have a place to come two?  thank you, again.

Definitely wait till you get there to rent, June.

1.  Online rental rates are above market rates.

2.  Stay in a hotel a few nights while you get an impression of whether the place is for you.  Vilcabamba and Loja are worlds apart, although geographically just 20-some miles.

3.  Not everybody adjusts to these altitudes.  Regardless of your health, your ability to adjust to the altitude can't be predicted if you're used to living in New Jersey.

4.  It's conceivable you may find the culture/language adjustment problematic in a town such as Loja.  Vilca is more Expat-ready.  Cotacachi, which was mentioned, could be an excellent choice for someone who wants to connect with other North Americans.

Look around first, then make longer term decisions.

cccmedia

good morning--is it the paradise I have read about

Could be.

Keep in mind that temporary culture shock is nearly inevitable, moving to a place where the language is different and where values and customs vary.

If it's Paradise you seek, you might be more satisfied with a view of the ocean/mountains or a vista into the Valley of Longevity (Vilcabamba area) than a third-floor walkup apartment in central Loja.

Cuenca is a beautiful city with a large population of Expats, four rivers and the nearby Cajas parklands.

What does Paradise mean to you?

cccmedia

warm,  welcoming people, mountains, flora, fauna, museums, art, etc.  as a whole, nature and good warm people.  where I can walk alone with no fear.

been reading about Cuenca.  only drawback is the height.  never lived like that.  I have read a lot about culture shock.  after living here, it will be a wonderful experience for me.   I have pnc bank here with auto deposit.  what do I do with banking and I forgot, how much can I bring into country

june0627 wrote:

I have pnc bank here with auto deposit.  what do I do with banking and I forgot, how much can I bring into country?

Up to $10,000 per person on your person, but -- for your security -- don't bring anywhere near that much in cash.

Once you have your residency visa and national ID you can get an Ecuador bank account.   Keep PNC as a backup.  The U.S. Embassy or a U.S. consulate can assist in having any monthly government income transferred directly to your bank account in EC.

cccmedia

you are helping me so much.  thank you.  been reading a lot about cuena.  sounds good to me.  my gut is telling me  go for it.

thanks again.

june

june0627 wrote:

been reading a lot about cuenca.  sounds good to me.  my gut is telling me go for it.

Cuenca has become one of the top destinations worldwide for retirees.

As a result, there are more Expat meetups / events / gatherings there than in any other place in Ecuador.  Such are listed at www.cuencahighlife.com .. www.gringopost.com .. and the Gringo Tree website:  www.tribelr.com

On average, cost of living is higher in Cuenca than other EC places too.

Cuenca is highly recommended for personal safety among Ecuador's many towns and cities for single women arriving from North America.

cccmedia

thank you very much.

Hi there, Bahia is nice, and very peaceful and quite beautiful, but your budget may not be in line with most of the rentals there.  If you are interested in the coast of Ecuador San Clemente and Briceno might be more affordable for you. 

Vilcabamba is also very beautiful but it is far from an airport and is quite small.  Cotacachi is peaceful, very pretty and is an inexpensive place to live.  Fresh food is abundant and there is a nice expat community there, definitely worth checking out!   When you are in the mood for the big city Quito is not far!

You might want to look at this link and see what the average cost of living is in various cities in Ecuador.  It will help you narrow your search to places that are within your budget.  www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp

Hi, been researching Cuenca.  Close to the airport.  I do not want the coast, thanks.  I will check out those you mentioned.  My budget is around 550./month.

Thank you soo much.

June

june0627 wrote:

been researching Cuenca.  Close to the airport....

My budget is around 550./month.

That's an austerity budget amount, to say the least, June.

The real deal:  rent for a one-bedroom apartment in central Cuenca is $373, non-rent cost of living: an additional $511, IESS health care $73, the air travel you mention:  ???

That's closing in on a thousand a month, exclusive of out-of-town travel. 

Resource:  numbeo.com data-base for April 2016

cccmedia

salary is 21000/yr.  what do you think. don't want to watch every penny I spend. do that here 

thanks so much.  what town is cheaper. don't want the beach.

june0627 wrote:

salary is 21000/yr.  what do you think. don't want to watch every penny I spend. do that here 

thanks so much.  what town is cheaper. don't want the beach.

Relax, you'll do fine with 21000 a year or 1750 a month, especially with supporting only yourself and pets. You don't have to resort to the cheapest city/town. With your income you can even save money and fly back home twice a year if you choose.

Here is a rough and liberal budget for your income, which will allow you to rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment or a "luxurious" 1 bedroom apartment in almost any city in Ecuador. It will also allow you to eat out 2-5 times a week, depending on cost of meals.

Rent 600
Groceries 150
Eating Out 150
Health Insurance 73
Internet 50
Gas 5
Electric 30
Water 5
Misc 100 (clothes, pet food, vet, etc)
Transportation 37 (taxis and buses)
Savings 550 (to vacation around Ecuador, south america, fly back home, etc)

=1750

Note: You can pay a little more and opt for private insurance if you prefer.

thank you, tank you - you are so kind.  been thing and reading, there is an airport in Cuenca I will fly into from phila, pa.  thought I would stay somewhere nearby in a hotel while  look for an apt.  any tips on where I can stay.  I did notice most of them have a shuttle from airport.

well, I cant be a rich widow in nj but by the sounds of it I might be able to in Ecuador (just joking).  sAVING MONEY WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS SOO MUCH.  YOU ARE VERY KIND.

JUNE

Considering it's just you on your budget, your economic level would probably be Upper-Middle-Class. Similar to many expat Ecuadorean who've live(d) in North America/Europe.  You'll be able to eat out at restaurants that are deemed prestigious by society here.  Bringing nice brand item clothes, makeup, perfumes, accessories will save you money alternatively you can shop at Zara where shirts/blouses start around $40-$50.

Upper class Ecuadorean can buy items from Kenneth Cole, Armani Exchange, Tommy Hilfiger, etc without thinking twice. The rich class can buy Cartier, etc without concerns. Keep in mind many of the items cost twice of more than North America, and sales are limited.

So judging by your budget, you would be a Zara person.  :one  I know you were kidding, but that pretty much sums up the economic levels of upper middle class and up.

As for recommending hotels, I don't live in Cuenca, but I do recommend staying on a weekly basis in a furnished apartment in the neighborhood you're interested in until you find your new home, AirBnB is a good option.

whats a zara person.  I m very low maintenance.  I am hoping to find an apt. in a charming home. before I was married, I lived in one

thank you very much.

LOOKED UP ZARA.  THANK YOU.

No problem. I wanted to reassure you that your income is quite fine to live comfortably here. Zara was an example of your purchasing power. It is located in Ecuador's most upscale mall, Quicentro, and your income will allow you to shop there or similar places if you want. This is something that the overwhelming segment of Ecuadorean society can't afford to do because one clothing item might cost 10%+ of their monthly income, especially those with minimum monthly salaries of around $360. Theoretically your purchasing power and all expats in general who receive income from abroad should be even higher, but because Ecuador's currency is the dollar, a lot of the purchasing power has been negated. This is especially the case when the dollar is strongest.

Have a nice move and a happy life here.

thank you, again.  that does not sound like vme.

here in nj if I see someone who ask for a meal or money, I do give it. point is-feel for people less fortunate.

I know that I will be happy.  everyone I have talked to have been so nice.

hi, may I ask another question-I saw on line a property management business-rental cuervo.  I think that's the name.  tey handle everything-searching, all paperwork in English and said they will stay with you till comfortable.  they have repaired whatever needs it.

also found Good Samaritan Service. offer same service I am careful about giving money.  thanks.

hope you have a good night.

Zara Girl

june0627 wrote:

I saw on line a property management business-rental cuervo.  I think that's the name.  they handle everything-searching, all paperwork in English and said they will stay with you till comfortable.  they have repaired whatever needs it.

also found Good Samaritan Service. offer same service I am careful about giving money....

Zara Girl

Dear Zara,

Rules of thumb:

Don't rent anything sight unseen. 

Don't pay in advance to anybody through the Internet that you have not personally met. 

Don't believe promises from Internet rental agencies thousands of miles away. 

Don't rent anything until you arrive in town and feel comfortable with the altitude. 

cccmedia

thank you.

GOOD MORNING

Has anyone heard about Hotel Otolonga, Cuervo.  Want to stay while looking for apt. dog friendly.

Thank you.

june0627 wrote:

GOOD MORNING

Has anyone heard about Hotel Otolonga, Cuervo.  Want to stay while looking for apt. dog friendly.

Thank you.

Did you perhaps mean "Hotel Otorongo, Cuenca" ?  I do not have any experience with them but perhaps someone else who does can comment.

Sorry.  Yes. 

Thank you.

june0627 wrote:

hi, may I ask another question-I saw on line a property management business-rental cuervo.  I think that's the name.  tey handle everything-searching, all paperwork in English and said they will stay with you till comfortable.  they have repaired whatever needs it.

also found Good Samaritan Service. offer same service I am careful about giving money.  thanks.

hope you have a good night.

Zara Girl

Good morning,

I've never heard of Cuervo, but the Good Samaritans are a family in Cuenca whose blog I used to read frequently before moving to Ecuador. I don't know them personally, but they seem okay. I'm not vouching for them as I don't know them, but if the process of renting becomes frustrating then maybe contact them and inquire about their service.

There are websites with listings of rental properties and some of the properties are rented directly by the owner. This would be the ideal situation as you don't have to deal with intermediaries. Take your time when searching for a new potential home to rent. Some real estate brokers and owners are pushy and make it seem like the property will be taken if you don't agree quickly, that's just a ploy. Look at many properties to get an idea of rental market value, and after you narrow your choices, re-visit the properties you are most interested in a couple of times more, preferably during the day and at night to have a more complete picture. To give you an idea, we looked at more than a dozen properties before settling on one, and we scrutinized everything about it from checking water pressure to inspecting floor, furniture, appliances, etc. Also observe the street for too much traffic, too much pollution, noise, etc.   

With $600, you should be able to rent something nice in one of Cuenca's newer nicer condominium buildings. Be mindful of the Alicuota (building fee), this is something that the owner of the property should pay. Also some rental properties, particularly in Cuenca include utilities. Negotiate and agree beforehand on anything extra, such as installation of high speed internet, pets, etc. All of these points should be stated in the contract, and translated accordingly if necessary. Continue doing your research before you move and you'll be prepared when you get to Cuenca. Be patient and you'll find the right place for you at proper market value.

Thank you very much.

vsimple wrote:

re-visit the properties you are most interested in a couple of times more, preferably during the day and at night to have a more complete picture. To give you an idea, we looked at more than a dozen properties before settling on one, and we scrutinized everything about it from checking water pressure to inspecting floor, furniture, appliances, etc.... Also observe the street for too much traffic, too much pollution, noise, etc.

Excellent post, V.

I especially like the point about checking out the property at different times of day.

Once, when I was shopping for property near the New York-Connecticut line, I put in an offer on a house on a sloped cul-de-sac.  I re-visited the property several times, including once at 6 a.m. when a garbage truck was doing pickups along the street.  In order to exit the cul-de-sac, the big truck had to back up right in front of the house I had bid on.  This automatically turned on the piercing and persistent audio-warning signal that trucks in that area typically emit when moving in reverse.  At 6 a.m., just feet from the main bedroom in the house !

Naturally, I immediately lost interest in a house menaced by ear-piercing noises twice a week at that early hour.

---

This concept also could have saved A---- from Ambato.  Had she visited her rental-house late at night, she would have noticed the loud 24/7 barking dogs.  By visiting in the daytime, she might have thought the barking was an aberration that would not be a severe round-the-clock detriment to residents in that neighborhood .. and so she rented the problematic place.

cccmedia

sounds like a good idea. thanks.  I know what I want. I mentioned it earlier.

thank you soo much.

hi..another situation for bringing my 2 little dogs. already hecked with airlines. should i ring them with me or use pet relocation service.
thanks.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Post edited : Please do not post in uppercase. Use small letters. Thanks

Hi cccmedia you are always the voice of reason!  June Hi! I will be moving to Cuenca myself this coming January.  I will be moving to Cuenca where I spent 2 month this last November.  It was for me my paradise but there are so many!  cccmedia I find to be a fantastic source of common sense opend minded information.  No, he's not paying for the compliment! He's been Great source for me.  Good luck in your search & move.